Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Since the iPhone 4S has a great camera (better than some digital camera, I must say), I was wondering - can you "develop" pictures from it? Like go to Wal Mart and have it printed out? I'm not talking about printing out from a regular printer at home, but an actual photograph.

I'm looking for a new phone and a new camera, so if I'm able to go to a local Wal Mart and print pictures from my iPhone, then perfect! If not, I'll just buy two separate phone and camera. I just want to know if you can or not, if I have to transfer the iPhone 4S pictures to a USB cord and print it out, then that's fine, as long as I can get it printed.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Yes, they're a high enough quality to be printed. The only problem would be getting the images to the printer since there's no memory card slot on the iPhone.

The easiest would be to transfer them to a flash drive or SD card at home and bring that in to have them printed off of.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
You can also email them to Walmart and pick them up in about an hour. Unfortunately, there's no way to hook up the iPhone to the printing kiosks and print right there.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Since the iPhone 4S has a great camera (better than some digital camera, I must say), I was wondering - can you "develop" pictures from it? Like go to Wal Mart and have it printed out? I'm not talking about printing out from a regular printer at home, but an actual photograph.

I'm looking for a new phone and a new camera, so if I'm able to go to a local Wal Mart and print pictures from my iPhone, then perfect! If not, I'll just buy two separate phone and camera. I just want to know if you can or not, if I have to transfer the iPhone 4S pictures to a USB cord and print it out, then that's fine, as long as I can get it printed.

Of course you can, why wouldn't you be able to? Since pretty much everywhere offers printing from flash drives, just toss them on one and bring it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You can also load them into iPhoto and order prints right from there.

Or upload them to Snapfish.com.

Both services will make prints and mail them to you. Not as fast as Wal Mart, but very convenient.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Unfortunately, there's no way to hook up the iPhone to the printing kiosks and print right there.

The iPhone presents itself as a standard digital camera/mass storage to Windows, so I presume with a USB -> dock cable and USB port it should connect directly just fine.

B

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
There's nothing about the iPhone's photos that prevents this. They're just the same as any other digital image.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The iPhone presents itself as a standard digital camera/mass storage to Windows, so I presume with a USB -> dock cable and USB port it should connect directly just fine.

B

I've never tried it, but I suspect you're right. If Windows thinks the iPhone is a digital camera I'm sure those kiosks do too.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
yes. I've done 48 x 24 displays with 4S photos. Come out very nice, not perfect like a Phase One 80 megapixel medium format dSLR but great nonetheless.

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
yes. I've done 48 x 24 displays with 4S photos. Come out very nice, not perfect like a Phase One 80 megapixel medium format dSLR but great nonetheless.

Would be better than my camera regardless! I have those digital cameras from Sony and I swear the iPhone shoots better quality!

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
For those in the US, check out the Walgreens app. It's pretty amazing. You create a free account with them and then from the app you can select any picture on your phone or Photo Stream. You can then have it printed in any size and quantity you want. You select which store to retrieve your prints and select a time. That's it. Walk into the store and your prints are ready.

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
What Sony camera do you have? I have a Sony DSC-TX10 and the images that come out of its backside illuminated sensor is great. The older Sony camera's used a CCD sensor.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W90
prodimg

Key Features:
• 8.1 Megapixel
• 3 x Optical Zoom
• 2.5 in LCD Display
• Video Capture
• Face Detection

Is it a good camera? I mean, I've had it for five years. It has 8.1MP, more than Apple. But which camera is better? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.