Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, who has long been a proponent of an Apple television set, reported that Apple was investigating components for just such a product, contacting suppliers to learn about the capabilities of their various offerings.

apple_tv_2012_interface-500x308.jpg
As shared by Business Insider, a new report from Jefferies & Co. analyst Peter Misek claims that things have now moved a step further, with his recent visit to Asia yielding reports of "small quantities" of various components being shipped to Apple's television display panel partners. Misek expects that commercial production of an Apple television set will begin in May or June, with a launch coming sometime in the fourth quarter of this year.
Evidence of commercial iTV production is starting: we believe specialty components have begun to ship to Apple's Asia panel suppliers with polarized films, filters, and IGZO components starting to move in small quantities. We expect commercial production in May/ June with 2M to 5M builds likely. We still expect a CQ4 launch.
Despite resistance from content providers, Apple has also been rumored to be pressing ahead to develop a subscription TV service for launch by the end of the year, in line with predictions for the launch of the television set itself.

In his report today, Misek has also raised his price target for Apple's stock from $599 to $699, boosting his iPhone sales prediction for the current quarter by over 5 million to 33.2 million units.

Article Link: Components for Apple Television Set Reportedly 'Starting to Move in Small Quantities'

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Same story, different day. Although I am in the camp of not believing that this will happen I am always curious what Apple could possible do with this.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm not a huge fan of the new Apple TV's interface - looks too busy, and is using iOS's stack of static icons.

Something Plex like would be nice. I really hope that isn't what the GUI for the Apple Television will end up like..

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Remember that story about Apple new hires working on fake products?

"Excellent work, guys! You've passed our entrance exam and now you can work on a real product, :apple:TV."

Ahahahahahahaha!!!!

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Something tells me the apple tv set will be a "major dissappointment" yet go on to sell millions and change the industry.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.5.27452/27.1324; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Evert tv made is already a retina tv. viewing distances of 10 feet and even a 480p is retina on a 42" screen lol.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
If I'd known anything about any of this three years ago, I'd have blown my entire redundancy check ($40k) on Apple shares. Bugger.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Whatever Apple does with a supposed TV set, as long as they keep offering the small :apple:TV box for nearly the same functionality then I don't care.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
It's going to be hard for Apple to make sure these TV sets don't get leaked (if they are even going to build a TV) TVs will be much harder to keep private. I hope to see some good parts leaks in the next few months :)

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of the new Apple TV's interface - looks too busy, and is using iOS's stack of static icons.

Something Plex like would be nice. I really hope that isn't what the GUI for the Apple Television will end up like..

i agree. i prefer the previous UI, however if they are doing this to lay groundwork for an App Store all is forgiven.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
reports of "small quantities" of various components being shipped to Apple's television display panel partners.

That would suggest to me they're still in the prototyping stage of development.

It's just too many products in one year: iPad 3, iPhone 5, new design MacBooks, new 7" device, etc. Apple doesn't tend to operate like that.

I still think the Apple TV will launch in 2013 once they've got all the content deals in place.

thelonelylimo

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2010
Ohio

It's just too many products in one year: iPad 3, iPhone 5, new design MacBooks, new 7" device, etc. Apple doesn't tend to operate like that.

I still think the Apple TV will launch in 2013 once they've got all the content deals in place.

051O7

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
never to late to buy shares. in 3 more years they could be 1500 :)
If you look at the history of tech shares they tend to only move forward like this while a company is experiencing rapid growth and is white hot. However the bigger Apple gets the harder it will be to maintain 50% sales/profits growth every quarter and things will inevitably start to level off.

Institutional investors are always weary of investing too much in tech companies because they know from past experience that today’s star can become tomorrow’s fallen star. All it takes is a technology shift, someone to invent something that changes the whole landscape, the iPhone to lose its shine for whatever reason and Apple's shares would come tumbling back down again. It happened to Cisco. It happened to Microsoft.

So to cut a long story short the institutional investors are simply not going to let the shares get that high because that would be to expose themselves to catastrophic risks if anything unforeseen happened IMHO.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I'm scared. I have a fairly new $2000 58" plasma. If apple releases this thing this year and it's amazing........I may get thrown out of the house for buying this thing. Haha.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
never to late to buy shares. in 3 more years they could be 1500 :)

So the company's market capitalization would be equal to the GDP of the entire United States? I can totally see how a $100-$150 billion a year company is totally worth that price.

:rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

That's assuming they get content deals. Though I can't see them releasing a TB set unless they have something to offer other than the current Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.