Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I don't see why more don't think this is possible...obviously Apple is concerned about Kindle Fire, and the rest of the cheap tablets...Apple needs to compete in this space...ignoring it would be foolish

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
"Hold off on buying our 7" tablet, because Apple's got one coming soon." - Samsung

samsunged.jpg

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Samsung might be playing with Apple here. Maybe payback for the patent lawsuit game. Samsung is currently the only good source for manufacturing displays and chips that are good enough for some of Apple's products. So Apple can't dump them (immediately), unlike they did with a certain graphics chip company for leaking stuff.

A weird form of high-tech death-match poker between the biggest companies in the world. As long as Samsung has a world lead in high-volume manufacturing technology for certain components, and Apple has the world lead in consumer product design and distribution requiring such, the game might continue.

js369

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
The size is unlikely, and OLED is just not Apple. They've actually spoken against it I believe.

As for "iPad mini" - Am I the only one who hates this as a name? Even if Apple do release a smaller iPad?

I think the name sounds perfect, but I really think they should just mix it up a little and call the two different models the MiniPad and the MaxiPad. ;)

I actually would love to see this 8 inch smaller iPad, but somehow I doubt it will ever occur just because of the fact that other companies got there first. They could offer a 8 inch iPad with the resolution of the old iPad 2's and also throw in a 4.5 inch bigger iPhone with the same resolution as the current iPhone to meet the various needs of anyone not satisfied with their current offerings. As long as they maintained a similar profit margin on each model it wouldn't matter if they cannibalized the sales from other lines, just as long as it prevents an emergence of a new competitor such as the Fire it would be worth it. I really don't think these will happen though because Apple would need to admit that someone else recognized the demand for these products before them.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I still doubt that Apple will make a smaller iPad any time soon, especially now that they dropped the iPad 2 in price. Apple has shown time and again that they are just not interested in creating cheap products to compete with other devices that cost less. The Kindle Fire isn't iPad competition. If anything it's a gateway drug that gets people hooked and when they want more they get an iPad.

I think we'll see Apple do something different with the iPod touch and maybe even make that a bit bigger before we see a new sized iPad. The iPod line has been on a steady decline for a while and is overdue for some innovation while the iPad is at the top of its game right now. If they continue the trend of positioning the iPod touch as a gaming device, then we could conceivably see a larger iPod touch with a focus on gaming. But as a music player, making the iPod touch larger doesn't really make much sense.

jperry2010

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Austin, Texas
I don't see this as likely, but I see it as more likely than it was before.

Sorry if someone said this already, but I could envision a senario such as the following:

Full sized iPad has the retina display. Smaller iPad has the same resolution of the iPad/iPad 2, but on a smaller screen. It certainly could be done, as evidenced by the new iPad with it's incredibly high resolution for the screen size. Smaller iPad sells for about half the price as the base model regular sized iPad.

Just my $.02.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
March 2012

Typical MacRumors poster: "Apple will never do this, it'd be stupid, Steve said it would be stupid, no one wants this, the current iPad is perfect for everyone! The Kindle Fire sucks!"

October 2012

Apple releases 8" iPad

Typical MacRumors poster: "Brilliant! Perfect! Apple knows what they're doing! Haha, I've always said this was a great idea! Apple's going to wipe the floor with the Kindle Fire!"

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Let's face it, there will not be a 7" in tablet. It would cannibalize sales of the iPhone or the iPad while yielding lower margins. There will also not be some fancy Apple TV remote. There is simply no need and market for one, as far as Apple is concerned. Not worth the investment. Let game developers make their own controls.

TwinMonkeys

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
I still doubt that Apple will make a smaller iPad any time soon, especially now that they dropped the iPad 2 in price. Apple has shown time and again that they are just not interested in creating cheap products to compete with other devices that cost less.

Yeah, I think this rumor is BS. I doubt that Apple cares if Amazon sells a few Kindles as long as they dominate the premium portion of the market. Apple's tablet market share may eventually go down a bit, but their margins should remain the best in the industry.

I think it goes against Apple's character to create a smaller tablet. I'll believe this rumor when I see it.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Finally! The only thing letting the iOS devices down were the LCD screens. If the implement OLED screens within the next 2-3 years, they would literally rule the market.

magicsoft

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
What sense would it make?

First, why would they make an iPad that is less than 2 inches smaller than the existing one? It's just not a significant difference.

Second, why would they do that when there is such overwhelming demand for the existing size?

Clearly they don't need to make an iPad in a different size to capture more sales, and anything smaller than the current size would be insufficient for many of the apps where screen real estate is a concern.

A

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
First, why would they make an iPad that is less than 2 inches smaller than the existing one? It's just not a significant difference.

Second, why would they do that when there is such overwhelming demand for the existing size?

Clearly they don't need to make an iPad in a different size to capture more sales, and anything smaller than the current size would be insufficient for many of the apps where screen real estate is a concern.

A

I would like to have 200-300 USD iPad 7"
I would never, ever, never pay over 300 USD for useless tablet which is just another peace of junk that "man needs"

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Samsung has little to worry. They sell 7.7" tablet with SAMOLED panel. Apple tablets are not going to get this tech so they will be inferior anyways.

And this is based on what evidence?

It's based on the fact that Samsung has been using their OLED panels exclusively for their own devices for many years now. Besides, OLED panels are too expensive. Apple generally prefers to use cheaper components.

----------

As for "iPad mini" - Am I the only one who hates this as a name? Even if Apple do release a smaller iPad?

You are not alone. Everybody hates iPad name because of certain connotations of "I pad" phrase. Still, "iPad mini" sounds much better than "iPad maxi":

maxi_pads.jpg

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Samsung might be playing with Apple here. Maybe payback for the patent lawsuit game. Samsung is currently the only good source for manufacturing displays and chips that are good enough for some of Apple's products. So Apple can't dump them (immediately), unlike they did with a certain graphics chip company for leaking stuff.

A weird form of high-tech death-match poker between the biggest companies in the world. As long as Samsung has a world lead in high-volume manufacturing technology for certain components, and Apple has the world lead in consumer product design and distribution requiring such, the game might continue.

I wonder about how the various managers at Samsung feel about their counterparts in other Samsung divisions.

Let's say, you're the manager of the Samsung mobile display division (note - I'm guessing they have such a division) ... wouldn't you be pissed that the guy(s) in charge at Samsung's smartphone division keeps taking shots at your best customer? You must cringe everytime you see one of those Samsung'd ads on TV. Just counting down the days until LG (or others) can get their crap together and Apple dumps you.

I have absolutely no idea on how Samsung is structured as a company. Nor do I have any insight into Korean culture. Maybe they're all team players over there????

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I doubt it.

I didn't until the iPad event yielded no smaller version. It makes a lot of sense and I was left on the edge of my seat when Tim Cook said "Across the year you're going to see a lot more of this kind of innovation. We are just getting started." With the banner behind him saying 'There's a lot to look forward to.' :D

I see some crazy and really kick ass products coming. I think they want to compete with the Kindle. And I think they will if they see a way to do that. They may test out the sales of the discounted iPad 2. But there is going to be some cool stuff on the way.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Yes, it requires all that, but considering it would be a many millions of units a year seller there is enough volume to justify the upfront costs. I think it is a useful size. Being able to carry the product in a coat pocket or a small purse would mean the product would be carried with a person more often. An iPad of any size that is with you is more useful than the one left at home.

I don't think 2 inches is going to make a world of difference. It will just make the iPad look like an oversized phone. It's still going to be too large to fit in your pocket and too small to really enjoy browsing on.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
we'll see if this actually happens
might be a smart move to monopolize the whole tablet industry

Why would that be a smart move?

From Apple's point of view, why wouldn't they want to monopolize the whole tablet industry. In fact, from Apple's point of view, why wouldn't it want to monopolize the whole electronics industry. Apple's purpose is to make as much money as possible. Apple is not a non-profit, it is a profit making venture.If Apple could be the sole supplier of all electronics, why wouldn't Apple be happy with that?

Now, from a consumer point of view, that would not be so hot, considering the benefits that competition confers upon the consumer. No competition, no price restraint at all (not that Apple worries too much about pricing, but without competition it would be uncontrolled), no pressure to improve and innovate, and so on. It would be a disaster for the consumer.

But from Apple's point of view, I don't see the downside to monopolizing the tablet market.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
There will never be a smaller ipad

Get it threw your heads people. There will never be a smaller ipad and there will never be a bigger iphone. Apple has already told you this.

Jaredly

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
Why is everybody concerned with apple competing against the Fire. Apple has never had a lower price point on something just to be able to compete (besides the iPhone). When MP3 players could be purchase for 50 bucks did apple ever once try to make their iPods cheaper? Apple has never been a company for budget conscious people, they create the best product they can at the cheapest price not the other way around and for this reason I don't think we will ever see a cheap 7" iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.