Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cabinet Ministers in the United Arab Emirates have been issued iPads as part of an e-briefcase initiative to streamline cabinet communications and operations. His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, prime minister of the UAE, tweeted this photograph of three ministers using iPads at a cabinet meeting.

We also launched the "Minister e-briefcase" for cabinet members. We want to automate all cabinet processes and operations. The goal is to achieve speed and flexibility in decision making. Ministers were given iPad devices. I received one too.
The iPads should allow ministers to maintain better communication with their federal ministries, and reduce the amount of paper they must carry.

Via Obama Pacman

Article Link: UAE Ministers Given iPads as Part of E-Briefcase Initiative

michealwillard

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2006
I bet if the Congress and the House gave away free iPads, some of the politicians might actually show up for work.

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Bet they feel dumb. Getting iPad 2 ought before the new one comes out :)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can bet they'll upgrade to iPad 3 next week, and leave the iPad 2 to the teaboys.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas

I'm pretty sure they have the money to upgrade. BTW, there was an old joke about oil royalty:

A Mercedes dealer gets the 4th order within 4 weeks for a top-notch S-Class Mercedes from the same oil family, trading in the last one for half price. He is worried that his customers are not satisfied and asked what the problem with the old one is. The driver answers: "The ash tray is full." and drives on with the new one. :rolleyes: :p ;)

Contrary to the joke, most of the oil-rich countries are actually using the money to invest into a future without oil. They know oil will not come out of the ground forever...

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany

These devices have undergone months of testing and certifying for governmental use.
It's quite likely that if they had started negotiating and testing iPads later when there was a final design for the third generation, they would have already peaked at the fourth by the time they would have gotten them.

Then again, I totally agree with you... I'd sit there as well watching my family and friends using iPad "3"s and me driving to work with my iPad 2 in my suitcase... Thinking... "Aw man"

This case is largely similar to the airplane one...
And that other one I can't remember atm... (although it's the more recent one and got the same kind of replies... lol (no offense))

Hehe

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
On that note:

This is not something too unusual: Our regional hospital gave the executives the choice either to get a private iPad and keep the iPhone or get an iPad and use your private phone in orhder to save $5k printing costs just for the board meetings alone - not to mention the better communication via email etc. Sure, that is not worth a headline, but it makes sense in a business perspective. The idea for congress is therefore maybe even a good one. Just imagine if you could have the healthcare bill or the PATRIOTS act in electronic form instead of paper - they might even look into what they do and could search for keywords and so on.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Contrary to the joke, most of the oil-rich countries are actually using the money to invest into a future without oil. They know oil will not come out of the ground forever...

But it will for the foreseeable future. At least the next 100 years.

Some countries are investing for the future but most aren't. The UAE really isn't since they've still got plenty.

Flore

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Dubai
Some countries are investing for the future but most aren't. The UAE really isn't since they've still got plenty.

Dubai - second largest and most populous emirate of the UAE - managed to get down the contribution of oil to the GDP to below 10%.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas

ElderBrE

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
Dubai - second largest and most populous emirate of the UAE - managed to get down the contribution of oil to the GDP to below 10%.

Sounds logical since Dubai has almost no oil... It's Abu Dhabi that has got the oil in the UAE. Heck, they had to rescue Dubai from bankruptcy not so long ago, reminder is a certain Burj Khalifa...

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Need to track and map your beheading and stoning activities?

There's an APP for that!

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Show me a country where the cabinet uses electronic communication and record keeping, and I'll show you a parliament without subpoena power...

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
But it will for the foreseeable future. At least the next 100 years.

The UAE are doing a **** load better job than most other countries. Watch a documentary, read a book, watch the news for once. Unbiased style btw.

Rednecks....

----------

Show me a country where the cabinet uses electronic communication and record keeping, and I'll show you a parliament without subpoena power...

lol i love it how all the kids use the most trendy words, in this case subpoena which just got blogged here a couple of hours ago to add to their fake status

----------

Need to track and map your beheading and stoning activities?

There's an APP for that!

wow. racist and untrue much? back to school for you.

----------

Finally someone who has been keeping up with things. Congrats, you are a small percent of the people posting on this forum who actually are not and idiot.

dieselmcore

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
Wow...

I swear the level of ignorance with some of these comments is appalling, beheading? stoning? wtf are u vomiting? have you ever been the to UAE? Ever seen a case of beheading or stoning there? if not, then i suggest u ****...

I'm a citizen of the UAE, and we are in the forefront of most countries when it comes to development and infrastructure...

Cant blame u, just brainwashed sheep... Please go back and get spoon fed more trash from Faux news...

(i mean no offense to the enlightened, educated members of this forum, this post is directed to the ignorant idiots, who generalize based on race or which ever basis flawed they used to spew nonsense)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.