Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
That's about the gist of the problem.

I've tried clearing cookies/history and also turned off iCloud. My Safari has become almost unusable as 50% of websites make it crash.

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
That's about the gist of the problem.

I've tried clearing cookies/history and also turned off iCloud. My Safari has become almost unusable as 50% of websites make it crash.

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

Nope, I have an iPad 1 and have been running into the same problem for months. Safari will crash on me 5+ times a day.

As I just posted in my own thread, I discovered earlier today that my iPad has about 20 GBs of space being used that I cannot account for. All my music and videos are in iCloud, and all my apps combined add up to about 8 GBs. Yet my iPad says I am using 28 GB. I'm starting to wonder if that has something to do with it.
I might just try starting fresh and restoring from my iCloud backup (which is only about 1 GB), and seeing if that improves things.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
Have you tried double clicking the home buttom and then finding the safari icon in the bottom holding it until it wiggles and then click the x to close it down completely?

Yes, that doesn't help :(

cnly

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
I had the same problem, tried multiple ways of fixing it. I recently restored the iPad in iTunes then set up as new and that seems to have finally solved the issue. Restoring from a back up didn't work. Of course you lose all your settings and app data by doing that but apparently it was something in the back up that was screwing safari up.

Voxone

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I've had the same problem since updating my software to iOS5.0.1. A colleague has voiced the same issue. It will be interesting to see if iPad3 fixes that VERY annoying glitch. Or do we have to wait for iOS6?

Last edited:

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I think Apple does something to the OS so that older devices don't work as good and you upgrade to the latest version. My iPhone 4 & iPad 1 is slowing to a craw.

Reactions: MrMoonshine

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sure many of you may Have already updated to the new 5.1 software, but just in case you haven't, you'll be pleased to know that the new update fixes these app crashing and stability problems tremendously! Our beloved iPad 1's are usable once again.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I had the same problem, selling my iPad1 and buying the iPad3, i'm pretty sure it has to do with the amount of RAM as it's the really motion GFX pages that seem to crash it the most, although it can very randomly.

I'll be devastated if it keeps happening with the new iPad :(

I use my iPad more than my Macbook and MacPro, almost as much as my iPhone

iohass

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Canada
I'm sure many of you may Have already updated to the new 5.1 software, but just in case you haven't, you'll be pleased to know that the new update fixes these app crashing and stability problems tremendously! Our beloved iPad 1's are usable once again.

my ipad1 is on 5.0.1 right now, but if i upgrade to 5.1, i lose the JB. however if this does indeed fix the crashing problem, i will probably have to do it

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
my ipad1 is on 5.0.1 right now, but if i upgrade to 5.1, i lose the JB. however if this does indeed fix the crashing problem, i will probably have to do it

It did indeed fix the crashing issues and other lags and makes our OG iPads much better, essentially back to 4.x. I, too, was untethered jailbroken, but the jailbroken state didn't give me any added value with almost all my essential apps crashing all the time. I had to resort to using springtomize to disable multitasking just to get any stability at all, and even that didn't work as well as I needed it to.

One fallback plan is to update and jailbroken tethered. If you use your iPad around the house or will have access to computers (work, school, etc.) & can load redsn0w in a hidden folder in case of a dreaded needed restart, that could suffice until the untethered one's available. I haven't rejailbroken mine just yet, but I feel I'm going to during my spring break to get all my tweaks and jailbroken apps back.

iohass

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Canada
It did indeed fix the crashing issues and other lags and makes our OG iPads much better, essentially back to 4.x. I, too, was untethered jailbroken, but the jailbroken state didn't give me any added value with almost all my essential apps crashing all the time. I had to resort to using springtomize to disable multitasking just to get any stability at all, and even that didn't work as well as I needed it to.

One fallback plan is to update and jailbroken tethered. If you use your iPad around the house or will have access to computers (work, school, etc.) & can load redsn0w in a hidden folder in case of a dreaded needed restart, that could suffice until the untethered one's available. I haven't rejailbroken mine just yet, but I feel I'm going to during my spring break to get all my tweaks and jailbroken apps back.

I upgraded to 5.1 last night then I opened a thread on this very forum and safari crashed again.

It was a wallpapers thread, so I'm sort of not surprised that it crashed, but it's extremely disappointing.

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
As a workaround, I find that Atomic Browser is more stable (at least for the sites I visit). I'll have to update to 5.1 and see if that helps.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have definitely noticed that loading graphic-intensive websites and many other apps tends to crash the app or Safari after an extended period of time on 5.1. In 5.0.1, it would crash immediately, so we have much more lead time, but it seems it's just the nature of the beast. Our RAM is just so limited and the web and app development is ever-changing. Soon our beloved devices will be left behind, but I'm sure we have much more time with it before then.

iohass

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Canada
I have definitely noticed that loading graphic-intensive websites and many other apps tends to crash the app or Safari after an extended period of time on 5.1. In 5.0.1, it would crash immediately, so we have much more lead time, but it seems it's just the nature of the beast. Our RAM is just so limited and the web and app development is ever-changing. Soon our beloved devices will be left behind, but I'm sure we have much more time with it before then.

that's BS. obviously the ipad has its limitations, but it doesn't mean it should crash. prior to 5.x my safari would also slow down on graphic-intensive websites, but it didn't crash.. it would just lag excessively which is understandable given the amount of ram.

now you are visiting the same websites with same graphic load and they crash. only difference is newer ios.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
that's BS. obviously the ipad has its limitations, but it doesn't mean it should crash. prior to 5.x my safari would also slow down on graphic-intensive websites, but it didn't crash.. it would just lag excessively which is understandable given the amount of ram.

now you are visiting the same websites with same graphic load and they crash. only difference is newer ios.

I personally haven't had a crash yet in any app since 5.1. I'm accounting for other accounts for other users. Many users are reporting performance as that prior to 5.x, as am I.

Celf

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
it's an OS bug. I reflashed my iPad 1 with the latest rom, installed nothing and did not restore any setting or program (setup as a new user) still Safari crashes a few times day. Very annoying.

rmtakesover

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
Safari and other apps crash.

I updated to 5.1.1 and it's about as bad, if not worse. Not only does safari crash, but some of my news apps as well. Also there's lag time when I type.

dchiu

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
APPLE store cannot solve the 1st gen IPad problem

I even installed google chrome and it has the same problem

I updated to 5.1.1 and it's about as bad, if not worse. Not only does safari crash, but some of my news apps as well. Also there's lag time when I type.

I have same problem on my ist gen iPad even i went to Apple store to ask for solution. They even unbox a brand new 1st gen iPad & ask me to pay for it but during my trial with Facebook timeline & other news apps, same problem is happened again.

No solution or suggestion from Apple store. Only advise is waiting for their hardware / software engineers further investigation if there are more complaints but so far I am the only one reported to them. It means Apple will not solve it until my iPad is end of life.

I am asking why ist gen iPod mini can be replaced free of charge per their webpage announcement. 1st gen iPad is doesn/t care ? Apple store genius can only say " SORRY ABOUT THAT ".

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Nope, I have an iPad 1 and have been running into the same problem for months. Safari will crash on me 5+ times a day.

The memory handling of iOS is one of the worst by today's OS standards. There is absolutely no protection against immediate crashing when starting to dynamically load something that you can't know the memory use beforehand and, therefore, can't just ignore doing it. Web page loading via UIWebView is typically one of these; this is why Safari (or third-party browsers) constantly crash on particularly the lower-RAM models (but also on higher-spec ones like the iPad 3 / 4 - but, of course, with far less frequency).

(BTW, having been asked a question on this at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16199770#post16199770 , I'll publish a entire article on all these questions, where I'll compare iOS to the memory handling model of competing OS'es as well.)

----------

No solution or suggestion from Apple store. Only advise is waiting for their hardware / software engineers further investigation if there are more complaints but so far I am the only one reported to them. It means Apple will not solve it until my iPad is end of life.

It can't be solved unless Apple significantly changes the memory model of iOS. That'll hardly happen - particularly not with the EOL'ed iPad1's not receiving any OS upates any more.

As I've pointed out above, the memory handling of iOS is one of the worst.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.