Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrunner

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
How do I change the pre settings to a higher setting like 1920x1080? mine won't let me go above 720x480?!?!

Sounds like you are using a dvd source in which case you cannot size up past the source since there is no point in doing so.

Edit: well you can with custom anamorphic. but 720 to 1920 is a heck of stretch..[/QUOTE]

Newbie question: Will I gain anything by going to ATV3 from ATV2 if I only use dvd source files (ISO)? Same question for viewing pictures using iTunes?

Thanks....

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
Not sure. we talked about turning around a quick release with a new preset. But there are other considerations....

yes, nightlies are stable enough that I use them all of the time ... that said .. its a nightly and could contain bugs etc. For now Go with nightlies once they are back and running. As for right now 0.9.6 is as new as anything we have for mac.

If we wanna stick with the "official" release will the new preset be available under "Update Built-in Presets", or are there other reasons for using the nightlies?

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Right now I'm able to encode Blu-ray discs using the Apple TV 2 preset and they work on our iPhone 4S, iPad 2, Apple TV 2, and Xbox 360 Media Center Extender. We are upgrading to the new iPad (FedEx tracking already received :D) and an Apple TV 3. My question is will the Xbox 360 Media Center extender playback a new Apple TV 3 preset when its released? If so, I have all the Blu-ray main movie folders backed up ready to re-encode our favorite titles in 1080p.

atandon

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Right now I'm able to encode Blu-ray discs using the Apple TV 2 preset and they work on our iPhone 4S, iPad 2, Apple TV 2, and Xbox 360 Media Center Extender. We are upgrading to the new iPad (FedEx tracking already received :D) and an Apple TV 3. My question is will the Xbox 360 Media Center extender playback a new Apple TV 3 preset when its released? If so, I have all the Blu-ray main movie folders backed up ready to re-encode our favorite titles in 1080p.

Can't comment on the xbox but i know ps3 supports this. The mp4/m4v container is actually well supported by most devices (compared to mkv).
BTW, I presume u are using handbrake. The apple tv2 preset forced max o/p resolution to 720p. You may want to start using high profile instead if you are interested in 1080p

----------

Folks,
Had a question regarding the picture settings in handbrake. For my blu ray encodes I use the high preset and my picture settings are as under -
o decombing and detelecine - OFF (since the source content is progressive)
o Crop - manually set to 0 in all 4 directions
o Anamorphic - strict (so that the output is always 1920 x 1080)

Trying to figure out if there is a good reason for different anamorphic or crop settings

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Can't comment on the xbox but i know ps3 supports this. The mp4/m4v container is actually well supported by most devices (compared to mkv).
BTW, I presume u are using handbrake. The apple tv2 preset forced max o/p resolution to 720p. You may want to start using high profile instead if you are interested in 1080p

That's odd. I read on HB forum from a developer that you can simply select ATV2 now. Adjust the picture size to max, select web optimized and add an advance string he posted to improve streaming for 1080p encode.

Are you saying that even after these slight modifications the ATV3 will force the output to 720p rather than 1080p?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH

----------

Folks,
Had a question regarding the picture settings in handbrake. For my blu ray encodes I use the high preset and my picture settings are as under -

Trying to figure out if there is a good reason for different anamorphic or crop settings

No reason to encode the black pixels that make up the matting for sources wider than 1.78:1. Not sure what benefit to leaving anamorphic on either.

atandon

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
No reason to encode the black pixels that make up the matting for sources wider than 1.78:1. Not sure what benefit to leaving anamorphic on either.

So essentially default picture settings at high profile should be fine? Does it make sense to at least turn off detelecine and decomb for progressive sources?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
So essentially default picture settings at high profile should be fine? Does it make sense to at least turn off detelecine and decomb for progressive sources?

While I leave detelecine and decomb on by default for my DVD preset, I do not use either of these filters for my HDDVD and Bluray encodes.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011

----------

Folks,

The Xbox 360 Media Center Extender can even support MKV at 1080p. The down side is that transcode is performed real time on the host Media Center PC. Although I'm running a 2011 Mac mini 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel i7, 8GB 1866MHz Kingston Hyper X, 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS, and 750GB WD Scorpio Black the Xbox 360 transcode can really tax the system when 6 live TV streams are being recorded. The transcode video quality is also poor. So I prefer to keep the movie in a format and quality that the Xbox 360 can handle natively in Media Center Extender mode. M4V are supported natively, its the bit rate and audio format that are a concern. Up until now, the Apple TV 2 preset in Handbrake was no problem for all my devices because the Apple TV 2 was the limiting factor at 720p and this was more than acceptable for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. Obviously, with the new iPad and Apple TV 3 1080p will be preferred, but I need to make sure I'm not exceeding the Xbox 360s capabilities.

I'll test encode with the suggestions made and see if the results work cross platform on Friday.

btomasie

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
All,

how can I confirm that when I go back and do 1080p H.264's of my Blu-Ray movies for my ATV3, that Handbrake is set for "High Profile 4.0" ?

What is the "specs" on High Profile 4.0 so that we can set all the various things in the Advanced settings to maximize the ATV3's improved HW ?

Thanks!
Brian

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
All,

how can I confirm that when I go back and do 1080p H.264's of my Blu-Ray movies for my ATV3, that Handbrake is set for "High Profile 4.0" ?

What is the "specs" on High Profile 4.0 so that we can set all the various things in the Advanced settings to maximize the ATV3's improved HW ?

Thanks!
Brian

Nothing in the advanced options will make an encode "Profile 4.0" - its the resolution jump (going from 1280x720 to 1920x1080) that makes it Level 4 or above.

The encode log within HandBrake tells you what level it has encoded at so you can confirm it.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010

----------

Folks,

I've been using the AppleTV2 preset as the base for my 1080p encodes and then modifying the preset for the following: up the resolution to 1080p, set it as "Same as Source" (seems defaulted now), I use Strict with no anamorphic, leave the cropping as is (since these are black bars and just increase the overall file size), and I set the stereo track to 192 from 160. (CQ is left at 20 as well).

I'm happy with the file sizes and the quality looks pretty much as good as it will get being a compressed file (moving to 18 and 17 CQ didn't seem to offer any extra quality and file size jumps up a bit). Eager to see what the HB crew has in store for us shortly.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Eager to see what the HB crew has in store for us shortly.

Unless the Handbrake crew finally gets around to supporting PGS subtitles for BD rips, I'm sticking with iFlicks and iVI.

iFLicks doesn't support PGS subs, but does High profile L4.1 encodes. iVI burns in PGS subs, but currently only does Baseline/L3.0 encodes. The iVI dev said they will release a 1080p ATV3 preset with High/L4.1 encoding shortly.

osohardy

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Unless the Handbrake crew finally gets around to supporting PGS subtitles for BD rips, I'm sticking with iFlicks and iVI.

iFLicks doesn't support PGS subs, but does High profile L4.1 encodes. iVI burns in PGS subs, but currently only does Baseline/L3.0 encodes. The iVI dev said they will release a 1080p ATV3 preset with High/L4.1 encoding shortly.

not sure if you said this before--does iVi do DTS to AC3 transcode as well like iFlicks? I have iFlicks already and have submitted a request for PGS subs too.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
I've used Iflicks before but what is iVi ?

http://www.southpolesoftware.com/iVI/iVI.php

Similar type of app to iFlicks, but offers a few more options and Supports PGS subtitles. It currently does not create a high profile encode regardless of the compression settings, but it is coming soon.

And yes, it does TrueHD/DTS-MA conversion to AC3/AAC as well, just like iFlicks.

Does the metadata thing like iFlicks too. One thing I have not figured out if it does is remixing of H.264 video streams in MKV's to MP4's - it seems to always compress. iFlicks has a way to remix streams without compressing if you want to play full size BD rips (assuming they are AVC, not VC_1 or MPEG2)

I was just comparing an iFlicks High/L4.1 encode of The Fifth Element to a straight remux of the BD rip (9 GB vs 27 GB). Really quite good. Yes, I can tell the difference on my calibrated Sony 55HX929, but it would require direct comparison for most folks to see it at normal viewing distances. Way, way better than most cable or sat "HD" PQ.

It will do nicely as a video jukebox of all my movies for casual watching. For when I really care about audio/video quality, I will play the BD on my Oppo or Panasonic players.

----------

One heads up - iVI is available on the App Store in a version that does not rip DVD's. While I don't care about that (all my stuff gets ripped with MakeMKV), the Pro version they sell directly on the web site is updated quicker due to less red tape. The pro version is only $10, so I recommend buying that just for the quicker updates.

Last edited:

atandon

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
I was just comparing an iFlicks High/L4.1 encode of The Fifth Element to a straight remux of the BD rip (9 GB vs 27 GB).

Which profile did u select in iFlicks. Is it the itunes 1080p one?
Also, how long does iFlicks take for the conversion.
Noticed that handbrake takes on an average 4-5 hours on my imac for a 1080p encode

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Which profile did u select in iFlicks. Is it the itunes 1080p one?
Also, how long does iFlicks take for the conversion.
Noticed that handbrake takes on an average 4-5 hours on my imac for a 1080p encode

"HD 1080p" is the preset name. It takes about 3 hours I think on my Mac Pro - I really haven't paid too much attention. Handbrake is about the same speed for similar type and amount of compression.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
In light of this comparison at Ars Technica - 1080p video smackdown: iTunes vs. Blu-ray - I think what I was trying to ask earlier was whether Apple is now using a more efficient compression method than HandBrake? Or are the algorithms all the same?

It isn't the algorithm, it is the source material. Apple gets the studio masters which are much higher quality than even Blu-Ray disc (which is lossy to begin with) so they are able to create a file of higher quality at a lower overall bitrate and file size than anything you could do from Blu-Ray. And unless you have a "friend" who can feed you the studio masters you aren't going to do it. :D

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
In light of this comparison at Ars Technica - 1080p video smackdown: iTunes vs. Blu-ray - I think what I was trying to ask earlier was whether Apple is now using a more efficient compression method than HandBrake? Or are the algorithms all the same?

Handbrake has been able to encode high profile h.264 via x264 for a long time. As the person above stated, its more about the source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.