Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I personalize my clothing using any methods I know, however this time I'm a bit short in the talent department.

I have a jacket that I'm tricking out to go with my bike, and I want a club-patch on the back. It's meant to look sporty and race-fit, but good ole-fashioned and hand-made at the same time.

With this in mind, the patch must be:
A. Monochromatic
B. A simple line-drawing

Here's what I'd like, but feel free to get creative.

A plain-white male face directly from the front.
A half-sized old-fashioned bike helmet with chin strap.
Mirror-finished aviators, one lens cracked from the center, spidering out.
All of this is going to be heavily shadowed, lighted by a single source above.

I'll have to take your design and hand-paint it, as well. So is anybody interested in taking a few minutes to help out? I can't wait to post pics of my "finished" jacket... they're never really finished :p

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
No, eh, well any advice as to where I might find a designer to help?

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
That'll be $250.

Paypal works for me.

Attachments

• MrCheeto.png
    MrCheeto.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 197

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Ok, let me tell you why this sucks. Firstly, these aren't even aviators. Second, that's supposed to be a spider-crack in the glass. Finally, how the hell do you expect me to paint that kind of gradient?? It sucks, I hate it, your phone is a stupid idea and you're fired.

-S. Jobs

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Ok, let me tell you why this sucks. Firstly, these aren't even aviators. Second, that's supposed to be a spider-crack in the glass. Finally, how the hell do you expect me to paint that kind of gradient?? It sucks, I hate it, your phone is a stupid idea and you're fired.

Your loss.

That was a sweet, sweet helmet.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
I would make very, very sure it did not look to much like a "club" patch if I was you, if you ride a Harley etc.

Just thinking of your safety here man.....I know from my involvement with clubs in younger days, that they used to frown on these kinds of endeavors, if you get my drift.

DankNugz

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2012
Bay Area, CA
You contradict yourself in your description of what you want. You say you want a "simple line drawing" yet you go on to say you want mirrored aviators and other textures in it...

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
You contradict yourself in your description of what you want. You say you want a "simple line drawing" yet you go on to say you want mirrored aviators and other textures in it...

Clients. :rolleyes:

Do you know he still owes me $250?

Thiemo

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008

-S. Jobs

heheheh

Jong Tong

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
TN
First-what's your budget. second-a respectable piece of artwork takes more than a few min. third-you seen to have already designed it yourself why don't you just pirate some software and do it yourself just like all the other people that think graphic design is free and only takes a few min.

Get a clue!!!

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Get a clue!!!

People online can be generous. This wouldn't be the first, and it's far from the most complicated, graphic design that I've put out there. If somebody is generous, I'll have a nice patch that I couldn't put together myself. If not, I'll hire one of my close friends, but I'm not big on ringing somebody up out of the blue for favors.

The mirror effect is accomplished with simple silver acrylic paint. It will be simple in that it will involve few layers. I could make it up on a black surface with nothing more than white and silver paints. Trust somebody who doesn't have a single article of clothing that isn't painted, studded, or ripped to personal perfection :p

Here's a patch I put together to show what I mean by simple. Just one shade and one layer:

cpGg

I can add even more "authenticity" with an airbrush and more tools. I know how to do this stuff by hand, but I took two semesters of Photoshop and still don't know how to even create a new project... Any time I do graphics, even when I made animations and other effects for my online videos, I used Keynote... Keynote... Apple needs to make their own "Photoshop".

Finally, here's something similar to the effect I'm looking for in "heavily shadowed" and using simple lines:

stock-vector-abstract-female-face-vector-51284563.jpg

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Walks in, looks around, waits for the rants and no-spec postings...

Not sure how to actually respond to this.

People online can be generous. This wouldn't be the first, and it's far from the most complicated, graphic design that I've put out there. If somebody is generous, I'll have a nice patch that I couldn't put together myself. If not, I'll hire one of my close friends, but I'm not big on ringing somebody up out of the blue for favors.

I think you have to read what you just posted, then you'll understand where people are coming from. Agreed people can be generous online however you need to consider how reasonable the request is regarding the invest of time, skill, equipment and effort.

I'm no fan of 99 designs but it might be worth posting this there, put up a $50-$100 prize OR offer one of your friend a case of beer to do it.

Last edited:

Jong Tong

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
TN
I'll do you a real nice one for about $650 but I require 50% up front. Let me know if you want some real graphic design and not some disconjointed sorry excuse for a patch

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011

So let me get this straight. You're willing to take advantage of a total strangers generosity, but asking for help from a "CLOSE FRIEND" is off limits? Is it just me or is that kinda backwards? Either way I agree with ezekielrage_99. Check out 99 designs or something. Even here if you had throw out $100 or something I'm sure you would have gotten some bites (heck I would have even thrown a bid in since I'd even consider it a favor to a Macrumors community member). I honestly hope you end up with something you like, but even the simplest designs take much longer then "a few minutes". Good luck!

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Yeah, let's all pull over and kick a hitchhiker. Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything here, at all. So why does it make more sense to lay into somebody than just NOT "help" at all?

Reminds me of PC users that get on everybody's case for "over paying" for a Mac. You are such PC's...

Can't help? Don't.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, let's all pull over and kick a hitchhiker. Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything here, at all. So why does it make more sense to lay into somebody than just NOT "help" at all?

Reminds me of PC users that get on everybody's case for "over paying" for a Mac. You are such PC's...

Can't help? Don't.

You got it backwards. It's PC users that don't want to pay for quality work.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005

Can't help? Don't.

Petitio Principii.

The logic fallacy here is:
1) I need help.
2) I want a designer to design a quality patch for me.
3) People online are generous so they should create it for me.
4) People are mean because they wont help.

I think you're not actually looking at the issue created here and missing the point, no one is saying anything against helping someone rather most are concerned regarding what can be seen as an unreasonable request.

Help ≠ doing it for you.

When you ask a qualified designer to create something for you for no reparation, you not just asking for an hour of time. You're actually asking is to invest time, effort, skill, plant and knowledge of design that most designer take years of practice and education to master (the mac, $5K of software, 4 year degree and one day approach my old lecturer would often raise in tutorials).

Many designers here have helped me out, but not in creating something for me rather critique and giving advice. I think you'd find it to be the same for photography, video and web aspects of the forum as well, people (particularly professionals) are willing to help but not willing to do the work for you. I hope you can respect and understand this line.

My advice would be to check out Abduzeebo and Smashing because you obviously have a strong idea for what you're trying to achieve and maybe learning the right software will allow you to create it for yourself and give you some great skills in the process.

Sketch the idea, digitise it, then put it into something like Illustrator or Inkscape would allow you to create what you want as a vector.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
w00t

Talked somebody into getting it done. Walked into a print shop, walked out 30-minutes later with almost exactly what I envisioned. Will post pics when painted ;)

Cost: The rights of several patches and t-shirt designs. I happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.