Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cookmorin.jpg
Apple CEO Tim Cook summoned Path founder Dave Morin to Apple headquarters in Cupertino to be "grilled" by Cook and other Apple execs after it was discovered that Path was quietly uploading user's entire address books to its servers, according to an article in Bloomberg Businessweek.
Path co-founder Dave Morin got hauled into Apple's headquarters to be grilled by Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook and other executives, according to people familiar with the meeting but not authorized by Apple to discuss it.
Path has since stated that the uploading was merely to help users find their friends on the service, but the matter has generated a change in App Store policies and a Congressional investigation.

Considering the size of the address book blowup, it isn't necessarily surprising that Morin would be requested at Apple HQ, but the public doesn't generally find out about these secret meetings.

(Photo of Dan Morin from Flickr/Joi Ito)

Article Link: Tim Cook Met With Path's Dave Morin Over Address Book Debacle

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I bet that was a very polite, to the point punch-up for the record books. Tim was probably flanked by a dozen lawyers. Leaking this is clear setup to show Apple strongly disapproves and disavows here and that this young turk will be left twisting in the wind when it's all over. I detect anger here on the part of Apple.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Considering the size of the address book blowup, it isn't necessarily surprising that Morin would be requested at Apple HQ, but the public doesn't generally find out about these secret meetings.
Pour encourager les autres, no doubt.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm guessing that THAT photo of Morin wasn't taken during/after THAT meeting! ;)

I wonder what would happen if he refused to meet with Cook? Losing his developer account?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Sounds like a privilege to me to meet with the Apple execs, regardless of the situation :)

agentx

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
I am pretty sure it was the "so public" bit and also the fact that Apple dropped the ball and did not see what the app was doing. In fact i am certain that many Apps have been pulling, accessing, storing Address Book info since iOS was released. It is a **** storm and i am sure many "updated" apps will be coming out to "fix" the problem of the Apps "taking" all your address book data !!!!
But damage is done.....any good backup system will have the data already full stored.....

Last edited by a moderator:

potsy4u

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Curious...

anyone want to speculate on who looks more like a mac and who looks more like a pc? :p

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sick em Tim lol

osnipassos

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
bulls***, the Apple is going to launch a social network and will use the path.
The Path follows the style "family and friends" of Apple. :)

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I bet that was a very polite, to the point punch-up for the record books. Tim was probably flanked by a dozen lawyers. Leaking this is clear setup to show Apple strongly disapproves and disavows here and that this young turk will be left twisting in the wind when it's all over. I detect anger here on the part of Apple.

Anger would have meant that Apple was going in dry and taking all the lawyers along for the train ride.

aliasfox

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
I met Dave Morin a couple of times, when he was working for Apple Education (and I was working on behalf of Apple Ed). At least now I know I only have one step of separation between me and Apple's CEO...

Not sure if I'm still 'friends' with him on Facebook, but I remember seeing a lot of updates from him back in the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.