Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the major selling features of the new Verizon iPad Wi-Fi + 4G LTE is its compatibility with GSM networks for international roaming purposes. But what hasn't been clear is whether users could insert an AT&T micro-SIM card into a Verizon iPad and receive data connectivity. Given that the Verizon iPad supports the same GSM frequency bands for non-LTE networks as the version sold for AT&T, it appeared to be technically possible to use a Verizon iPad on AT&T although Apple could have opted to restrict the device's operation on other networks.

As noted by jsnuff1 in our forums, the new Verizon iPad does indeed work on AT&T's network when equipped with an AT&T micro-SIM and the device's carrier settings are updated to support connecting to AT&T.
Big question on everyone's mind buying the Verizon iPad was whether data from AT&Ts 3G network would work on this iPad, or if Verizon/Apple would block this.

I was one of the first to obtain a Verizon iPad and can happily confirm that this is allowed! I used my ATT iPhone 4S sim card and took out the Verizon sim, and data worked! You must apply the AT&T APN carrier settings before this works though.
It is important to note, however, that a Verizon iPad will be limited to non-LTE bands (EDGE, 3G, HSPA+ 4G) on AT&T. The Verizon iPad hardware supports only the 700 MHz band for LTE to match the carrier's technology, while the GSM version sold for use on AT&T's network supports both the 700 MHz and 2100 MHz bands as used by that carrier.

ipad_3_cellular_bands.jpg

Initial pre-orders of the new iPad are arriving today, while retail outlets in ten countries are offering in-store purchase for those still looking to purchase an iPad on launch day.

Article Link: New Verizon iPad Runs on AT&T 3G Networks with AT&T Micro-SIM

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
If you have an AT&T phone with a micro-SIM in it, you can put it in the iPad and use that data plan. If that's the case, my decision to get the Verizon iPad was a winner. My only question is about installing the AT&T APN carrier settings, but I am sure I can Google that or it might be in the video in the article that I haven't watched yet.

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
Awesome, now you can pay 2 monthly bills for 1 ipad. Brilliant!

Its a good backup options for Verizon users. Its possible in one year or so that 3G prices drop as more LTE phones hit the market. What if you get tired of paying the high LTE prices and ATT actually starts offering a better 3G deal? Lots of what ifs...

srazz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Why can't these guys take just a little more time and make a video thats in focus and doesn't jump around. I just about lost my breakfast.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
The Verizon iPad hardware supports only the 700 MHz band for LTE to match the carrier's technology, while the GSM version sold for use on AT&T's network supports both the 700 MHz and 2100 MHz bands as used by that carrier.

This needs to be clarified in the article...

"The Verizon iPad hardware supports only the upper 700 MHz band for LTE to match the carrier's technology, while the GSM version sold for use on AT&T's network supports both the lower 700 MHz band used by AT&T and the 2100 MHz band used by Canadian carriers."

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
You see all those names, acronyms and frequencies that differ from carrier to carrier and from country to country?

I can program in C, PHP, Javascript and code in HTML, CSS but I still find all that cellphone techno-babble to be confusing. Too many acronyms, too many configurations. It's almost as worst as understanding the differences between Internet Explorer versions.

And when you add the carriers rip-off prices and policies (I mean, data is data, it doesn't matter if it's a tethered device, SMS messages or just voice, it's all data).

That's why I hate cellphones. Give me an updated iPod touch already. :(

tyrnight

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
My unlimited Verizon 4g sim doesn't work.. says it need to activate an account, even though it got a data connection. :mad: oh Well

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S White 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

He said he used his AT&T 4S Sim Card... I thought that was risky :\

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
Does it mean that if I go to Europe with a Verizon iPad, I can use a local sim?

I know I could only do that with an AT&T iPad before.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Does it mean that if I go to Europe with a Verizon iPad, I can use a local sim?

I know I could only do that with an AT&T iPad before.

This _should_ be the case.

I'll be traveling to Japan in the next few months and this is what I'd like to be able to do - but I don't want to use AT&T in the states any more.

NuclearWasted

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
Does anybody know why there is still an AT&T iPad & Verizon iPad instead of one iPad for both carriers? Yes I know they use different frequencies for LTE and different technologies for 3G, but the Q9600 chip is in both models so I presume that merging the devices is as simple as enabling it in the hardware during production so why don't they do it?

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S White 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

NuclearWasted said:
Does anybody know why there is still an AT&T iPad & Verizon iPad instead of one iPad for both carriers? Yes I know they use different frequencies for LTE and different technologies for 3G, but the Q9600 chip is in both models so I presume that merging the devices is as simple as enabling it in the hardware during production so why don't they do it?

Companies want to find a way to tie the consumer down to their own service. Apple probably would, but they're respecting the wishes of each carrier.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
You see all those names, acronyms and frequencies that differ from carrier to carrier and from country to country?

I can program in C, PHP, Javascript and code in HTML, CSS but I still find all that cellphone techno-babble to be confusing. Too many acronyms, too many configurations.

I worked in the cellular industry for 20 years - it takes years to truly understand what's going on - it's complicated by nature.

NuclearWasted

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009

Companies want to find a way to tie the consumer down to their own service. Apple probably would, but they're respecting the wishes of each carrier.
OK, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some sort of technological limitation.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So if I have this right...

I can buy a Verizon iPad and when I really need data, just use my AT&T iPhone's SIM card to get some for a few minutes? Basically swapping out a small screen for a big one?

This...really seems too good to be true.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nice, good to know, restoring mine now.

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
So if I have this right...

I can buy a Verizon iPad and when I really need data, just use my AT&T iPhone's SIM card to get some for a few minutes? Basically swapping out a small screen for a big one?

This...really seems too good to be true.

Hoping this is the case.. Can someone here confirm? (iphone 4 owner with 3gigs).

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009

I too have been disappointed over this limitation. I see a couple reasons why this would be:

* Apple couldn't make it work for some non-obvious reason:

I think this is possible. Perhaps adding both bands proved to be problematic somehow, weight, space, performance, what-have-you. Just because something is technically possible doesn't make it easy to do.

* Apple decided to make 2 different versions:

I'm starting to think this was the case. Having two models means that customers must declare an operator preference, and this may be useful data for Apple to have.

But much more than that, Apple wants to absolutely rule the tablet market space. If this means catering to operators, then so be it. Make the whole issue go away - for the time being anyway - while they establish dominance and solidify marketshare. For now, make the operators happy and let them sell sell sell.

Apple has already shown a possible hand in their software-based SIM that the operators have objected to. Once the iPad is the 900 pound gorilla, perhaps that option will come into fruition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.