Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perry245

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Hi,

I think my girlfriend is removing browsing history from my macbook, I would like to know what she has been going on.

Is there any way for me recover deleted browsing history? or is there a way that I could save the history to a location and even if she removes the history it will still save?

Any help would be good.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi,

I think my girlfriend is removing browsing history from my macbook, I would like to know what she has been going on.

Is there any way for me recover deleted browsing history? or is there a way that I could save the history to a location and even if she removes the history it will still save?

Any help would be good.

if you use time machine it could be saved if you restore

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I'm guessing you don't feel she has a right to privacy. Any good relationship is built on trust.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Don't forget to regularly check her phone, that's where all the bad things happen!

Safari has all sorts of caches to boost it's performance, e.g. when swiping through the history. I don't think all of those caches are deleted when you delete the history. Have a look at

/Users/yourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Webpage Previews

The folder is hidden, so use the terminal or type it in the address field. Have fun spying on your GF.

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
If I remember correctly Safari has a history.plist file that doesn't get deleted when the history is cleared from the History menu. It's located in the Home/Library/Safari folder and you can view the history with OmniOutliner.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
plist file doesn't have history info, only settings.
There is a /Users/yourusername/Library/Safari/History.plist file that does have history in it which is not cleared when you clear your history. It's different than the com.apple.Safari.plist file.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
There is a /Users/yourusername/Library/Safari/History.plist file that does have history in it which is not cleared when you clear your history. It's different than the com.apple.Safari.plist file.

So much for not letting the OP know that! It'll be interesting to see his next thread.

At least I learned something today.

Nov 28, 2010
located

Really? Now I have to read on FacialBuuk of another lovely couple calling it quits, because the male component could not keep his mouth shut when confronting the female component of the relationship, why she was hiding his birthday present (foursome with two easy lesbians) until his birthday even arrived. I hate those news, it makes me sad to read of such hardship. No wonder BBC did elect to not report news from there, it would make the whole mankind depressed about the human condition. I mean, I can understand war and murder and all those funny accidents, but not when someone is invading someone else's privacy. There is a reason, why Lamebook exists, and I hate that site with gusto, it has me kept for days in its shackles, and the reason is reporting about those failed relationship statuses. BBC here I come for some light soup entertainment. Thank you heavens.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So much for not letting the OP know that!
I hadn't planned to reveal that to the OP, as I don't like the idea of assisting someone in violating someone else's privacy, but if the information is going to be put out there anyway, at least it should be accurate.
Really? Now I have to read on FacialBuuk of another lovely couple calling it quits, because the male component could not keep his mouth shut when confronting the female component of the relationship, why she was hiding his birthday present (foursome with two easy lesbians) until his birthday even arrived. I hate those news, it makes me sad to read of such hardship. No wonder BBC did elect to not report news from there, it would make the whole mankind depressed about the human condition. I mean, I can understand war and murder and all those funny accidents, but not when someone is invading someone else's privacy. There is a reason, why Lamebook exists, and I hate that site with gusto, it has me kept for days in its shackles, and the reason is reporting about those failed relationship statuses. BBC here I come for some light soup entertainment. Thank you heavens.
The secret to understanding and enjoying simsaladimbamba's posts is large quantities of Patrón Silver! :D

Nov 28, 2010
located
Sure! My credit card details are: 3 3/8" x 2 1/8", black, plastic, with a magnetic stripe on the back. Enjoy!

Inch again? When do you Americans learn to use proper units? I guess we, the mighty Europe, have to invade you again. And again. And again. The third time is the charm.

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Hi,

If you trust her that little, why not just password protect your MB and not let her access it?

Methinx you need to get yourself a new girlfriend...or stop being so paranoid...one of the two.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Inch again? When do you Americans learn to use proper units? I guess we, the mighty Europe, have to invade you again. And again. And again. The third time is the charm.

Not if you're French. You just surrender and be done with it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.