Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
I searched for this thread and found one for the old MBA but not the new 2011 MBA 11/13", so forgive me if I missed a duplicate thread.

Does anyone else have the problem with their MBA having hairline scratches on the screen from contact with the keyboard or trackpad? I didn't realize this was happening on my 13" until I tried to clean it and noticed there are small dot scratches running in a line all the way across the screen. It lines up perfectly with the space bar and the metal dip under the keyboard before it meets the trackpad.

Anyone have any success with any cleaners getting this removed they can recommend? Or did they have success with the Apple Store repairing it? I've found Apple is much more reticent now that they are so big to do repairs like they did in the olden days, so the thought of fighting Apple on this is not exciting to say the least.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Here is an example of the scratches, matches perfectly with space bar, keyboard, and trackpad edges:

Attachments

• photo.png
    photo.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10,486

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I would go to Apple - The keyboard should not be able to touch the screen. That is not normal.

Good luck :)

[EDIT: Oh, I'm assuming the rubber seal around the edge of the screen is still in tact?]

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
Yep, its a common problem among those who carry theirs in a backpack stuffed with books and whatnot. The load causes the screen to push up against the raised part between the trackpad and the spacebar. Its too late now, but you could use a piece of thin microfiber cloth while closing your laptop. Will prevent it from further damage

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Yep, its a common problem among those who carry theirs in a backpack stuffed with books and whatnot. The load causes the screen to push up against the raised part between the trackpad and the spacebar. Its too late now, but you could use a piece of thin microfiber cloth while closing your laptop. Will prevent it from further damage

Ah dang, I was afraid of that. I keep it VERY well padded. It's in a case and then rests inside another padded pocket. I am super careful about how I rest my backpack (I never let the backpack weight rest on the laptop side, I always turn it around which is cumbersome but I figured any weight on the laptop was bad.) Looks like even with all those precautions slight bumps were enough.

I may try to take it to Apple but going to the Apple store these days is tough when you have weird problems, they deal with so many "Dropped my iPhone in a puddle of water" folks that they are quick to deny any coverage. :(

Thanks for the input all and for the micro fiber cloth. If I get it "fixed" I may try that. It stinks they didn't put more rubber support around it, given this is a laptop that is marketed as one you can grab, go, open, close all with the use of a few fingers!

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Yup. I have the same thing. noticed it last night and am also super careful with my MBA. it's unfortunate how delicate they seem to be. Mine is only 6 weeks old.

13" 2011 MBA

I'm debating whether to take it in or not. It doesn't affect usage and i'm sure it would happen again on a new screen even if it were replaced. I keep it in a hard case and then in a backpack in its own compartment with very few other things in the rest of the backpack, and i'm not sure i could have been any more careful about it.

Last edited:

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
It stinks they didn't put more rubber support around it, given this is a laptop that is marketed as one you can grab, go, open, close all with the use of a few fingers!

IMO, added rubber wont alleviate the danger (at least not in the case of the macbook air :cool:). The reason some users report having marks, is because the top aluminum frame is so thin, that it flexes with even a little weight. Since the airs dont have a glass over their screens, the marks get permanently etched in the screen.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
it happened to me. i went to apple store and they replace the whole half of MBA .

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
it happened to me. i went to apple store and they replace the whole half of MBA .

Did they fight you on it or do it pretty easy? It seems like different Apple stores are more willing or less willing to fix it given what I've read around the web.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Did they fight you on it or do it pretty easy? It seems like different Apple stores are more willing or less willing to fix it given what I've read around the web.

Nope. They know there's something wrong. I just waited for like few hours.

redache

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
My Air and my Girlfriends Air also have this. Sometimes I regret not getting a modern pro but the screen res difference was a deciding factor.

It's annoying because I know it's there and I can see it when I'm using the Terminal in certain light conditions which can get pretty frustrating. If it does start to bother me more then I guess I'd have to get in touch with Apple and get them to replace the screen and ask them for advice to avoid it happening again.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I bought a screen protector cloth from RadTech - I only use when I carry tue unit for long periods of time in my bag.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Woohoo!!!

Just got back from the local Apple Store. I showed them the "pitting" just as shown in the picture and how it causes faint gray/white horizontal lines and they gave me a brand new MBA! No questions asked, really. He checked for any signs of obvious physical damage but there were none because I keep good care of my stuff.

They were preparing to have it sent out for repair but when he realized it was only a few weeks old he just gave me a brand new one, not a refurb, right on the spot.

The new one has the Samsung SSD just like my damaged MBA and also has the Samsung screen too!! I had the LG screen on one I exchanged. Also, they keyboard is less "plasticky" feeling if that makes any sense. Maybe they made a change but it feels more durable. On my previous Air it always felt like the keys were loose or something and made a lot of noise when typing. This one is much quieter.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the service I got from Apple. I ordered a radtech cloth for when I carry the Air.

If it bothers you, make an appointment. I waited for 45 minutes but it only took 15 minutes to get the replacement. He saw the problem right away and even said, "yeah, this would drive me nuts too."

:D :D :D

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Same thing happened to me. Apple store gave me a new mac in packaging for free, because it was less than a month old and they didn't have refurbs back in August. They also offered to just replace the lid, but I would have had to wait. Also I got a second charger out of the deal which was a nice bonus.

I bought a photodon screen protector to prevent this from happening again. The tiny scratches were not so much of an issue, but I was afraid it would hurt the ebay value. I am the type of person who sells the older model and upgrades to a newer one often, so keeping everything in pristine condition is important. A scratch on the screen could cost me $100 down the road.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Same thing happened to me. Apple store gave me a new mac in packaging for free, because it was less than a month old and they didn't have refurbs back in August. They also offered to just replace the lid, but I would have had to wait. Also I got a second charger out of the deal which was a nice bonus.

I bought a photodon screen protector to prevent this from happening again. The tiny scratches were not so much of an issue, but I was afraid it would hurt the ebay value. I am the type of person who sells the older model and upgrades to a newer one often, so keeping everything in pristine condition is important. A scratch on the screen could cost me $100 down the road.

Has the screen protector worked for you? I've read some people use them and still have problems. I'm in the middle of school so putting my laptop out of commission would be tough, and I dread the potential fight with the Apple store, but it seems like waiting (I have 3 years of Apple Care and am in my first year) is dangerous.

Thanks for your input!

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
Whether or not you get the machine repaired/replaced by Apple, invest in some sort of screen protector. I had the same issue with my 2008 Black MacBook. When I replaced it with a MBP, I got a ShaggyMac screen protector; it's basically just a big sheet of high quality microfiber that separates the keyboard from the screen. It's also nice because I now always have a cloth on hand and my screen stays fairly clean all the time.

Just to clarify, I got my MBP in mid 2010 and I haven't had any issues with marks on my screen.

http://www.shaggymac.com/laptop-screen-protector/apple-laptops.html

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Has the screen protector worked for you? I've read some people use them and still have problems. I'm in the middle of school so putting my laptop out of commission would be tough, and I dread the potential fight with the Apple store, but it seems like waiting (I have 3 years of Apple Care and am in my first year) is dangerous.

Thanks for your input!

The screen protector still gets rub marks on it from the keys, but its easy to clean, and I can afford to replace the screen protector once every few years. Whereas, replacing a screen is trickier....

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

Thanks for your input!

You should just bring it in and see what they say. I was also dreading a fight but was pleasantly surprised.

The radtech cloth has been working well just like they always do. I have no lines on my 2 week old MBA screen, and i put it in my backpack with other stuff.

anis.ch

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Apple Care

I had the same issue, therefore I went to the Apple Store, and luckily without any problem they replaced my screen. At the beginning I thought that this was an construction issue of my machine, nevertheless after few weeks the same problem happened with the new one!!!!

That sucks Apple should really fix this this!!

minnus

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I had the same issue, therefore I went to the Apple Store, and luckily without any problem they replaced my screen. At the beginning I thought that this was an construction issue of my machine, nevertheless after few weeks the same problem happened with the new one!!!!

That sucks Apple should really fix this this!!

I highly recommend you use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Kabuto-...SCQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331944770&sr=8-1

I've had the screen issue happen to three Airs. Finally purchased this cloth and it hasn't happened since (and I travel quite a bit).

Good luck!

geekygeek

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
:eek:. I never got scratches on my screen, but sometimes when I put it in a sleeve or a tight space, there are keyboard marks on my screen. There's like always dust on my screen, the keyboard touches it and leaves a pattern on the screen :D. It only happens when the top and the bottom case get compressed together. I don't see how it would cause scratches since the screen is only resting on it. Its not sliding right and left (hopefully).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.