Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Manning's football IQ has always been his biggest strength so even if his arm isn't quite back to what it used to be I think his ability to outsmart the other team will be enough to compensate for it.

Lethal

This ^. While manning has never had a bad arm he has not thrown with the type of velocity or ultra accuracy or a player like Favre. Manning does well because of his ability to read the defense and put his players in the best position to take advantage of that defense. That's why you see manning making lots of throws to open receivers.

Manning teaming up with Larry Fitzgerald for a few seasons would be a pleasure to watch. That said, I think he still ends up in either Denver or Tennessee.

As a Steeler fan, I've got my fingers crossed that Wallace stays.

I thought the steelers gave wallace a first round tender? He won't go anywhere.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
I thought the steelers gave wallace a first round tender? He won't go anywhere.
Yes, they did, but that doesn't mean he has to sign with Pittsburgh. We can match any other offers he gets, but if he does choose to sign elsewhere, we'd get that teams 1st round pick in return.

So while it's unlikely that he leaves, he still has the freedom to sign with another team if he wants.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Yes, they did, but that doesn't mean he has to sign with Pittsburgh. We can match any other offers he gets, but if he does choose to sign elsewhere, we'd get that teams 1st round pick in return.

So while it's unlikely that he leaves, he still has the freedom to sign with another team if he wants.

ok that's what I thought. I know wallace is a great receiver and that stats say he'd probably be better on a few other teams I doubt anybody will burn up a first round pick for him. I'd say he's worth a second at most and then its still a question mark. I think you'll keep him.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Did you just use "ultra accuracy" and "Favre" in the same sentence? ;)

Lethal

Yes typo

Ultra accurate picks...

hahaha. favre is still so overrated it's not even funny.

I didn't say favre was a good decision maker. Favre leaned on his ability to put the ball on a dime faster than players could react to make up for his inability to make good football decisions. Manning is the reverse basically.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Four days into free agency and the NY Yankees have made more moves than the Jets. :rolleyes:

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Somewhere, Alex Smith is like, "oh come on!" Manning in SF would be interesting indeed. SF's field goal offense was definitely its weak point, and even though Smith was much improved, he still isn't elite.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Somewhere, Alex Smith is like, "oh come on!" Manning in SF would be interesting indeed. SF's field goal offense was definitely its weak point, and even though Smith was much improved, he still isn't elite.

its a great idea since smith isn't under contract yet and it would make them a favorite in the NFC. the only thing holding them back is being in the NFC as far as I'm concerned.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Oh no. I'm still a suffering Jets fan. :eek:

Just making a little funny.

You have the Yankees, no one gets all the prizes. :cool:

I don't know how Peyton Manning passes up the 49ers in favor of the Titans just so he can potentially play his brother in the Super Bowl. Ironically, if he chooses the Titans, his chances of getting to the big game totally plummet.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Manning would favor the titans because he went to college at Tennessee and by all accounts likes the state. If he went to the 49ers he'd have a great chance to get back to the Super Bowl though.

He's probably going to have a decision by this time next.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
He's so over rated.

Overrated or not, the Cowboys will struggle to find a #3 receiver with his ability. He stepped up big last year when injuries took down Austin and Bryant. Romo and Robinson had good chemistry. I get it that he took the payday, but he will probably struggle in Jacksonville, unless Gabbert shows huge improvement.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Overrated or not, the Cowboys will struggle to find a #3 receiver with his ability. He stepped up big last year when injuries took down Austin and Bryant. Romo and Robinson had good chemistry. I get it that he took the payday, but he will probably struggle in Jacksonville, unless Gabbert shows huge improvement.

He'll definitely struggle in jacksonville. every year there's a handful of guys that play well above their expectations and get tons of press and then never come close to the same performance again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.