Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I tried converting a bluray rip in subler just to try it on the new ATV until HB releases their preset and subler keeps making 4k files that arent openable in anything. am I doing something wrong? I select the main movie file and then just select the main audio file.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
It isn't the algorithm, it is the source material. Apple gets the studio masters which are much higher quality than even Blu-Ray disc (which is lossy to begin with) so they are able to create a file of higher quality at a lower overall bitrate and file size than anything you could do from Blu-Ray. And unless you have a "friend" who can feed you the studio masters you aren't going to do it. :D

Thanks, I suspected as much. If only iTunes would drop the video DRM like they did with music, I might actually be inclined to buy from them!

Rmafive

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I currently use an RF of 18 and usually get about 10-15gb movies and they play perfectly on the ATV3. The quality is incredible and my large files don't cause any trouble over my network (I connected via ethernet, which is essential for large blu ray movies) and the ATV3 handles the large files fairly gracefully (usually about 10-20 seconds of buffering).

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I did my first bluray encode tonight. took the ATV2 setting changed it to 1080p.

selected web optimized and put

vbv-bufsize=31250:vbv-maxrate=25000

for advanced option string. resulted in a 2 hour movie at about 12gb. works great on the apple tv. i can see a little bit of artifacting tho so im anxiously awaiting the official preset.

jaysue

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Tolleson, AZ
Are DVD encodes about the same, I mean is the Apple 2 preset still good to use, or is there going to be a better output preset that anyone knows of.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I did my first bluray encode tonight. took the ATV2 setting changed it to 1080p.

for advanced option string. resulted in a 2 hour movie at about 12gb. works great on the apple tv. i can see a little bit of artifacting tho so im anxiously awaiting the official preset.

I left out the advanced string. So far I do not see any artifacting. I'm streaming on 5ghz N. Even with current ATV capped at 65mbps its playing well and loading well ahead of the playback point.

SteveFromNY

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012

Can you further explain this for the n00bs here, please?!?

I don't see those options anywhere on Handbrake.

Thanks.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Can you further explain this for the n00bs here, please?!?

I don't see those options anywhere on Handbrake.

Thanks.

first select the atv 2 preset then in the picture settings tab set it to 1920 x 1080 its kind of a pain in the neck to set it to that i had to mess with alot of the settings to get it to that. believe me im no pro at this either. then web optimized is right on the main window of handbrake and you can put the string in on the advanced tab down the bottom. one of the mods over at the handbrake forum suggested putting the string in thats why i did it i dont know what it does.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
one of the mods over at the handbrake forum suggested putting the string in thats why i did it i dont know what it does.

Regardless of widgets ... the string tells the x264 encoder what to do. The widgets only help you insert the parameters x264 wants to see in the string. That said ...

In the case of vbv what you are doing ( in a nutshell ) is putting a cap on the maximum bitrate over x amount of time. So, with constant quality where bitrate can go wild depending on the source ... etc. ... you are basically capping it to a predetermined amount. It can be very powerful for any limited streaming situation. As with all thing though ... there is a tradeoff :

If you hit the cap HandBrake will drop the bitrate so you *might* see a degradation of visual quality during the capped period since the cap prevents the encoder from providing what it wants to maintain the specified (rf value) of quality. As long as things are sane you really shouldn't see much if any of this in actual use. But, its worth noting.

Hopefully that helps rather than hinders the understanding of vbv (video buffer verifier) settings.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Regardless of widgets ... the string tells the x264 encoder what to do. The widgets only help you insert the parameters x264 wants to see in the string. That said ...

In the case of vbv what you are doing ( in a nutshell ) is putting a cap on the maximum bitrate over x amount of time. So, with constant quality where bitrate can go wild depending on the source ... etc. ... you are basically capping it to a predetermined amount. It can be very powerful for any limited streaming situation. As with all thing though ... there is a tradeoff :

If you hit the cap HandBrake will drop the bitrate so you *might* see a degradation of visual quality during the capped period since the cap prevents the encoder from providing what it wants to maintain the specified (rf value) of quality. As long as things are sane you really shouldn't see much if any of this in actual use. But, its worth noting.

Hopefully that helps rather than hinders the understanding of vbv (video buffer verifier) settings.

Thanks for the clear explanation. I left it out on purposes because of that, but I was not sure how to explain it as articulately as you. :) Anyway, thats why I don't see any pixelation or artifacts even with the most demanding scenes.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Anyway, thats why I don't see any pixelation or artifacts even with the most demanding scenes.

Well when its set right its awesome. One other note: beware the settings for vbv are very complex and may or may not do what you want depending how you set them. If its working for you ... I advise don't mess with it.

Have fun.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

Thanks for the explanation! Makes perfect sense. How are the new presets coming? ;)

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks for the explanation! Makes perfect sense. How are the new presets coming? ;)

Dunno just yet. I have mine as well as a few others but haven't yet thrown the kitchen sink at it. My general guess is you can use hb's High profile preset and get pretty much what you want. We will probably squeak some more out of it but some of that might come at the expense of much more encoding time with little quality/size benefit.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Well when its set right its awesome. One other note: beware the settings for vbv are very complex and may or may not do what you want depending how you set them. If its working for you ... I advise don't mess with it.

Have fun.

Thank you! :)

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Man, I was really hoping Handbrake would update their presets last night. I have 16 mkvs I want to start transcoding but would rather wait for their team to put out the best solution.

Anyone know of their eta? I just can't wait to watch Blade Runner in 1080p through my Apple TV 3.

Los

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Alright, so I tried to convert a movie or two with the suggested settings at the Handbrake forums, I also decided to do a 6 Channel AAC conversion with a DTS Passthrough to see if it could handle it.

So I ended up with a movie that's 7.38 GBs and a TV Show Episode that's 3.45 GBs. The movie took a while to buffer and that's with a wireless network. It didn't take hours, but just a minute or two, once it started playing, it played smoothly. The TV Show on the other hand, played almost immediately. The only difference with the TV Show conversion was that I didn't include the Advanced Option string. I have no idea if that really made a difference, but it looks like it might have.

As for the DTS, it looks like that Apple TV doesn't support it at all. There's no indication of it being played through my receiver, I really can't tell. I assumed that it would just pass the audio to my receiver and just let it handle it, but it doesn't seem to be able to do that at the moment. Either that, or I don't know how to do it. :p

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Man, I was really hoping Handbrake would update their presets last night. I have 16 mkvs I want to start transcoding but would rather wait for their team to put out the best solution.

Anyone know of their eta? I just can't wait to watch Blade Runner in 1080p through my Apple TV 3.

Use the high profile preset if you're anxious to get started. I'd share my preset, but I haven't really tested it at 1080p yet (works beautifully at 720p though on the v2).

I've got a Studio Ghibli bluray on my hard drive currently, and plan on starting a 1080p encode before I leave for some St. Patrick's Day festivities later this afternoon. I'm now reconsidering my stance on having multiple encodes and may start making iPad-optimized versions IF I can get smooth playback of 1080p sources on my AppleTV v2 and v3. I really think Apple should just remove the Sofware restriction on transferring 108 files to the iPad 2.

Last edited:

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Use the high profile preset if you're anxious to get started.

I know :( But I just want the best, and i'm just being impatient. I assume their preset will get better quality out of an ATV3 designed preset than the high profile right? Even just a little better?

If not, then screw it. I will start transcoding now. That and Dark Knight are two things I can't wait to watch on my projection screen.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the high profile doesn't work on all devices?

Thanks!

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I know :( But I just want the best, and i'm just being impatient. I assume their preset will get better quality out of an ATV3 designed preset than the high profile right? Even just a little better?

If not, then screw it. I will start transcoding now. That and Dark Knight are two things I can't wait to watch on my projection screen.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the high profile doesn't work on all devices?

Thanks!

Advanced x264 options will get your better compression, less impact on quality. Do a couple tests changing the RF value and see what works for you (Ive used 20 since we worked on the original presets) as I liked the quality it gave versus the size of the file... I like to have one encode for all of my devices and while I have 8TB of storage for my iTunes library, I'm limited on my iPad and iPhone.

High profile will have issues on older devices, but works fine with iPhone 4 and later, iPad, and AppleTV v2.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Advanced x264 options will get your better compression, less impact on quality. Do a couple tests changing the RF value and see what works for you (Ive used 20 since we worked on the original presets) as I liked the quality it gave versus the size of the file... I like to have one encode for all of my devices and while I have 8TB of storage for my iTunes library, I'm limited on my iPad and iPhone.

High profile will have issues on older devices, but works fine with iPhone 4 and later, iPad, and AppleTV v2.

I am more concerned about quality since I use Plex and Stream To Me to watch movies and TV shows on my iPad when out an about and rarely watch them but at home (where the quality counts). The only drawback to that is if I am not on wifi. Usually when I want to watch movies on the road, I am at other peoples apartments and we want to watch a movie, so I plug in my iPhone into their tv with the composite cable (cause it is the most compatible). Almost always they have good Wifi. Also, its great cause I always have my entire library to watch wherever I go.

It would be great if Apple could implement a feature, though I know it would be slow but it downscales videos when you transfer them to your iPad or iPhone, to save on space. I know their solution is to give you three quality versions now if you buy it from their store, but that still takes up a lot of space on your externals, even if you have 8tb (tv shows particularly are bad). Maybe this is something they are thinking about, since there was that article about a variable audio codec, which goes up to HD sound and down based on your connection/device.

I am going to sift through some of the recent posts and try what other peps settings are.

Thanks!

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Curious what computer everyone has and what kind of encoding times you are getting with 1080P. I have several going right now on my Mac Mini so I'll update when I get a time.

ATJ777

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
A question about the presets if I may. I would have thought "Same as source" would make more sense for Framerate (FPS) than forcing them all to "29.97 (NTSC Video)". Why is converting something that might be 25fps to 29.97fps a good thing?

SteveFromNY

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
first select the atv 2 preset then in the picture settings tab set it to 1920 x 1080 its kind of a pain in the neck to set it to that i had to mess with alot of the settings to get it to that. believe me im no pro at this either. then web optimized is right on the main window of handbrake and you can put the string in on the advanced tab down the bottom. one of the mods over at the handbrake forum suggested putting the string in thats why i did it i dont know what it does.

Thanks for the response, it worked great. It took FOREVER, though, like 4 hours. Not looking forward to re-encoding all my movies but, oh well...

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
A question about the presets if I may. I would have thought "Same as source" would make more sense for Framerate (FPS) than forcing them all to "29.97 (NTSC Video)". Why is converting something that might be 25fps to 29.97fps a good thing?

If "Peak Framerate (VFR)" is checked, it is telling Handbrake to go no higher than 29.97 frames per second, the maximum allowed on the AppleTV. If the source is all 25fps, it will remain 25fps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.