Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeyrko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
SC
HI I recently got a 1.25 iMac G4,,
A friend gave me a copy of leopard on a single layer dvd I could not get it to boot into it so I installed 10.4 Tiger.
Then I tryed a iso of leopard on the desktop it will reboot then never go any further with the install. Also evertime the computer starts it shows the grey screen like there is no hard drive then it boots.

Nov 28, 2010
located
1. Leopard does not come on a Single Layer DVD, thus your copy is missing some things.
2. We don't provide information on how to circumvent the law, especially when it is pirating.
3. It could have been a model specific DVD, which will not with any other Mac, than the one, it came with.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Yea you've probably just got some dud Leopard installations, you need to locate a retail one on a dual layer DVD.

mikeyrko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
SC
1. Leopard does not come on a Single Layer DVD, thus your copy is missing some things.
2. We don't provide information on how to circumvent the law, especially when it is pirating.
3. It could have been a model specific DVD, which will not with any other Mac, than the one, it came with.
Yes it was a copy that had stuff removed and no I am not doing anything illegal I have a legit iso of leopard on my computer it will not upgrade to.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes it was a copy that had stuff removed and no I am not doing anything illegal I have a legit iso of leopard on my computer it will not upgrade to.

Then if you have a legit .iso of Leopard, which is a bit unlikely, then why not use that? Burnt to a proper Dual Layer DVD of course.

mikeyrko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
SC
Then if you have a legit .iso of Leopard, which is a bit unlikely, then why not use that? Burnt to a proper Dual Layer DVD of course.

Becouse I was told a iMac g4 could not read a Dual layered dvd

----------

Yea you've probably just got some dud Leopard installations, you need to locate a retail one on a dual layer DVD.

I dont think 2 different copys would both be duds

Nov 28, 2010
located
Becouse I was told a iMac g4 could not read a Dual layered dvd

By whom?
If it can read video DVDs, then it can read dual layer DVDs, as commercial video DVDs are dual layer DVDs (in most cases), but the optical disk drive (ODD) might have problems with some DVD-R or DVD+R media.

Anyway, your model might not be able to WRITE DL-DVDs, only SL-DVDs.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_1.25_17_fp.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_1.25_20_fp.html

----------

I dont think 2 different copys would both be duds
You have one copy on DVD by your friend, and one copy of an .iso file on your Desktop. Do you mean those with "2 different copies"? Because the latter is not bootable.

mikeyrko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
SC
Ok tried burning it to a dvd and it had a error and that was my last DL DVD so I need to go order more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.