Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rakan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Well first off, it's really not the "smart cover" from apple but its a case from invellop which uses identical technology (i.e magnets). I am on iOS 5.1 and i do not see a general setting in which i can turn the iPad cover on/off. It doesn't seem to be responding to me closing the cover or opening it. Any suggestions?

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
Well first off, it's really not the "smart cover" from apple but its a case from invellop which uses identical technology (i.e magnets). I am on iOS 5.1 and i do not see a general setting in which i can turn the iPad cover on/off. It doesn't seem to be responding to me closing the cover or opening it. Any suggestions?

Same here. Weird that the setting is gone.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I think the setting only shows up after using a smart cover. Since the 3rd party covers do not work the setting isn't activated yet.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
See the other threads, Apple apparently moved the sensor.

Official smart covers work since there are several magnets, some third party ones may not if they don't have all the same magnets as Apple used.

@thelead is correct, setting appears only after using a smart cover. That's how it worked on the ipad2 also.

cr-z

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
My one works fine, I have an aftermarket case for my iPad, with the magnetic case. Have you tried going in to the settings for the magnet sleep mode option?

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I read it is not the placement but the polarity of some magnets placed with low end cases.
I also read that Apple will replace your smart cover for free if it fails,

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Yes, it's all about polarity, not placement. While there are more than 20 magnets contained in an Apple Smart Cover, only one of them is responsible for triggering the sleep/wake feature. Starting with the iPad 3, polarity matters.

Click the link in my signature for more details, including an HD video demonstration of the situation.

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.