Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunnyDay24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Hello there!

So, like many of us, I got my iPad and was excited to sync and use it. I've discovered, however, that most of my photos aren't syncing onto my iPad! It's not an issue of memory, I have more memory free than I have photos. Not only that, I've only selected some folders. So now i'm confused :confused:

Taimaru

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
UK
Hi. I had a similar problem and I tracked it down to an issue with iTunes. I first noticed it because iTunes appeared to hang yet was working in the background.

iTunes for some reason (maybe because of the higher resolution) decides to rebuild the whole photo cache when you first sync with the new iPad.

The issue with iTunes is that it looks like the cache rebuild is timing out and it doesn't finish rebuilding. I'm sure it's a bug with the latest version.

The good news is that if you keep syncing the iPad, the cache eventually gets built (it restarts where it left off) and when it finally finishes, all the photos then get copied across.

Hopefully this will get fixed in a new version of iTunes.

I hope this helps.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
Hi. I had a similar problem and I tracked it down to an issue with iTunes. I first noticed it because iTunes appeared to hang yet was working in the background.

iTunes for some reason (maybe because of the higher resolution) decides to rebuild the whole photo cache when you first sync with the new iPad.

The issue with iTunes is that it looks like the cache rebuild is timing out and it doesn't finish rebuilding. I'm sure it's a bug with the latest version.

The good news is that if you keep syncing the iPad, the cache eventually gets built (it restarts where it left off) and when it finally finishes, all the photos then get copied across.

Hopefully this will get fixed in a new version of iTunes.

I hope this helps.

having this issue with my new ipad too. they better release itunes 10.6.1 soon that fixes this problem.

dynamo71au3

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Same problem here - I have tried to Restore the iPad, delete the "ipod photo cache" directory, even move the photos to another folder and nothing works. I have tried to only sync one of the sub folders with only 80 pics and still no dice.

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
I also have the same issue on my iPad 3 64gb 4G. If I select some or all of my 7300 photos, iTunes either converts a few (9 to 15 pics) syncs them and skips the rest or skips them all entirely :mad:, the ones that do sync look stunning on the retina screen though :D

I never had this issue with my old iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and my current 4S or my iPad 1 & 2.

I also tried deleting the photo cache multiple times, restoring the iPad 3 from an iCloud backup as well as a slightly older backup through iTunes, I even reinstalled the old iTunes 10.5 and I still had the same photo sync issue.

Yet my iPhone 4S 64gb is syncing my photos through iTunes via a cable & WiFi just fine :confused:

Seems to be a serious bug in iTunes 10.6 :mad:

St8kout

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
I had the opposite problem. I had no idea itunes would default to uploading the entire "My Pictures" folder to my ipad when I first plugged it in. Tons and tons of pics from over the years. A dialog box asking if you want this would have been nice. Didn't have this problem with my iphone.

Had to search all over to find out how to delete them (have to use itunes) as the red 'delete' button does not light up when you click in the upper right hand corner next to the slideshow icon. Another bug perhaps?

They made so many features similar to using the iphone. I don't understand why they simply could not have the same "trash can" icon show up when you tap a pic.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
well i wont be syncing any more photos to my new ipad till they fix this issue! It took me hours just to setup my ipad because of this! :mad:

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
I even tried copying all 7300 photos to an external drive and syncing them from there, hoping a completely different location may work. Managed 150 odd shots before skipping the rest, this problem is completely random.

Out of those shots a few were the wrong image, the thumbnail image was right but when opened full the image was from a completely different folder :mad:

I even tried this morning setting my iPad 3 up as a new device instead of restoring from iTunes or iCloud, synced only my photos and nothing else but I had the same issue so this is definitely a bug somewhere, I suspect iTunes.

Again, same photos and I have no issue syncing 7300 shots to my iPhone 4S.

Last edited:

dynamo71au3

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Yes I also found that a few of the photos had right thumbnail but then wrong pic when opened up. Even did some strange things to the folders themselves. I have tried everything. The only correlation I can see is that it does appear to have less issues with smaller original image sizes but this is not completely consistent either. Not a happy camper as the main thing for the retina display is to show off my photos :(

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
i checked my photos have the right thumbnails but when i click on the photo it isnt the one on the thumbnail wtf :mad: so i have the same problem as the user above.

does anyone know if you can sync your new ipad with iTunes 10.5.3 and if so does this problem happen on that version too?

Montag451

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
I had this issue as well. Try deleting your iTunes preference files.
Not your iTunes library, yiks.

Quit itunes and delete the pref files found here

Home folder > library > preferences

The files are named something like. com.apple.itunes.plist
Than open iTunes and sync again.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
I had this issue as well. Try deleting your iTunes preference files.
Not your iTunes library, yiks.

Quit itunes and delete the pref files found here

Home folder > library > preferences

The files are named something like. com.apple.itunes.plist
Than open iTunes and sync again.

Did this method fix the issue for you? want to make sure that by doing this i am not wasting time and finding out my photos will still not sync.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Australia
Are you guys on a 64bit PC at all?

I've got the same issue, I tried syncing 7 photos and only 5-6 would sync.

I tried it on my laptop which is 32bit and it worked perfectly.

Taimaru

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
UK

I am using 64bit. Interesting that it works ok with 32bit.

By the way, this is a problem with this version of iTunes (10.6.0.40), not the new iPad because I had the same issue on my iPhone, and I never had the issue until now.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011

Interesting.. so if I where to reformat my computer and install windows 7 32 bit instead of 64 bit this problem would not happen?

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
I tried this over and over. Managed to sync some stuff but sync all photo's always failed. Tried again some time later and it all just worked fine. So maybe perseverance is the key!

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
yeah this is rather interesting.. i have gotten all my photos to sync without failing in one shot. this is what i did.

1. Reformat Computer (Clean Install Windows 7 64 bit)
2. Install iTunes 10.6.1
3. Copy Photos, Music, Apps from External Drive to Computer
4. Reformat new ipad 64 gb wifi
5. iOS 5.1 downloads and Installs
6. Sync photos and all of them add :)
7. Problem solved! :D

I still think there is a issue with iTunes 10.6 and syncing photos that needs to be fixed ASAP so all new ipad users dont get frustrated like I did. They also took a lot longer to add then they would had this been iTunes 10.5

Last edited:

ukwildcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
I had the same problem. Perseverance was the key for me. I had to sync my iPad two or three times before the photos would copy over. I'm running the mist recent version of iTunes on a late 2009 iMac with the latest version of lion.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
should it still take like 2.5 hours to add 6889 photos? :eek: i dont remember it being that slow on ipad 1, 2 or any itunes version but 10.6

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
how long do you guys think it will be before we see a iTunes 10.6.1 update that fixes this problem?

Last edited:

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Well it looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. I was starting to pull my hair out trying to sync photos. I'd get 12-14 out of 1500+ and iTunes would hang and then stop the sync process.

I'm on win7 64bit.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Same issue here got all 7 k photos to sync BUT now they take up almost 16 gig. before on the ipad2 they only took up about 8 gig. Wtf
Can anyone else with 6 or 7 k of photos confirm how much gig it's taking up?

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Same issue here got all 7 k photos to sync BUT now they take up almost 16 gig. before on the ipad2 they only took up about 8 gig. Wtf
Can anyone else with 6 or 7 k of photos confirm how much gig it's taking up?
Possibly because the iPad 2 downsized them for its screen resolution. The iPad3 did not have to downsize them as much or at all so they will take up more room.

The space my 7k of photos takes up can be vastly different from your 7k of photos. It all depends on dimensions, quality and so on.

I use Adobe Lightroom and reexported my photos to use the long edge of 2048px to match the new ipads resolution. My 1,500 photos average a little 2mb each and took up a over 3gb on my PC. Now I just need a fix for this syncing issue so I can load them on my iPad.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
I was really hopeing for iTunes 10.6.1 by now that fixes both of these problems.

Tried syncing again today all photos synced but some still in wrong folder so its only partially fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.