Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwward

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Saint Louis MO
New Design?

I appreciate the new thread.

I think the idea that Apple jumps in response to the market (ie as soon as Ivy Bridge is available) is just wrong. Apple views itself as a market creator and releases new products on their own timeline -- When the components they need to make the upgrades they want are available in sufficient quantity and price.

My guess is that the iMac 2012 will come out in time for the back to school market (June, July?). I think the current design is dated and I expect a new design that is all flat screen like a 27" iPad. I'm not saying it's a touch screen but damn, would that be hot!

I'm ready to upgrade.

I certainly hope USB 3.0 is included and probably won't buy without it. I'm disappointed that my new MBA didn't have the USB 3.0 -- I should have paid more attention.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I'm REALLY hoping for USB 3.0 and i'm hoping for an extra port or two. Four USB ports just isn't enough. I have an external HDD, external 1080p webcam, Hauppauge for recording Xbox gameplay, my mouse, my keyboard, etc.

We shall see my friend! If Apple didn't implement it, it would mean they went out of their way completely to make sure it doesn't work. But I find that improbable and highly unlikely.

USB 3.0 isn't technically some (even though it kind of is right now) premium technology that will forever be shadowed by 2.0, it's new that's all. Eventually, all computers will be running 3.0, so it's only natural that Apple will include it, plus the native support from Intel now points toward a yes.

Thunderbolt will remain a premium much like FW did and still kind of does to this day.

Obviously when external TB drives drop to where FW800 ones are today, I will pick one up. For now, USB 3.0 will be more than fine!

Speens911

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
I talked to someone at best buy and they said the stock on the current iMacs will end in may. They didn't say when in may but I'm guessing the first two weeks of may

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I hope the new iMac is a redesign and at a lower price point for us here in Australia since our dollar has been above the US$ for some time now.

I expect USB3 and better spec's across the range (HDD/RAM CPU) maybe even a bigger base model screen say 23-24 inch.

Hope it comes out around July :)

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Store is down. This could be it..... :)

Interesting, at 11:30PM PST the site is still down. I doubt will actually see anything, but as always, would love to be proven wrong!

screenshot20120314at113.png

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
hi all!

i really hope the next imac will not have the problems i had with the last one.
no dust under the glass, yellow issue.....

i truly love the apple design, but cmon apple bit more quality control.

We have had three iMacs in the last 3 years, each from the last 3 subsequent refreshes. We have not experienced any of these issues.

EnokG

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Release date

Well it is always hard to predict anything from Apple, they are very secretive and the iMac can come out at any moment. My best prediction though is it will come maybe a few weeks after the Ivy Bridge processor is released. The scheduled real ease of the Ivy Bridge is in the midst of April. So according to my predictions i believe the iMac will be launched in the beginning of May and will be in stores a week after. Hope i could help!!

shortie8512

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Guildford, UK
Well it is always hard to predict anything from Apple, they are very secretive and the iMac can come out at any moment. My best prediction though is it will come maybe a few weeks after the Ivy Bridge processor is released. The scheduled real ease of the Ivy Bridge is in the midst of April. So according to my predictions i believe the iMac will be launched in the beginning of May and will be in stores a week after. Hope i could help!!

I reckon a refresh is most likely when Mountain Lion is launched...

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
what about all the rumors of april macbook pro airified with ivy bridge? maybe apple gets them earlier?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
My thoughts on the refresh: Hurry up and release it. I'm so anxious to sell my 2009 for a top of the line 2012 that i can't stand it.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
I'm waiting on the next release and then my kids will inherit my 09 27" iMac. It will be their first computer. We have to start them out right!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm currently waiting to buy my first iMac but am waiting for the refresh. One question though. If Apple redesign are there likely to be teething problems with the hardware? Or is it more likely that the Mountain Lion release will have bugs. As this is my family's first Mac ( other than OS devices) I want the experience to be good as possible.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I'm currently waiting to buy my first iMac but am waiting for the refresh. One question though. If Apple redesign are there likely to be teething problems with the hardware? Or is it more likely that the Mountain Lion release will have bugs. As this is my family's first Mac ( other than OS devices) I want the experience to be good as possible.

Hardware problems are unlikely to be major. Every machine is different. Some have issues, most don't. As far as Mountain Lion, the developer previews are already pretty reliable, but there will be bugs. Pretty much impossible to avoid bugs. It usually has a big bug here and there up until the .3 or .4 version of each new OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.