Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What actions do you want?

• Total voters

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
What if you ditch the bezel entirely? Wouldn't that be a ~30" screen in the same form factor?

softservedesign

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
A quick Mock

This isnt the best mockup, but this is close to what I'd like to see.
Along with a redesigned magic mouse that is more ergonomic -- I never like the trackpad, It hurts my wrist doing photoshop and web design.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
There are a few high res 20-30" panels made for the medical industry. They're not what you'd call retina, and they still start around $5k for a 21" display. I can't remember who makes the panels for them, but NEC and Barco both use extremely high resolution panels for displays made for that field.

Medical grade diagnostic monitors are very pricey, in part because of their performance specs. For example, Barco's 6MP color display is ~$18K, while their 3MP monitor is around $7K (list prices). Clinical displays, which are intended for general use, are a lot cheaper. Not too long ago, color monitors were relatively rare in radiology departments, but that's changing quickly as more imaging modalities use color.

----------

How about with a profile like this?

Maybe too thin for this time around. But some day...

I like the mockup, but a way to adjust height would be even better.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
As I mentioned.. here? In another thread? The 27" model is already "retina" if your face is ~3 ft or more away from it.

But Retina refers to normal viewing distance. I have a 24" iMac and I just checked, my normal viewing distance is 22". I don't think that would change much with a 27", certainly not to more than 3 ft.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
But Retina refers to normal viewing distance. I have a 24" iMac and I just checked, my normal viewing distance is 22". I don't think that would change much with a 27", certainly not to more than 3 ft.

When I switched to a 24" (from a 20"), I ended up moving it further back on the desk. It was too much monitor in my face (so I can imagine how the 27" is going to feel in a few months). Turns out my 24" is about 34 1/2" from my eyes.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I know this isn't a great mockup, but I made it pretty fast. I heard lots of people saying they want the screen to touch the edges and I wanted to see how that looked, so this is my interpretation of it.

imac2012.jpg

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I know this isn't a great mockup, but I made it pretty fast. I heard lots of people saying they want the screen to touch the edges and I wanted to see how that looked, so this is my interpretation of it.

Nice, but what about removing the top part (forehead???) and have the iSight built into the Apple logo?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
My preferences in order. (Most aren't likely at all, but hey, i can dream)

30 inch model > 6 or 8 core system > Retina display > complete redesign

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I think that it is quite unlikely we will see a new design, or maybe I should say a radically new design.

In order to support this, I point towards the rumors around the 15" MBP possibly being redesigned to reflect the MBA styling. We are seeing rumors about this in anticipation of an April release (though I think that is too early of an estimate).

Presumably, one aspect of what is fueling these rumors is sightings/reports of such hardware in the supply chains (think prototypes). We are not seeing any rumors of an iMac redesign when (as I would argue) it is more likely to be released before the new MBPs. The lack of rumors about a product that (if redesigned) would likely be undergoing very limited test productions at this point, then makes me believe we won't see a new design.

It could be that the new design is so minimal it is not worth reporting and/or it is not that noticeable, however, there would have to be some altering of current production lines to accomodate a new design which would likely lead to new rumors.

I should clarify that I am not saying there will be no redesign for sure, just that I don't think the current data supports a conclusion of expecting one.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Nice, but what about removing the top part (forehead???) and have the iSight built into the Apple logo?

I'm guessing you'd look pretty ridiculous reaching down to FaceTime like that. lol. That, or your monitor would be way too high. Either way wouldn't work very well.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011

good mockup but perhaps it could be simetrical above and below.

Like the iphone, the chin is the same size as the forehead. And a small thin bezel on the sides.

Apple souce

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
good mockup but perhaps it could be simetrical above and below.

Like the iphone, the chin is the same size as the forehead. And a small thin bezel on the sides.

this please :D its interesting seeing all the different mockups ahead of the launch. I have a feeling that it might end up looking somewhat like the mockups in this thread.

DanPosMaytee

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Preston, England.
I noticed prices for iMacs are now dropping on Amazon, does this mean that the iMac refresh could come any time soon?

It'll be my first Mac although I've used them for a while at college and University.

Roll on June 25th (my birthday and hopefully the new iMacs will be out by then so I don't have to wait)

Versaliense

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I noticed prices for iMacs are now dropping on Amazon, does this mean that the iMac refresh could come any time soon?

It'll be my first Mac although I've used them for a while at college and University.

Roll on June 25th (my birthday and hopefully the new iMacs will be out by then so I don't have to wait)

Seems like here in Sweden one premium reseller have reduced the price on it aswell, they also only offer the i5 version atm.. (the other reseller here have hardly any in stock aswell). lets hope the new ones are incoming =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.