Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkAether

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2010
I just posted my review of this case on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CKLCSK

Rushed to get a case for launch of the 3rd gen IPad and settled with the Targus Vuscape, which in general design is extremely similar in functionality. But for > $40 felt like cheap thin vinyl over some puffy cushioning that seemed to deform with the slightest pressure. I was extremely happy to see the Moko offered later the same day of the launch, because I was extremely happy with their case for the Kindle Fire (which was much more solid than the similar Marware and Targus cases for the Fire). Even though the Moko's price is a ridiculously cheap $10 shipped, it feels much more substantial (solidly built - not overly heavy) than the Targus. Fit and finish is perfect. No sloppy stitching like on the Targus. The magnet on/off works!. It has the convenient elastic hand strap, and also has another small elastic strap to hold the case open. In stand mode, the positions are very solid and when put back, the case snaps on to the corners of the IPad with a satisfying grip that let's you know they won't slip out. Those corner grips are lined with material so you don't need to worry about scratching like some of the other cases that have plastic corner tabs. No it's not real leather, but it's a thick vinyl (unlike the Targus) that is textured like leather and really has the feel of leather. ****The only negative on this case is that it could use a third lower slot to angle the IPad a bit lower for typing. All in all I give it a 4/5.

What I didn't post in the review... I'm returning the Targus case for a refund. I also had pre-ordered a Incipio Lexington, which I'm now canceling.

UPDATE:
****Per below, there *is* a typing position, so now I can wholeheartedly say I give it a 5/5

Last edited:

DarkAether

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Pix...

Attachments

• IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 551

DarkAether

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2010
More...

Attachments

• IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 514

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
This is awesome! Question: How many viewing angles are there ?

EDIT: NM I seen all the pictures on amazon (in details). So only two huh, shame if this thing had just one more for a really typing angle... I would be ALL over this!

Last edited:

DarkAether

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Damn not bad at all for 9.99. Love the strap. How much does it weigh?
According to our kitchen scale, it's 10.5 oz empty and 2lbs 1.7 oz with the IPad in it, but I can't say that our scale is 100% accurate.

----------

Just the two. You can see the indents in the first picture in post #3. That's the only short coming for me. It would benefit from an additional lower angled position for a bit better typing position.

reebs

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Exactly what I was looking for! Style is similar to Marware CEO and Toblino 2. And $10 :eek: Thanks for posting!

----------

EDIT: NM I seen all the pictures on amazon (in details). So only two huh, shame if this thing had just one more for a really typing angle... I would be ALL over this!

If the design is same as other cases I mentioned above and it sure looks like it, there is a typing angle! Just let it go all the way to the edge towards clasp area in viewing angle mode. I'll see if I can find a pic. Not sure if I'm describing well :rolleyes:

DarkAether

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Yes, I can confirm that the Moko can be slid to that same angle, but there's a slight bit of bounce when you type. Not to the point of being annoying, but it's not the rock solid hold of the slot positions. So, I guess I take back that reservation on typing angle....

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Question to the OP:

Do you think it would fit with a full body skin? Or is it extremely snug as is already?

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hard to believe this is so similar to the Marware CEO Hybrid. I was about to order their's for $50. Has anyone seem both first hand and can comment on how the quality compares? Are the designs exactly the same?

I had the CEO for the first iPad and really liked it. I too was disappointed in the bounce when using it in the typing angle. It's not that bad, but what I liked most about the case was how sturdy it was propped up at a viewing angle, so I wish the typing position was just as nice. The protection provided was also great, it made me feel as if the iPad was encased in armor.

I'm really interested in how these two compare. They could be made at the same factory and just branded differently.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
my last $10 case was from monoprice. it has worked out extremely well but is worn. this should fit the bill.

thanks OP

St8kout

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
What a great find. Just ordered one myself. Amazon always gets me with that free shipping offer if your total is $25 (they know people like me hate to waste almost $9 shipping) so I added some stuff to get me to $25. Hey, there's always something I need more of:)

Even though they say 8-10 days for the free shipping option, it usually doesn't take any longer than standard shipping. Last week I ordered from them on Sunday night and got it the following Tuesday with free shipping, so you never know.

DarkAether

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Hard to believe this is so similar to the Marware CEO Hybrid. I was about to order their's for $50. Has anyone seem both first hand and can comment on how the quality compares? Are the designs exactly the same?

I had the CEO for the first iPad and really liked it. I too was disappointed in the bounce when using it in the typing angle. It's not that bad, but what I liked most about the case was how sturdy it was propped up at a viewing angle, so I wish the typing position was just as nice. The protection provided was also great, it made me feel as if the iPad was encased in armor.

I'm really interested in how these two compare. They could be made at the same factory and just branded differently.

While I don't have the Marware CEO for the new Ipad, as I mentioned above, I did buy the Marware, Targus and Moko cases for the two Kindle Fire's that my wife and I own. The Marware is very similar to the fit, finish and general feel of the Moko. Only difference is supposedly the Marware for the Kindle is real leather (not the case for the IPad model) and doesn't have the lip at the edge of the flap to snap in place and relies on a long elastic instead (also not the case for the IPad model) - unfortunately this latter feature (or lack thereof) allowed the cover flap to not always be aligned with the edges, which made me concerned about how well it would protect in a drop. Again, the CEO for the new IPad is supposed to have a lip, so I wouldn't have that concern. I actually would have ordered the Marware pre-launch if they had offered something other than Carbon Fiber. Was pleasantly surprised that the Moko popped up on Amazon on Friday, so I snapped it up based on my experience with the Kindle version. Was even happier that it arrived the next day after ordering without paying for one day shipping. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.