Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Denmark
I think OS X Mountain Lion needs a further revision than the current provided one. Something that will make the OS more simple. Apps need to focus on what their names implies solely.

Store (or iStore)
*• This will replace*Mac App Store and iTunes Store and manage everything you buy through your Mac for Apple products.
*• It will contain the following categories: Music, Films, Shows, Audiobooks, Podcasts, Books, Apps and Updates.
*• When you buy content it will move the bought material to it's rightfully program; music, audiobooks and podcast goes to iTunes, films and shows go to iMovie now, books go to iBooks, (Mac) Apps goes to Finder and Launchpad, and (iPod, iPhone and iPad) Apps and books stays within the Store.
*• There will within every category be a "Bought" section to show what you have gotten through the Store. This is how you know what your iOS device will get when connected.

Device Handler
Instead of managing your iOS device through iTunes, whenever you connect your device an app specifically for device management will appear where you will be able to manage everything about the device.*The icon varies depending on the device, just like in iTunes.

iPhoto: for viewing, managing and editing photos
iMovie: for viewing, managing and editing videos (in the dock by standard now)
iTunes: for playing, managing and (minor) editing. Remove Store and Ping, and integrate Twitter, Facebook instead, so people find it more appealing to use iTunes (like with Spotify). "X just bought Y song", "X listened to U song", "X shared a preview of Y so". This will compete against Spotify and make make music socially engaging (=more song buys through iTunes).
GarageBand: music creation and editing

iTunes will stay the same for PC except for renaming "iTunes store" to either "iStore" or "Store".

Application for communication
Make an application that has FaceTime, Messages and call function, and make it support all operating softwares: OS X, iOS, Windows and Android. They should compete against Skype which basically already offers this but it can be done much better. This app will have a list of friends and clicking on a name will give the following options: message, talk or video. Nobody only has friends with Apple devices making FaceTime and Messages less appealing.

Thoughts?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So you want Apple to spend time writing an iStore program that can play previews of Music and Movies and handle purchasing everything you listed?

Right now iTunes Store and Mac App Store both work. I don't think apple needs to waste its time on an idea like this.

Also, "iTunes Store" is a recognized brand name. You don't toss that out as rubbish and go with a name like "iStore".

In my opinion, this is a bad suggestion for multiple reasons.

As for the Device Handler piece, for iPhoto, it makes sense, but only in addition to iTunes handling it. Some people don't use iPhoto and don't have it on their system. Also iTunes on Windows would still have to handle the photos anyway.

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Having iTunes on Windows PCs has been both a blessing and a curse for Apple. It's been good for allowing their devices to work with a much larger market than just those people that own Macs.

However, there are many parts of iTunes that should and could be baked directly into the OS rather than require opening the iTunes app. All of the syncing and sharing features come to mind for one. But they can't do that on the Windows version of iTunes.

It would be interesting to see in the future if they drop the Windows iTunes version so they can make a better iTunes by not considering the Windows restrictions. With iCloud and iOS5 making iPods, Phones, and iPads no longer requiring iTunes or a computer, it is entirely possible for them to do that now.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It would be interesting to see in the future if they drop the Windows iTunes version so they can make a better iTunes by not considering the Windows restrictions.
Dropping windows iTunes would be a bad idea. In no particular order:
  • There are a lot more Windows users out their than OS X users.
  • Dropping Windows iTunes would bring on a massive (and deserved) class action lawsuit since there is purchased content involved.
  • People on Windows do listen to music also. And they even buy music.

iTunes on the OS X doesn't need to be limited by all the Windows restrictions, however, keeping them similar helps in a lot of ways.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
How could there be a lawsuit since iTunes isn't even required anymore? You do realize that the only reason they put iTunes on Windows is because it was absolutely required to use their mobile devices, right?

That requirement is now gone. You don't even need a computer anymore. It's nice to have, but not a requirement to use iPhones and iPads anymore. With iOS5 and iCloud, the computer is just another device.

And I'm talking about a few years down the road. Surely they wouldn't do it right now. But I am looking forward to it. The Windows restrictions are stunting what iTunes could be. There is absolutely no reason why iTunes needs to be open to sync my devices or to share content when that could be built into the OS itself except the fact that it can't be built into the Windows OS by Apple.

In fact, a large number of the functions that iTunes now does could be done by the OS itself. Then iTunes could go back to focusing on media playback.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
How could there be a lawsuit since iTunes isn't even required anymore? You do realize that the only reason they put iTunes on Windows is because it was absolutely required to use their mobile devices, right?

That requirement is now gone. You don't even need a computer anymore.
But you still need iTunes if you want to play back music on the computer. As a matter of fact I know people who use iTunes on windows and buy music from the iTunes store and they don't even have an iPod/iPad/iPhone.

As for the lawsuit? People sue over anything these days you know that. And this I could see as a valid suit. Apple Stops maintaining iTunes on Windows and then a windows patch breaks iTunes (for whatever reason). People no longer have access to music they paid for.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I agree with you for the most part I'd like to add. I'd also like to see this make it to iOS.

iCloud Store (Purchases for iOS/OS X)
- Apps
- Music
- Movies
- TV Shows
- Books

1. iTunes (Share, Organize, Smart Radio) w/Ping
2. GarageBand (Create)

3. Photos (Share, Organize) w/Ping
4. iPhoto (Create, Edit) - by create I mean Photoshop

5. Videos (Share, Organize) w/ Ping
6. iMovie (Create)

7. Game Center (Share, Organize) w/ Ping
8. iBooks + Audiobooks (Share, Organize) w/ Ping
9. iBook Author (Create)

iVault like 1Password but with iCloud.

System Preference changed to be called Settings

Kill Stickies (Everything will be done in Notes)
Kill DVD Player (Everything will play in Videos App)
Kill Image Capture (Everything will be done in iPhoto)
Kill Quicktime Player (Screen recording in iMovie) - Still can play Quicktime videos but no individual app.

Last edited:

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
I think OS X Mountain Lion needs a further revision than the current provided one. Something that will make the OS more simple. Apps need to focus on what their names implies solely.

Store (or iStore)
*• This will replace*Mac App Store and iTunes Store and manage everything you buy through your Mac for Apple products.
*• It will contain the following categories: Music, Films, Shows, Audiobooks, Podcasts, Books, Apps and Updates.
*• When you buy content it will move the bought material to it's rightfully program; music, audiobooks and podcast goes to iTunes, films and shows go to iMovie now, books go to iBooks, (Mac) Apps goes to Finder and Launchpad, and (iPod, iPhone and iPad) Apps and books stays within the Store.
*• There will within every category be a "Bought" section to show what you have gotten through the Store. This is how you know what your iOS device will get when connected.

Device Handler
Instead of managing your iOS device through iTunes, whenever you connect your device an app specifically for device management will appear where you will be able to manage everything about the device.*The icon varies depending on the device, just like in iTunes.

iPhoto: for viewing, managing and editing photos
iMovie: for viewing, managing and editing videos (in the dock by standard now)
iTunes: for playing, managing and (minor) editing. Remove Store and Ping, and integrate Twitter, Facebook instead, so people find it more appealing to use iTunes (like with Spotify). "X just bought Y song", "X listened to U song", "X shared a preview of Y so". This will compete against Spotify and make make music socially engaging (=more song buys through iTunes).
GarageBand: music creation and editing

iTunes will stay the same for PC except for renaming "iTunes store" to either "iStore" or "Store".

Application for communication
Make an application that has FaceTime, Messages and call function, and make it support all operating softwares: OS X, iOS, Windows and Android. They should compete against Skype which basically already offers this but it can be done much better. This app will have a list of friends and clicking on a name will give the following options: message, talk or video. Nobody only has friends with Apple devices making FaceTime and Messages less appealing.

Thoughts?

That this doesn’t make any sense. First change for the sake of change is ********* and second there is no advantage of doing this over current way, just that you start felling better.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Kill DVD Player (Everything will play in iMovie)

Problem - iMovie isn’t (and never was) built for Movie Playback. iMovie is for creation of Movies.

See above - iPhoto is not built for importing of all images. Apple intents it to be a photography tool, not an image program.

Kill Photo Booth (Photo Booth will part of iPhoto)
I doubt that will happen - iPhoto is aimed at photo organization. That goes beyond it’s boundaries

Kill Quicktime Player (Screen recording in iMovie Director)

That will not happen. You kill Quicktime and you kill iTunes (since iTunes uses quicktime for playback. iMovie is not designed for these things.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Good points but this thread was what we think Apple should change. My way makes more sense then Apple's current way.

Problem - iMovie isn’t (and never was) built for Movie Playback. iMovie is for creation of Movies.

See above - iPhoto is not built for importing of all images. Apple intents it to be a photography tool, not an image program.

I doubt that will happen - iPhoto is aimed at photo organization. That goes beyond it’s boundaries

That will not happen. You kill Quicktime and you kill iTunes (since iTunes uses quicktime for playback. iMovie is not designed for these things.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Good points but this thread was what we think Apple should change. My way makes more sense then Apple's current way.
There are a couple of problems with your way. You're saying Apple should eliminate free programs that come with the OS and should bundle the functionality in applications one has to pay for?

Also "iStore" is something that getting a trademark for would be difficult. "iTunes Store" also has brand recognition even among windows users.

And lastly can you imagine the reaction from movie studios that the movie editing software will be what plays DVDs? Even if playing and creating movies are 2 separate application, but both iMovie ____.

Oh, and PING better still be optional.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
There are a couple of problems with your way. You're saying Apple should eliminate free programs that come with the OS and should bundle the functionality in applications one has to pay for?

Also "iStore" is something that getting a trademark for would be difficult. "iTunes Store" also has brand recognition even among windows users.

And lastly can you imagine the reaction from movie studios that the movie editing software will be what plays DVDs? Even if playing and creating movies are 2 separate application, but both iMovie ____.

Oh, and PING better still be optional.

Doesn't matter what you call them... I'm saying they should go the way of iBooks and iBooks Author. An application for consuming and share. And then an application for creating.

I'll change the names if that helps :) How does it look now ^

Last edited:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I agree with you for the most part I'd like to add. I'd also like to see this make it to iOS.

iCloud Store (Purchases for iOS/OS X)
- Apps
- Music
- Movies
- TV Shows
- Books

1. iTunes (Share, Organize, Smart Radio) w/Ping
2. GarageBand (Create)

3. Photos (Share, Organize) w/Ping
4. iPhoto (Create, Edit) - by create I mean Photoshop

5. Videos (Share, Organize) w/ Ping
6. iMovie (Create)

7. Game Center (Share, Organize) w/ Ping
8. iBooks + Audiobooks (Share, Organize) w/ Ping
9. iBook Author (Create)

iVault like 1Password but with iCloud.

System Preference changed to be called Settings

Kill Stickies (Everything will be done in Notes)
Kill DVD Player (Everything will play in Videos App)
Kill Quicktime Player (Screen recording in iMovie) - Still can play Quicktime videos but no individual app.

I'd like to draw your attention to this thread, and try and convince them...

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
We don't need to convince them. Everyone will conform to iOS, Android, and Metro or they won't be using a computer in the future. The more "invisible" the product is the more people will want it.

Angrinkin

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
New Spotlight

I'm still thinking of a way that Apple could implement this, but I have a feeling that Spotlight will change. We've seen the addition of a search field in Launchpad, and considering Apple's dedication to "meshing" iOS and OS X, I could see a left-to-right swipe for spotlight access (and entirely new Spotlight interface where Dashboard currently resides in Lion). This makes sense for a couple of reasons:

1. As I stated before, they are trying to bring elements from iOS to OS X, and this would further than transition.

2. In ML, the menu bar is starting to clutter with the notifications icon, full screen button, and spotlight button.

So, what do you think? How could this be implemented?

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Mountain Lion needs;

1. This entire thread; https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1344330/

2. iTunes alternative, a small lightweight, bloat-free application dedicated ONLY for the purpose of playing back music. The only thing that comes close is Enqueue;

3ad9d22c616eec9997e4106045cf7f41.png

3. RAM/CPU optimization like Snow Leopard. Lion currently fails (badly). I won't touch it with a 6 foot insulated clown pole. Until gets OS X 10.8 running the way it should, I'm sticking to 10.6.8

4. Removal of all the iOS implementation crap. iOS = iDevices. OS X = Real Computers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.