Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
I have the plastic it came with still on my iPad. Waiting for PowerSupport to release the screen protector

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Jeez. Put it in a case that covers the front and back when you're not using it and don't worry about it. Besides, the PS screen protector that fits the iPad 2 will also fit the new iPad.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
I used to put screen protectors on and obsess about it. I understand where you two are coming from, but it feels much better without one on, and you don't put it in your pocket like your phone so its MUCH less likely to get scratched. My iPad two (which is now my wifes) still looks brand new and had nothing but a smart cover.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
So annoying to use it through the plastic. I tried. Haha. But at the end of the day it's a device to be used. Unless you need to keep it pristine for resale. I'm just going to enjoy mine but will put it in a case once I get the case.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I've heard that wrapping it in tin foil give the same effect as keeping the plastic packaging. Another advantage is that it would match your hat.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I don't get screen protectors on iPads. The screen simply does not get scratched on them, as it's not like you keep it in your pockets with your keys.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
The Power Support Crystal Film for the iPad 3 is the same one as the Crystal Film labeled for the iPad 2.

I bought my iPad 3 on launch morning...got home...restored from a backup of my iPad 2 (Yes, I removed the plastic)...and immediately thereafter drove to the Power Support store in Burbank where they expertly installed the Crystal Film protector for me.

The Crystal Film looks awesome on the iPad 3...fits perfectly...

There is no need for you to wait any longer.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
I used to put screen protectors on and obsess about it. I understand where you two are coming from, but it feels much better without one on, and you don't put it in your pocket like your phone so its MUCH less likely to get scratched. My iPad two (which is now my wifes) still looks brand new and had nothing but a smart cover.

I hate the feel of plain glass. So matte is the only way to go imo.

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
From my understanding, the screen protector is not needed because apple doesn't supply them.

I use a case so I don't drop. But it's glass, you wipe it off.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I've been using my iPad 2 for a year with no screen protector, with a baby banging and drooling on it. Not a scratch. These things are built tough, a week without a layer of plastic over it won't do a thing. Just don't clean it with steel wool.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I've been using my iPad 2 for a year with no screen protector, with a baby banging and drooling on it. Not a scratch. These things are built tough, a week without a layer of plastic over it won't do a thing. Just don't clean it with steel wool.

Gorilla glass folks...Gorilla glass! This stuff is tough and designed to be used! It doesn't scratch easy!

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
The glass itself won't scratch easily but the oleophobic coating will scratch which would explain the little nicks and scratches some folks have reported on their iPhones and iPads.

The way I see it...I don't really care if anybody else uses a screen protector, but for me, it represents peace of mind...

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
Well I just got my 32GB swap from a 16Gb was not feeling roomy and I still have the plastic cover on..haha yeah I'm taking it off..I'm not going to wait like a week for my power support to come..just keep it clean and use a clean micro fiber and blow it off..I sure do love the feel of nakedness :D

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
I've heard that wrapping it in tin foil give the same effect as keeping the plastic packaging. Another advantage is that it would match your hat.

This isn't irrational paranoia. It's me not wanting to scratch a screen I'll be looking at for the next year. I can still use the device. It's just a thin membrane of plastic.

Plastic on =/= useless.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I like how we can discuss simple (or what some would call, silly) things like this without too much ridicule.

It might be because it's an Apple forum... ;O

Anyways, I don't even use screen protectors really. If I had unlimited money and found a nice protector, maybe I would. But spending tons of money on protection really adds up once you've gone through many devices. Sometimes it's the small things that really add up.

Despite not using protection, I don't see any big negative effects. I don't remember scratching my iPad(s) when I had them. I'd say you might be fine not using the plastic for now. But I understand your concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.