Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berol

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
http://www.macosrumors.com

"Apple's first quad-processor Mac [] will be [] the []Xstation[]. Dual-processor Powerbooks and other dual-processor Macs will follow the introduction of this new machine which could come as soon as Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference early next month"

Dual G4 powerbooks would make me think G5 Powerbooks are a looooooooooong ways off.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
When I hear TS report it, I'll believe it. I really think dual core is the best way to go for the Powerbooks. G5's in their current model are impossible to fit in a 1inch enclosure. Dual core 1.67ghz G4s would probably on par with a single 2.3ghx G5 IMO.

All heresay.

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
The track record of macosrumors pretty much is as horrible as it can get, they make most of their stories up, and pretty much I dont listen to anything they got to say...

BUT I do think that there will be major reschuffling in Apple lineup soon, there is too much new technology on the horizon (dual core processors, soon to be Power5 derivatives, and also there is the CELL which could be used as a coprocessor) and I think that Powermacs will be dropped and a new headless iMac like computer with a bit more expandability for the general consumer will be introduced and also a new high end workstation will be introduced to replace the Powermac line (Powermac is like what 9-10 years old I believe so its time to drop it)

I dont think there is a whole lot room to stay with Powermac and also introduce an xstation as render farms buy xserves with powermacs anyway so I dont know who would want to buy just a computer in probably a 3500-5000 range...

Anyway as I mentioned earlier, there is too much new technology on the horizon, we might see a totally new architecture for the pro mac and I dont mean just new processors but also a coprocessor to handle multimedia tasks such as H.264 encoding/decoding and let me think, what is the only processor design that currently can handle it with ease and it doesnt cost a fortune? yep the CELL...

Of course these are my own speculations and predictions but then again I can work for macosrumors anytime they want as I can make up stories even better than they can lol

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
That's a bit of a wild claim isn't it? Do they have any basis for this at all do you suppose or is it just all wishful thinking? Do we have any idea of how accurate their reports have been in the past? Think Secret are usually on the ball with the rumours and they haven't said anything about this lately so I would say it's bunkum.....but partly because I wanted to use the word 'bunkum' there :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well, if MacOSRumors says it's true it must be...

condescending.jpg

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Don't forget that Motorola are developing a 3Ghz CPU and they do have the MPC8641D processor which is a Dual e600 PowerPC core, >1.5GHz each, 2.3MIPS/MHz.

The MPC7448 & MPC8641 are both single core e600 PowerPC core, >1.5GHz, 2.3MIPS/MHz.

So Apple may surprise everyone and use these CPU's.

For more info click here

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
MacRy said:
That's a bit of a wild claim isn't it? Do they have any basis for this at all do you suppose or is it just all wishful thinking? Do we have any idea of how accurate their reports have been in the past? Think Secret are usually on the ball with the rumours and they haven't said anything about this lately so I would say it's bunkum.....but partly because I wanted to use the word 'bunkum' there :)
Well, TS has supported the idea of new PMs based on the 970MP, which is all this macosrumors story is alluding too. I think they are just restating what has already been said by others, as usual.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
The dual core G4 hasn't even been sampled yet. To expect it this year is foolish. It will be sampled in fall '05. Expect it mid '06. It has a 667 Mhz FSB which is the current 2 Ghz iMac G5 FSB. The PPC 7448 should have been sampled this past winter. It is really a minor CPU upgrade. Cooler as usual, a meager 200 Mhz FSB speeds to 1.8-2 Ghz. I say the G5 Powerbook will be out before the dual core G4 has a chance to get in the powerbooks. But, that is my opinion.

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
themacman said:
what would an xstation look like?

My bet is it would probably be a tower much like the current G5 Powermac (which is definately oversized already)... I dont think its in Apples style to build physically big machines, even the xserves look slim and sexy where the same cant be said about the PC world, one thing is for sure, Apple will definately take its time designing such a machine just like they do with all of their machines... Apple computers definately are the best looking computers I have ever seen...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Daveway said:
When I hear TS report it, I'll believe it. I really think dual core is the best way to go for the Powerbooks. G5's in their current model are impossible to fit in a 1inch enclosure. Dual core 1.67ghz G4s would probably on par with a single 2.3ghx G5 IMO.

All heresay.

Yeah, TS has been quite for a while on this but the iBooks are due...

Dragonopolis

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2005
I would have to agree on Macrumors track record as of lately.

As for the mysterious xstation, who knows -- One thing is for sure, I have to agree with with blitzkrieg79 on Apple's line up becoming outdated especially with the Powermacs. The iMac and mini have some life left but it is unkown how far performance can be pushed with their current designs.

Apple needs to shake up their computer lineup to respark the public interest. The iPod has done an excellent job of making people aware that Apple still exist and now that eyes are on them they need to sink them Tiger teeth a little deeper with an all new line-up.

By the end of this year, Intel/AMD should be in a position to push dual-core versions of their chips. Apple will probably go with dual-core before the cell-processor (if they do cell that is). If Apple offers dual core they should at least keep the current processor line-up the same (i.e. mini,eMac,iMac, have 1 dual-core processor and Powermacs have 2 dual-core processors). The reason being that Intel/AMD probably will not be able to match price/performance that the PowerPC architecure has (since all the game consoles main processors are coming from IBM -- all that mula IBM will be making will only further PowerPC/Cell technology.

My opinion on whatever Apple does -- they better do a few things if they want to entice me to by another Mac: Make it smaller or even better looking, Must graphically WOW me over my new cheap game consoles (well at least better than X360 anyways) be leaps and bounds faster than my current Powermac Dual 2.5 GHz ( come on Apple, only a small speed bump from last generation. I can upgrade my current mac with a new firewire drive or DVD drive for Cheap (and faster), or spent the money on more memory.

I still wish apple would recognize the fact that there are lots of people out there, like me, who need and use a lot of processor and GPU power but don't need the expansion capability or the price tag that comes with Powermacs. I would be a happy camper if Apple had released an Top Model iMac with a 6800 ultra (I do alot of graphic oriented work and love gaming). I believed they could have pulled it off at around $2500 price tag. I have not, and probably never will, place anything other than a graphic card in the available PCI slots on my Powermac.

Hmmm guess I'll just have to keep on waiting and wishing
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.