Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BezMK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Hi all,

My iPhone 4S is AT&T, latest software, never jailbroken. Today I went to download the Tweetbot update but the app got stuck on waiting. So I rebooted the phone and it was still stuck. I deleted the app and tried to redownload it, but it didn't work.

So then I tried a hard reset, and that didn't work. Reset my network settings, and that didn't work.

Before I left work at 5, I tried again to download two apps but they just got stuck on waiting. So I left them there and when I got home at 6, they were installed. Right away, I tried to download another app but, again, it got stuck on waiting.

I am home now and have tried to sync with iTunes on my laptop, sign in and out of the App Store, but nothing works. I can download apps in iTunes on my laptop and sync them that way, but it's annoying not being able to use the App Store on my phone.

I Googled and searched the forums a bit and found quite a bit of threads. But most of the suggested solutions were focused on deleting the waiting apps. I can do that just fine. But I can't figure out how to fix it to where I can, you know, download apps from the App Store!

My last solution is to just restore to factory settings, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

Any tips?

Thanks all!

lobsterkatie

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
I'm having the same problem - it started today. No idea what's going on. The rest of my apps seem to be behaving normally. I'm on a Verizon 4S, 5.0.1, jailbroken.

BezMK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Try signing out and then signing back in to the AppStore on your phone.

Thank you for the reply. I forgot to include that in my initial post - I actually already tried that and it didn't work.

I've had an app hanging on waiting for a while. No idea how to get it moving, and no clue why two of them worked after an hour but now it's back to not working.

Any ideas?

thiskid

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
iPhone 4 - Apps won't download. Stuck saying "waiting" yet i can delete them.

Recently whenever I try to update my apps they all say "waiting" and won't download at all. Then when i hold down the app it allows me to delete it the app even though it is still trying to download.
My iPhone is not jailbroken
Someone please help!!

Attachments

• photo (1).PNG
    photo (1).PNG
    491.3 KB · Views: 2,091

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Thank you for the reply. I forgot to include that in my initial post - I actually already tried that and it didn't work.

I've had an app hanging on waiting for a while. No idea how to get it moving, and no clue why two of them worked after an hour but now it's back to not working.

Any ideas?

Try a "reset all settings" (NOT an erase all) and if that doesn't work then you're going to have to restore.

BezMK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I assume it was the "reset all settings?" FYI, We've used this in the past to do essentially what a "restore: setup as new" does without actually having to a restore.

Whoops - yes, you're right. The reset all settings worked. I never even considered that option. But I will in the future. Thanks again!

ahhboi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
Try a "reset all settings" (NOT an erase all) and if that doesn't work then you're going to have to restore.

I assume it was the "reset all settings?" FYI, We've used this in the past to do essentially what a "restore: setup as new" does without actually having to a restore.
I got this problem too starting from yesterday! :mad:

Can I reset all setting on a jailbroken phone?? :(

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I got this problem too starting from yesterday! :mad:

Can I reset all setting on a jailbroken phone?? :(

Yes. I hope you understand the difference between "reset all settings" and "erase all content." Erase all content would mess up your jailbreak big time. Reset all settings does just what it says.....resets all settings; nothing to do with your jailbreak.

tommot82

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
I have this problem too an it's driving me insane.

What sorts of things will I have to go and
Reset if I reset all settings? Mail setup?

>||LionBeats||<

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

-aggie- said:

Any ideas?

Yes restore. Also it may be the AppStore. Just last week my phone would let them be stuck on waiting. Now I can download apps and they load right away.

Try a reset though, shouldn't do any harm since you're not jailbroken. :)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes restore. Also it may be the AppStore. Just last week my phone would let them be stuck on waiting. Now I can download apps and they load right away.

Try a reset though, shouldn't do any harm since you're not jailbroken. :)

Another poster who doesn't even bother to read the thread. Reset all settings fixed his issue.

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
I have the same problem with the apps stuck in waiting mode..it happened on my iPad 1 and then iPhone 4S and the problem occurred starting yesterday.. so I bet the it is the problem with the App store as it doesn't make sense to see people having the same problem in the same time period..

thizzinG

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
West Coast, Cali
Mines been stuck like this for about 30 mins now.
Not sure what's going on but I aint resetting anything.
Hooked up my iPhone to the sync cable and synced away :rolleyes:

joju58

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
New York, NY
i was trying to update ebay motors app this evening and it was on waiting for about 30+ minutes, after searching on google i got this great thread and reset all settings did the trick. Thank you so much, love this place !!!

frosty001

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Same here

Having the same problem. Maybe iCloud / AppStore is getting hammered again..I'm London based.

iTunes Match (download tracks from cloud)
iBooks (redeeming free iBook)
Apps Store (updating and buying new Apps)

All 'waiting' of just not responding. Looks like it'll need a reset. Tried signing in and signing out of every possible log-in.

UPDATE: Did the 'reset all settings' and it hasn't worked. Looks like an erase and install is the next option this evening.

UPDATE 2: After 15 mins it all kicked in and started working again automatically.

Last edited:

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
Having the same issue here. I decided to try and sign out of the app store in setting and sign back in. Well I signed out fine, but it won't let me sign back in. I hit sign in it greys out the little wheel starts spinning then nothing. Hoping its just something with the app store...

Update: did a reset all settings and still no luck. To late to do anything now here in Ohio. Everything else seems to be working fine so just give it some time I guess, and tomorrow I can just plug it in to iTunes if nothing else.

Last edited:

rorymagory

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Cambodia
Hi Everyone, I need a bit of advice. I was trying to fix the App ‘Waiting…’ issue but I fear I’ve given myself a bigger problem.

First off, my iPhone 4 is not ‘jailbroken’ or anything like that (not even sure what that means but people here tend to say if it’s jailbroken or not).

OK. The other day I tried to update all my apps at one time, and they all got stuck on ‘Waiting…’. On the iPhone, I tried switching on/off, signing in/out of the appstore, tried clicking each app etc (all advice gotten from here), nothing could get them to update (if I clicked on one of the ‘waiting’ apps, a message came up saying ‘Could not be updated at this time’).

Following advice from this forum, I updated all apps on iTunes and synced the iPhone/iTunes. Apps were still waiting. So that didn’t work.

This morning I got the IoS update to version 5 so I downloaded and installed that. Apps were still stuck on ‘Waiting’. So that didn’t work.

I found some more advice about the waiting app issue here (from –aggie-, thanks), about Reset all Settings, so I tried this this morning.

I selected language, area, wifi network, restore from iTunes backup (to my laptop iTunes). Now it says Connect to iTunes, so I’ve done that, but nothing happens. I can see the iPhone in iTunes, and the iPhone says ‘Connect to iTunes’. Nothing happens. I can switch the phone off and on, and it goes back to the same screen.

So, my iphone is stuck at this screen. Is there a way out?
- I can ‘Set Up as a New iPhone’, but will this reset everything (lose old SMS’s, contacts, etc)?
- Or would this even work? If not, I can probably do a restore from iTunes.

Any advice much appreaciated,
Thanks,
Rory

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
It's very odd, the phone will just sit there 'waiting' and then half an hour later a password prompt will pop up and everything starts downloading.

Still not really sure what reset all settings does, but I guess I'll try it tonight after a backup.

phillq23

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
I found a way to fix it but its very annoying because you have to use this method for each update.

1. You need to SSH into your phone and delete the /var/mobile/Media/Downloads folder
2. You can do this if you are jailbroken with iFile or unjailbroken with iExplorer

Delete the folder shown above, reboot, install update. Rinse and Repeat until you are done updating.

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
yeah thats a lot of work! i got mine to be able to download apps and music, just doing the reset all settings and a couple reboots and signing out and in of the app store, but the updates still not working. also i can't even delete the "waiting" apps now. the little X appears on all the other apps but the ones i am trying to update now. so annoying, and i am at work so i cant ssh into my phone and try that right now.

also i did a fresh restore on my phone with my PC when i updated to 5.1

Update: just got an update for another app, it updated fine but my other ones are still stuck on waiting...

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I did the reset all and everything seems to be working fine. Bit of a pain redoing the settings but nothing too annoying except losing the saved weather app locations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.