Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GUIZAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
I got my New IPad on Friday I Was really excited with the 4G LTE speed. Right now I just got a message saying I'm almost out of data? I don't know how this could happen I don't feel like I use that much data and I was using WiFi most of the time. I never had a problem with my iPad 2 I had 2gb and never ran out. Anybody having this issue?.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, it's called AT&T ripping you off. A friend of mine 'somehow' went through over 1GB of data hours after getting her iPhone. 'Somehow' we got charged for texting services we never signed up for. 'Somehow' they overcharged me on my home phone service and internet 10 of 12 months. I had to call to get adjustments all the time. The worst. I will never do business with them again. My wifes grandpa retired from there. Said its a totally different company these days.

jsalicru

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Austin, TX
I got my New IPad on Friday I Was really excited with the 4G LTE speed. Right now I just got a message saying I'm almost out of data? I don't know how this could happen I don't feel like I use that much data and I was using WiFi most of the time. I never had a problem with my iPad 2 I had 2gb and never ran out. Anybody having this issue?.

It can happen. I did two speed tests and let it sit while downloading apps for a minute (literally) and used 69MB

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Wow, that sucks. I guess you should make sure to turn off your celular when you are on wifi. I activated Verizon this weekend on mine, but haven't taken it out of the house yet, so I haven't used any. I guess I will watch it. Perhaps you might want to invest in something like DataUsage to monitor.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Were you streaming video?

I do some pretty data intensive tasks and the only time I ever hit the cap is when I begin streaming video.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Call them and say that you did not use that much.
This is also a reason why I got the wifi only as I tether if I have a need for cell data.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Yeah, it's called AT&T ripping you off. A friend of mine 'somehow' went through over 1GB of data hours after getting her iPhone. 'Somehow' we got charged for texting services we never signed up for. 'Somehow' they overcharged me on my home phone service and internet 10 of 12 months. I had to call to get adjustments all the time. The worst. I will never do business with them again. My wifes grandpa retired from there. Said its a totally different company these days.

People forget that this is not the old AT&T - they're gone. This is crappy Southwestern Bell with the AT&T label on itself. It's why they are so sneaky and couldn't care less about service or what a customer thinks.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

How much is "not much"? Tell us exactly what you did while on LTE (forget wifi) so we can get a basic idea. Considering you said "I don't feel I use that much data" kinda makes me think that your definition of "not much" might be a little skewed...But maybe not. Fill us in!

davidjacobs21

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I have a verizon ipad. This is the first time i got a non wifi only ipad. If i connect to my wifi at home, i assume im not using my verizon data. Do i also have to turn off cellular data? i assumed if i connect to my wifi, then thats what im using.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Make sure you really were connected to Wi-Fi. I have used about 13MB of my 1GB Verizon allocation over the same time, but I have used LTE only sparingly.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
My duaghter was going through iPhone data like crazy . . found out she was using Pandora all the time over 3G . . .

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
This is ludacris!

luda.jpg

Maybe he's using up all your data.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

I am sure the OP was streaming and other data intensive activities now that they work properly under LTE.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
What does your "Cellular Usage" in general settings say?

Are you on post paid or prepaid?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
This is ludacris! They should have a toggle for turning this LTE off!

:rolleyes:

They do have a way of turning it on and off but you got to do it.

Leaving it on cellular when you first get your device, the iPad was likely updating and downloading software and updates.

I use the cellular and you only turn it on when you need it and then you turn it right back off. iPads are very data intensive. This works grewat for send that email and even an occasion image but it is up to YOU to turn cellualr off when you are near a friendly WiFi.

Do not blame AT&T as Verizon will do the exact same thing

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

How is it AT&T's fault you used the data. Verizon would do the same thing!

Data is data and is counted the same no matter which carrier!

Most companies have changed from the time their "grandpa" used to work there. LOL!

jameschho

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2003
Pasadena, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/IMM30B) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

I have the Verizon iPad, activated the LTE on Friday, used it some and then was on wifi the rest of the time. It somehow said I had burned through almost a GB of data. I really doubt I used that much data, I think it is counting wrong. I get the sneaking suspicion that it is counting wifi data if cellular data is on even though the bits are going though wifi. I have not been able to conform though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.