Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

horizonflyer

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Chicago
My battery life on 5.1 is just as bad as the day I bought my 4s using AT&T- I've tried everything, turning on/off notifications, location services, deleting all apps running in the background, restore, everything - it's still horrible!

I've visited AT&T and the Apple store - Apple did a diagnostic and says the battery is OK.

I'm lost!

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
My battery life increased by around an hour to an hour and a half more usage time. Very happy.

I originally had a 4S with a ****** battery, lasted me 3-4 hours usage tops. With my replacement 4S and now 5.1, I'm seeing over 6 hours usage off of every charge.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Now I have the 3G toggle I've noticed a huge difference in battery life.

I can enable 3G when I'm out and about but edge is fine when in at home or at work.

I'm getting like 30% more battery life now. But wi 3G its probably the same

Why do I not have a 3G toggle? I have the option to turn off the mobile network completely but no toggle to switch from 3G to Edge. Where is this switch?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Why do I not have a 3G toggle? I have the option to turn off the mobile network completely but no toggle to switch from 3G to Edge. Where is this switch?

Not all iPhone 4S mobile networks have this option, and from what I remember, the iPhone 4 on Verizon doesn't have that option.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Settings < General < Network < 3G On/Off

photo.PNG

So clearly when I follow the instructions you gave me I come to this. No "3G" off, only "Cellular Data" on/off. So what's the deal? I am on the AT&T network. Is that the difference?

shaunhoare

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
Portsmouth, England.
My battery life has definitely improved.
I can feel the difference, the other day I fully charged it and it took over half hour of playing around with apps to drop to 99%.

I have made a "improve battery" guide because I could never find a reliable, in depth source before. Even if it helps just 5 of you i'd be happy, try it out! :)

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Just went 6h 12m of usage, 1day, 1hr of standby on my Jailbroken iP4. I couldn't get a screenshot before it died at 1%. Now to tether again and charge it fully.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Before I got to sleep last night, I had the iphone charged to 100 percent, played withit for 30 mins and it was down to 98%. After 7 hours of sleep, woke up with battery at 92%. 6% in 7 hours on standby. that means the standby time is only 116 hours but apple claims 200 hours, thats pretty much half.

FYI, bluetooth is off, I had turned gmail to manual sync, and only one of my emails has fetching on (not push, had to turn it off as it drained the battery within hours)

Im just wondering if everyone else is noticing the same? maybe my battery has a lower capacity

I'm not a battery technician so don't shoot me for not knowing the details, but the battery will drop the first five percent rather quickly and then resume normal usage drop afterwards. So I would redo that test from a 90% starting point.

dot.ducky

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Now, I'm not sure why this says it was plugged in since last charge, because I don't remember doing so... For what it's worth, here's my usage. I looked at my current numbers to compare, and it should be about the same timing once drained.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    118.9 KB · Views: 85

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
My battery life seems to have improved very slightly, but one thing i have noticed, is that within about 10 minutes from removing it from the charger in the morning, it goes down to 98% or less, but if i turn it off completely, then back on straight away, it's showing 100% again.

I've let it run as normal a few times, without restarting it and the battery seems to run down a lot quicker, than when i restart the thing.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
My battery life seems to have improved very slightly, but one thing i have noticed, is that within about 10 minutes from removing it from the charger in the morning, it goes down to 98% or less, but if i turn it off completely, then back on straight away, it's showing 100% again.

I've let it run as normal a few times, without restarting it and the battery seems to run down a lot quicker, than when i restart the thing.

I've found this too. I don't think the battery will fully deplete any quicker, it's just that the battery percentage indicator isn't very accurate and is influenced by a lot of factors

cPol

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
Lowell, MA
My wife and I have both seen noticeably decreased battery life in iOS 5.1 vs. 5.0.1 with no changes made to any settings from one to the other. Her idling phone will die overnight. Typical usage from me sees much faster battery drainage than before. I've even had instances where a phone left on a charger overnight will come straight off the charger with only 99% battery reporting.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Since the last update (The one when the ipad 3 was announced) my Battery life has gotten a lot worse. On both my iPad 2 and iphone 3GS. When I plug my ipad in at night it is now down to 20%. It use to be around 40-50%. My phone is less to but I didn’t pay a lot of attention to it so I don’t recall exactly how much. :(

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
Mine seems to have improved slightly. It definitely seems to last longer, although I've never checked exact numbers. I basically only start to worry when it doesn't last me through the whole day (which only happens when I've got bluetooth on all day)

biggy52

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Tanzania (East Africa)
Mine Seems better too on my iPhone 4s

This is how i test (Non scientific)

Before 5.1
I charge my battery 100%. Remove from charge at midnight. I don't touch the phone until i wake up at 8AM when my alarm rings. The battery would be 93% (NO USAGE)

After 5.1
I charge my battery 100%. Remove from charge at midnight. ..........The battery would be at 100% at 8AM

-----------

Before 5.1
Id go about my daily usage of approx 40 calls, 10 texts, 100+ Whatsapp messages, 10-15 emails & Flipboard for Facebook, Twitter, G-Reader. My phone would be dead by 4pm (8am - 4pm)

After 5.1
Same as above. But battery lasts till 9pm.

So I'm quite happy with the better battery life in 5.1.

Last edited:

Sandyfl

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
I never had a problem with 5.0, but horrible battery life since 5.1. My wife, colleagues and sons also have shorter life, draining quickly. Ridiculous

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
When I'm at home or work where I have a constant wifi connection, I turn mobile data off and this seems to have made the standby time improve greatly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.