Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iffy22

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
If you're looking for the SIM card, you'll need to order that online. It is not sold in stores, and the shipping would take 3-5 days.

Ordering online from outside the US does not work. I tried, and this is the response I got:

"Dear Customer:
Thank you for choosing StraightTalk Wireless, Inc for your prepaid cell phone and accessory needs.
At this time, we regret to inform you that your order, placed on 03-03-2012, was not approved since the order needs to be made within the USA.
Additionally, you may see a pre-authorization for the corresponding order amount on your bank account activity; the displayed pending transaction should be removed and the corresponding funds should be back on your account within 24 to 72 business hours, depending on your bank.

Thank you for choosing StraightTalk Wireless, Inc for your prepaid cell phone and accessory needs. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your day!

Sincerely,
M Rodriguez | Loss Prevention & Credit Card Fraud | TracFone Wireless, Inc. "

So I guess you'll have to ask one of your US friends to place the order.
What is this with data plans/iPhone plans in the US? Almost impossible as a visitor?

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
So I guess you'll have to ask one of your US friends to place the order.
What is this with data plans/iPhone plans in the US? Almost impossible as a visitor?

I've found the US to be very backwards when it comes to getting connected. I lived in Malawi for 12 years, and you could just walk into a store and get a new SIM card for $2. Getting a data plan was an easy as loading airtime and choosing a data bundle. Here in the US, it's a lot more complicated than that.

I just ordered a StraightTalk SIM to use with my jailbroken (but not unlocked) AT&T iPhone 3GS. We'll see how it works.

Iffy22

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
I've found the US to be very backwards when it comes to getting connected. I lived in Malawi for 12 years, and you could just walk into a store and get a new SIM card for $2. Getting a data plan was an easy as loading airtime and choosing a data bundle. Here in the US, it's a lot more complicated than that.

I just ordered a StraightTalk SIM to use with my jailbroken (but not unlocked) AT&T iPhone 3GS. We'll see how it works.

I abandoned the idea of getting a Straight talk SIM, ordered a Red Pocket SIM from Amazon at $1.99 instead and will activate it online. No problems at all.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I abandoned the idea of getting a Straight talk SIM, ordered a Red Pocket SIM from Amazon at $1.99 instead and will activate it online. No problems at all.

Could i order one from Amazon.com (I live in the UK) and have it delivered to the address I'll be at from next Monday in NYC?

Then presumably, i go online and add/activate the data tariff I want?

Iffy22

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Could i order one from Amazon.com (I live in the UK) and have it delivered to the address I'll be at from next Monday in NYC?

Then presumably, i go online and add/activate the data tariff I want?

Yes that should be possible. I had it delivered to a friend in the US. Bear in mind it's not a micro SIM, you'll have to cut it if you have an iPhone 4/4S

kausamortiz

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Google Voice Number

I just got my locked (att off-contract) iphone 4s on a ST plan today. I simply followed the steps from here and it worked just fine. I was surprised to see "4G" next to "Home" :) - i am near Chanpaing, IL

I am wondering if anyone knows how to get visual voicemail through youmail without jailbreak it. .. Or even use GV for a workaround?

Much appreciated.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
I got my StraightTalk SIM card today and just activated it. It works very well. I did have to hack the APN for 3G data to work. The 3G speed is pretty slow, but I'm fine with that.

I still need to figure out how to get MMS to work. Not a big deal though.

iPhone 3GS, 5.0.1, jailbroken, but not unlocked. StraightTalk unlimited monthly.

And I'm finally realising that Google Voice is pretty neat. :_)

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I got my StraightTalk SIM card today and just activated it. It works very well. I did have to hack the APN for 3G data to work. The 3G speed is pretty slow, but I'm fine with that.

I still need to figure out how to get MMS to work. Not a big deal though.

iPhone 3GS, 5.0.1, jailbroken, but not unlocked. StraightTalk unlimited monthly.

And I'm finally realising that Google Voice is pretty neat. :_)

Theres some tutorials on youtube.

My friend is getting straight talk this week, and I think I will help him set it up on his unlocked iPhone 4s.

I am assuming getting the service to work is easy, just getting the MMS to work will take a few min due to the jailbreak and all.

Eddy120876

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Bronx,NY
Well Folks I took the plunge and got the ST 45 plan in february and lets just says IM LOVING IT (TM) The service has been good and mind you I have an old Iphone 3G unlocked and jailbroken. Runs good for an old phone and no issues with the web or text. GO STRAIGHT TALK GO!!!

PS Since we don't know the limits of the net we must stick to the ATT limit of 2GB some have gone over 5GB in less then a month.

iphone4wanter

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
when i got my 4S, I gave my 4 to my mom. i set it up for her on StraightTalk. Amazing! Perfect! Nearly same speed as my AT&T, but her's is unlimited! Much better than H20 (mvno too)!!

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Theres some tutorials on youtube.

My friend is getting straight talk this week, and I think I will help him set it up on his unlocked iPhone 4s.

I am assuming getting the service to work is easy, just getting the MMS to work will take a few min due to the jailbreak and all.

I still can't get MMS to work. I'm already jailbroken, and I have TetherMe installed so I can check the MMS settings, and they match what StraightTalk recommend... I might give them a call.

Eddy120876

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Bronx,NY
I still can't get MMS to work. I'm already jailbroken, and I have TetherMe installed so I can check the MMS settings, and they match what StraightTalk recommend... I might give them a call.

what service you choose? ATT or T-mob for ATT this is what you need to have.

Cellular DAta
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

Visual Voicemail
APN acds.voicemail
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

MMS
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)
MMSC htttp://mmsc.singular.com
MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
MM UA Prof URL http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I have an iPhone 3G jailbroken and unlocked. I only jailbroke so I could unlock and use on my region carrier.

If I switch to straighttalk, can I use the stock firmware locked to AT&T , with no need to Jailbreak? Will it still activate in iTunes?

Will visual voicemail work?

Thanks to all the tipsters :)

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
what service you choose? ATT or T-mob for ATT this is what you need to have.

Cellular DAta
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

Visual Voicemail
APN acds.voicemail
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

MMS
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)
MMSC htttp://mmsc.singular.com
MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
MM UA Prof URL http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Nope, didn't work. Besides, the settings were different to what unlockit.co.nz applied.

I originally had...
APN: wap.cingular
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
Max MSG size: 1048576

I assume you meant http://mmsc.cingular.com or is it really singular.com?

----------

I have an iPhone 3G jailbroken and unlocked. I only jailbroke so I could unlock and use on my region carrier.

If I switch to straighttalk, can I use the stock firmware locked to AT&T , with no need to Jailbreak? Will it still activate in iTunes?

I don't think I can answer your question completely, but I took my new (used) 3GS, jailbroke it (mainly to install Cydia) and then used the StraightTalk SIM on a locked baseband. I didn't get the StraightTalk SIM card to activate it, as it didn't arrive in time. I used my sister's AT&T GoPhone SIM to activate the phone.

I have no idea about visual voicemail, as I've never used it before, nor am I using it now.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010

If you get the AT&T MicroSIM from StraightTalk, the AT&T locked device, unjailbroken, would work.

Visual Voicemail wouldn't work regardless.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Hey all!

My friend got his straighttalk sim last night, and set up his account (he actually ported a number)

I just wanted to let you know he has a factory unlocked iphone 4S running 5.0.1.... he did not have to jailbreak and MMS worked out of the box!

The only problem is that only imessage is working, and regular text is not working for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Hey all!

My friend got his straighttalk sim last night, and set up his account (he actually ported a number)

I just wanted to let you know he has a factory unlocked iphone 4S running 5.0.1.... he did not have to jailbreak and MMS worked out of the box!

The only problem is that only imessage is working, and regular text is not working for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!

That's not MMS, that's iMessage. Two totally different things. Jailbreak, and fix the APNs, and MMS will work.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Hey all!

Thanks!

Does visual voicemail work on the unlocked 4s?

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
That's not MMS, that's iMessage. Two totally different things. Jailbreak, and fix the APNs, and MMS will work.

MMS Does work, but SMS does not. Unless you are trying to tell me that the MMS is only working as part of iMessage, which is why photos are coming through?

Tonight I will test sending MMS to a non-iphone, and also call up ST and see why SMS is not working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.