Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exe163

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
I have some trouble with my mail app recently. For some reason, it won't search for keywords now. Every time I do a search, I get no result. However, if I choose from a drop down menu for the people, I do get results.

Anyone knows how I can fix this?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mail.app uses a SQLite database to store a bunch of data about messages it deals with. This database can become either corrupted or polluted with stale entries. Either way, you can use this tip to clean things up.

kayrjay

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Apple REMOVED Mail Search by Content

Just got off the phone with Apple Support. As usual, they are very helpful. However, I was disappointed to learn that Apple silently removed the ability to search mail by content in the latest update to OSX.

I have OSX Lion 10.7.2, and when I type anything into the search field in Mac Mail (or, interestingly, on http://www.me.com), there are options to search only by subject or sender or recipient, not by message content as there used to be.

According to Emily at Apple Support, Apple intentionally removed the search by content feature because "it wasn't working right". They are or MAY be working to add it back in to the next update. No commitments.

Sadly, there was no mention of this DOWNGRADE at the time I installed 10.7.2. And, the knowledge base article here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1458 makes no mention of Mail changes either.

Sad. :( Confused. :confused: And a little bit angry. :mad: Apple :apple: can and should do better.

WMC303

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
Any search I do in Lion's Mac Mail doesn't produce results.
This feature that I rely upon daily isn't usable.
Hey Apple... WTF???
Are you going to fix this or not?????

Just got off the phone with Apple Support. As usual, they are very helpful. However, I was disappointed to learn that Apple silently removed the ability to search mail by content in the latest update to OSX.

I have OSX Lion 10.7.2, and when I type anything into the search field in Mac Mail (or, interestingly, on http://www.me.com), there are options to search only by subject or sender or recipient, not by message content as there used to be.

According to Emily at Apple Support, Apple intentionally removed the search by content feature because "it wasn't working right". They are or MAY be working to add it back in to the next update. No commitments.

Sadly, there was no mention of this DOWNGRADE at the time I installed 10.7.2. And, the knowledge base article here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1458 makes no mention of Mail changes either.

Sad. :( Confused. :confused: And a little bit angry. :mad: Apple :apple: can and should do better.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
I am running Mac OS X 10.7.3 and Mail.app 5.2 (1257) which I believe are the latest releases. I can search emails just fine from within the Mail.app or by using Spotlight.

S-

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Let me say I sympathize with those frustrated with Apple mail client search. I prefer the speed and usability of Apple mail client search on both my MacBook and iPad but do find the search functionality lacking.

It may be that I have both mail clients pointing to my Gmail via IMAP but that doesn't excuse how poorly it functions.

I will frequently do a search in an apple mail client and come up with no results fully knowing a phrase or subject line or sender is in my Gmail and will often resort to having to load up a web browser and going to the web interface of Gmail where it, of course, instantly pops up.

This is a little off-topic but I have heard good things about the Sparrow mail client. I have no idea how well its search functionality is but hopefully just having a decent competitor out there will potentially get Apple to make larger improvements to its first party email clients. I know it's available for OS X and I believe there is or will shortly be even an iPad version.

JohnLP

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2012
Has anyone tried installing the previous version of Mail onto Lion, in order to be able to search Mail content, or does Lion not support the previous version of Mail? I am also getting slammed by this problem - I have accounts with email that doesn't stay long on the server, so can't go there to search for content as I could with a gmail account.

:(:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.