Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

snow_leopard_box.jpg

Apple today released Apple Software Installer Update 1.0, a small update intended to address an issue that could prevent Apple software from installing under Mac OS X 10.6.8.
About Apple Software Installer Update 1.0

This update addresses an issue that may prevent certain Apple software from installing. This update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X 10.6.8.
Apple does not, however, specify exactly what the issue is or what Apple software is affected by it. The release weighs in at 1.34 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Article Link: Apple Releases Software Installer Update 1.0 for Mac OS X 10.6.8

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
iCloud support next on SL please.

Kthx apple. Not everyone has lion nor wants it.
Highly unlikely.

Apple does not typically add new functionality to previous operating systems. They only actively develop for the latest and greatest operating system, whether it be OS X or iOS. This is typical behavior for Apple.

Snow Leopard is in maintenance mode, eligible for showstopping support issues and critical security upgrades. Note that OS X 10.5 Leopard has been deprecated, no updates whatsoever these days.

If you are unwilling to upgrade to Lion, well, you are in Apple's rear view mirror. Adios.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 4th generation: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So it's an installer for an installer. Neat-o.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Snow Leopard is great, its far better optimized than Lion and thus runs much smoother. That and the fact that Expose is there that works the way it should.

I don't use iCloud, so a 10.6.9 update isn't a priority for me unless it brings even greater optimization. But for all those who do use iCloud, Apple really needs to pull its head out of its a$$ and give its customers some support.

JackRoch

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
'weighed in' at 365Kb for me; requires a restart.

Thanks from me too for continued SL support.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Let us hope this contains LZMA & LZMA2 support for 30 percent smaller .pkg files (better compression, faster download). Apples XAR .pkg-file format supports these compression algorithms.

;-)

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Highly unlikely.

Apple does not typically add new functionality to previous operating systems. They only actively develop for the latest and greatest operating system, whether it be OS X or iOS. This is typical behavior for Apple.

Snow Leopard is in maintenance mode, eligible for showstopping support issues and critical security upgrades. Note that OS X 10.5 Leopard has been deprecated, no updates whatsoever these days.

If you are unwilling to upgrade to Lion, well, you are in Apple's rear view mirror. Adios.

While this has been typically true, apple hasn't had more than half of their user base refusing to upgrade to an OS they have released before either. I can see them offering a small update to snow leopard to allow contacts and calendars to continue working in Snow Leopard. I would like that.

I could care less about the rest of it... iCloud documents? please... Dropbox works just fine.. I don't need updated apps, and I can use one file with more than one program. I can also use it on any OS.

So if this isn't for some update for partial iCloud support, what apple software do you think they are preparing Snow Leopard for?

Last edited:

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
iCloud is not new...

Highly unlikely.

iCloud is not 'new' functionality, it is a replacement for MobileMe which is currently part of SL. If Apple thinks that can force upgrades like this then they are very wrong, this is what keeps people on Windows XP (30%) versus Mac (9.1%)

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 4th generation: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So it's an installer for an installer. Neat-o.

Installer-ception :D:D:D

EDIT: For those of you that did not get the reference watch "Inception":p

Last edited:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
iTunes most definitely is not part of the operating system. It's a separate application, hence my statement remains correct.

I don't really know what new functionality Safari has acquired in Snow Leopard recently. As far as I can tell, it was just a minor JavaScript performance bump, not new functionality.

iCloud is not 'new' functionality, it is a replacement for MobileMe which is currently part of SL. If Apple thinks that can force upgrades like this then they are very wrong, this is what keeps people on Windows XP (30%) versus Mac (9.1%)
Certain features of iCloud are new (e.g., iOS device backup). Some others (e.g., Address Book and Calendar syncing) duplicate those previously offered in MobileMe (yes, I had a subscription at one point). The iCloud Photo Stream feature is also new.

Several MobileMe services have been deprecated (the photo album, iWeb).

Last edited:

ehmyerson

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
Los Angeles
Safari update installation failure in Lion...

I'm dealing with Apple where my MBPro 10.7.3 won't complete the Safari update... Engineers asked for me to run Capture Data to get a peek at what's going on and Capture Data fails. We're doing this since last Friday, 3/16/12. Today we ran Terminal for a different peek... tomorrow they'll probably just tell me to reinstall Lion and the heck with it... Maybe they'll give me a Lion Installer Update to try... Don't give up guys... Stay tuned.

KoolKid

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Uppsala
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is it possible to downgrade Lion to SL?
I am thinking of doing a clean SL install and then restore my things from Time machine. Or is there a better way of doing it?

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
It didn't show up when I ran Software Update. The latest Safari and iTunes didn't either. :confused:
My MBP is running OS X 10.6.8.

ehmyerson

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
Los Angeles
This Software update glitch with Safari...

Kool Kid, I don't know if it's possible to downgrade to SL by any means other than a complete reinstallation of SL and a Time Machine migration of your files, docs and apps back to the 10.6 environment. I wonder what backtracking you'd have to do with your other apps which have probably upgraded to Lion?

This Safari upgrade may be dedicated to Lion, Elbert C.
But, I don't know.

Hairball

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Near an Apple device
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B179)

I don't know why there are so many Lion haters, I have not had any issues. Is it about the software or not wanting to spend the $$$$?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Wow, a lot of people here dislike Lion. Let's hope Mountain Lion is polished, smooth and takes up less drive space, like Snow Leopard was for Leopard.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B179)

I don't know why there are so many Lion haters, I have not had any issues. Is it about the software or not wanting to spend the $$$$?

1) Mission Control sucks at content management.
- You can only see one Space at a time
- Windows overlap and Spacebar hide-n-seek is stupid
- Can't drag Windows around very easily

2) iCal looks like ass
- removed mini-calendar
- pop-up Calendar's obscure content
- very difficult to change the time of events if they overlap

3) Address book sucks
- can only see two columns of information at a time
- looks like ass. Why does my digital address book, which could look like anything and should only be limited by the designer's imagination, be crippled just so that is looks like my grandfather's address book?

Lion added a lot of new nice new features, but the crippled Content Management scheme that is Mission Control makes Lion too much work to bother using unless I have to. I might as well be running Windows for how much Mission Control frustrates me.

I hate using Mission Control, I hate using iCal, and I hate using Address Book. The four Apple programs I use on a daily basis: Expose/Spaces, Mail, iCal, and Address book. Of those four programs, only Mail has improved my workflow in Lion, all the rest are harder to use.

Until ReSpaceApp comes out and has Expose capabilities, I'm sticking with Snow Leopard. I can just move my calendars and address book to google if necessary. Heck, at least google is steady, Apple has changed and broken their Syncing service three times now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.