Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Hello all. I recently came into owning a G3 400MHz powermac B&W with a 16MB Rage 128 graphics card. It has worked well for about 2 days and we had a storm coming in so I unplugged it before the storm was even close. Then tonight after I plugged the computer back in (and the monitor to the VGA haha) the monitor will start to post something when I turn on the mac but then it goes black. I think the computer boots to Mac OS 10.3 but nothing will display on the monitor. Has anyone else had this problem. Please let me know. Thanks!

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
You could try re-seating the graphics card, Reset the PRam, open it up, and find the button on the Logic board next to the Power On/off button and hit it... Try again...

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
stevey500 said:
You could try re-seating the graphics card, Reset the PRam, open it up, and find the button on the Logic board next to the Power On/off button and hit it... Try again...

Hm, I tired hitting that button and it restarts the computer. Could someone please instruct me on the keyboard commands to reset things like PRam and stuff. I know there were commands I used when I had the hack installed on my iBook for screen spanning that could be used to reset the system defaults. Thanks!

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
The macrumors members pulled through again :) The PRAM reset did the trick. Thanks again all. While I am at it, the computer gives of a very high pitch sound for awhile after it is first turned on. Does anyone know what hardware device could be eminating this sound? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.