Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_3_hand1.jpg

Apple issued a statement regarding the heat complaints about the new iPad. As reported by The Loop:
"The new iPad delivers a stunning Retina display, A5X chip, support for 4G LTE plus 10 hours of battery life, all while operating well within our thermal specifications," Apple representative Trudy Muller, told The Loop. "If customers have any concerns they should contact AppleCare."
As we previously reported, the complaints about warmth or heat seem to vary from customer to customer and may be dependent on the mix of apps that are being used.

Article Link: Apple Responds to Heat Complaints on New iPad

siritalks

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
There's a laughable over reaction to all of this. It's just a tiny bit of heat. I've used my iPad now for 4 or 5 hours straight. I played Fifa, Real Racer HD, mucked around with Garage Band, and there was a slight increase in temperature, but certainly not anything "too hot". Just mildly warm.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!

ApplLover

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Panama
Charge

I noticed last night while using my new iPad that if it is plugged in and being "actively used, i.e. restoring from icloud, or gaming" it still loses power.

I was using the apple charger that came with it. Odd.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Mine only gets warm but not to the point where it's unbearable. What is weird is that it'll get warm pretty quickly but the longer I use it, the cooler it gets? Whatev, not an issue for me.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
The heat really isn't that bad.

I'm surprised it's that big of a deal. All last gen dualcore phones - iPhone 4S, Galaxy S2, SnapDragon phones, etc generated considerable amount of heat compared to the predecessors yet nobody really cared. Galaxy S2 especially had some notable criticism for its high heat but nobody seemed to care outside Korea and even in Korea it didn't stop that phone becoming a best seller.

Lordskelic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
Texas
There's a laughable over reaction to all of this. It's just a tiny bit of heat. I've used my iPad now for 4 or 5 hours straight. I played Fifa, Real Racer HD, mucked around with Garage Band, and there was a slight increase in temperature, but certainly not anything "too hot". Just mildly warm.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!

Like antennagate?

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B176)

Jesus. It gets a little warm. It's not hot.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
While the temperature difference isn't much, it unfortunately crosses the only threshold that matters, and that is the temp of the iPad relative to the skin's surface temp. What this means is that the old iPads feel cool to the touch, but the new one feels warm. Regardless of the actual degress, that's a big difference, and for me and some others, a big deal.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
I can't say I'm surprised that it gets hotter than the iPad 2, it's got double the size battery as the iPad 2 so more power = more heat! At least it should be as bad as my Optimus Slider when it doesn't have service and becomes a pocket warmer...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.