Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunesproducer.jpg

Several readers have noticed the appearance of 'iTunes Producer 2.6' in their OS X Software Update. iTunes Producer is Apple's submission tool for music (and books) to the Apple iTunes Store.
iTunes Producer: This free software application allows you to prepare your music for direct delivery to iTunes. Use it to encode your music in AAC format; enter album, song, and cover art information; and send your prepared files directly to Apple for consideration.
The appearance has generated some confusion amongst users who are unfamiliar with the software, suggesting it may have been inadvertently pushed to unintended users via Apple's OS X Software Update mechanism.

iTunes Producer is also the publishing software for iBooks Author books, so the update may be detecting users who have simply installed iBooks Author as well. When publishing books from iBooks Author, users are required to register for an iTunes Connect account in order to download the iTunes Producer software.

Article Link: 'iTunes Producer 2.6' Appears in OS X Software Update

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
I have installed this via Software Update, but it comes back again when SU is re-run. Installed it 3 times so far, but SU still finds it and wants to install it again. Close SU, then re-open it to check again.

QUOTE:
iTunes Producer is also the publishing software for iBooks Author books, so the update may be detecting users who have simply installed iBooks Author as well.

Why, in that case, is it pushed via SU rather than the App Store as iBooks Author is?

Also, I've got this update on a Mac that is not running iBooks Author.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
iTunes Producer is also the publishing software for iBooks Author books, so the update may be detecting users who have simply installed iBooks Author as well.

I do not have iBooks Author installed but I still get iTunes Producer showing up in my software update, so I don't think the above is true - at least in my case.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I do not have iBooks Author installed but I still get iTunes Producer showing up in my software update, so I don't think the above is true - at least in my case.

Same for me. In fact, I'm running 10.6.8, so I can't even install iBooks Author, which is Lion-only. But iTunes Producer 2.6 is showing up for me in software update.

Movura

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
By the looks of it, it's also the new Application Loader. This is what I see when I log in with my account...

screen.png

I'm guessing that they're rolling everything into the one package.

I'd also suggest that this isn't meant for public consumption just yet.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
It shows up on my parents 27" iMac and Safari 5.1.4 showed up twice( I haven't installed in on the iMac as it broke a few things on my MBP).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 12.08.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 12.08.13 PM.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 157

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
It is most certainly a big balls-up from Apple. If it was seeded to devs only or people with connect accounts or whatever i'd understand, but as far as Apple are concerned I'm just a regular consumer and what have no use for such an app. My advice to the average user? Don't install.

jianglai

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
New York
Installed it and SU still wants me to install it again. Should be a bug on Apple's server. Now the question is how do I uninstall this thing?

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Installed it and SU still wants me to install it again. Should be a bug on Apple's server. Now the question is how do I uninstall this thing?

Shouldn't have installed it in the first place. Only way to uninstall if it's not located in your Applications folder would likely be to restore from a backup.

Sounds like the update centre is having issues atm so my advice would be to not install updates at all until the issue is resolved.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Shouldn't have installed it in the first place. Only way to uninstall if it's not located in your Applications folder would likely be to restore from a backup.

Sounds like the update centre is having issues atm so my advice would be to not install updates at all until the issue is resolved.

For me, iTunes Producer is installed in the Applications folder but SU still wants to keep on reinstalling it ad infinitum.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Showing up for me. I have Xcode installed but not iBooks Author.

This would never happen in Steve's day /jk

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I was all ready to jump on here and ask, or submit something to Arn via Messages, but of course the folks on here were quicker than myself. :p I always appreciate how on-the-ball the team is.

Anyhow, I installed it after reading about it here. I have a book going in iBooks Author that, when finished, I'd like submitted, obviously. Any tool that makes this easier is a welcome addition. It installed just fine, yet Software Update does try to look for and install it again, as some here have mentioned. Also to note, it really doesn't look like it was ready for primetime, but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I can't see any negative impact if you submit content to any of the App Stores. The only downside as far as I can tell is for users who are trying to save precious space on a MacBook Air or a smaller SSD. It's not a huge program by any means, so it doesn't bother me.

My only question regarding it is why such a Utility (not a full-featured program, really) would go into the general Applications folder and not in Applications -> Utilities, much like QuickTime 7 that got pushed there when the new version came out.

I have one thought too; I really feel like I've seen that orange ball in the icon somewhere before. I can't put my finger on it.

-----

ghwis.wordpress.com (which I've never heard of; Google-searched it) wrote a long article with tons of screenshots, info, and a walkthrough back in 2007.

Looks like iTunes Producer has been around a while; I at least found version 1.6 built in to iTunes. Perhaps this new version just divides this out of iTunes and makes Producer its own application; ready to suit any Apple Store; whether it be iOS Apps, iTunes, Mac Apps, iBooks, etc.

Last edited:

Graig

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
About one hour ago it showed up in Software Update, I did not install it, now when checking again it DOES NOT SHOW UP in Software Update.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
do people think that iTunes, Software Update and the Mac App Store will ever be the same app? Aren't Software Update + The Mac App Store getting combined in mountain lion?

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
New to Macs

Idiot post. It I did instal it and realized it was. It an iTunes update then I looked in Applications folder and dragged said app to trash. Will that wipe out the app completely ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.