Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Just curious if anyone can tell me the difference for a front screen protector for the new iPad. I have a Power Support iPad screen protector from when I purchased my original iPad. To me the main difference looks like that I would need to use a hole punch and add a hole for the front facing camera. Otherwise it looks like a pretty good fit although extremely tight to the edges.

Can anyone tell me if the original iPad had the same size screen?

Thanks,
Sheila

AceCoolie

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I had a Power support screen protector for the original iPad on my iPad 2 (I ordered from Amazon and they sent me the wrong one). Rather than return it, I modified it for my iPad 2. It fit pretty good but I had to punch a hole for the camera.

The problem was that even though I put several layers of paper on both sides of the protector before using a hole punch to make sure I got a clean hole, the protector was slightly bent and would never stay flat around the camera after install.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I am using the one that came with my Incipio Smart Feather..... not bad IMO

I used this one, but I did notice a reduction in clarity and from certain angles you can see a rainbow effect.

For my phones, I have always gone with Power Support or SGP.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Score!

I was able to take my original iPad Power Support crystal clear screen protector, cut the hole for the front facing camera with a hole punch and I'm good to go. I didn't have a problem with the hole punch putting a bend in the protector or causing it not lay flat as another had mentioned. The punched hole I made was just a hair off and I mean a thin hair off but not enough that anyone other than me would notice.

I really love the PS screen protectors as they are really easy to apply as long as you have a little bit of patience. I always use the steamy bathroom trick and usually can get a really great application.

Now if I can just get my STM Skinny, I'll be totally all set. I purchased the cream colored leather smart cover when I bought my iPad on Sunday but I really hate it. Got all finger printed and full of smudges before I even got home. Sounds like the black one would have been a better choice or should have gone caseless until the Skinny comes in.

Last edited:

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
I have a Wrapsol screen protector on my iPhone 4S and I love it and have recommended it to friends. It was easy to put on and within 24 hours all bubbles disappeared (as they advertise). It also reduces the visibility fingerprints on my screen which I like (I got the normal screen protector, didn't get matte or reflective BTW).

They have a protector for iPad's which I will be getting next week if only to reduce the visibility of fingerprints :)

P.S. this company has a video of them dropping a naked iPhone with their protector from six feet a couple of times onto concrete, it's tuff stuff.

csguwer

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Clearly, films for iPad 1 is not working with the new iPad.
But the protectors for iPad 2 will definitely work for new iPad.
I am using iBattz mojo shield for iPad 2 to fit on my new ipad.
It requires zero hassle to have a 100% no bubble application, total it takes me no more than 30seconds to complete, and the result is phenomenal.

applefreakdance

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I had no problem using iPad 2 screen protector for my wife's new iPad.
So i guess both iPad 2 and The new iPad have same size screen.
I tried Glossy screen protector which worked perfectly with the new iPad, and i was able to keep the Retina display.
Matte type screen protectors already reduce original screen quality, and i don't think it will work properly with retina display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.