Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
i was wondering if its worth spending the extra $ and getting the 64 gb iPad wi-fi (lol it seems like if i do might as well get the 4g lte version but i also have an iPhone)

i want to fit a lot of hd 1080p movies, and i assume one of those movies would be like 5-8 gigs?

and use my 64 gb iPhone for most of the good graphics game apps, other apps, jailbreak tweaks and widgets, and music.

u think it'll be worth it? and would it be harder to sell? because i can see more people wanting to spend just 250-300 for a used 16 gb wi-fi iPad rather than spend around 500-600 for a 64gb wifi iPad, because i plan to try sell my old one and get the new one at every release.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Addressed so many times over, so excuse the "ugh" tone here.

Your mileage may vary, y'know? If you're even asking, then you're likely on the right track. You'll want a larger capacity. No one here can make the decision for you. It's not as simple as, "I have a toothache, should I see a dentist?"

There's too much personal opinion and your own usage to weigh into it.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Personally, I wouldn't consider any iPad other than the 64GB at this point.

Next year, the high end model might be 128GB, making the current 64GB model the mid range and a 32GB the low end.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted

I'm using 15gb just with a few apps. No other media on my iPad yet. Glad I got the 64.

eric1971

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
You'll never say, man I have to much storage on my iPad! Get the biggest you can comfortably afford.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
if you can afford it, of course. my wife has the 16 gb but she uses it ONLY for reading, web browsing, and email. oh, and angry birds.

I have the 64 Gb because I travel a lot for work and like to carry a good selection of movies and music. And have room over for downloading what I want when I want without having to worry about what to delete.

And don't forget resell value. I had no problem selling my iPad 2 64 Gb for a premium over the lower cost models.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I pre-ordered a 32GB WiFi and ended up switching it out for a 64GB WiFi +4G. My sister had me rethinking just getting the wifi and I figured while I'm at it, I might as well future proof my purchase a bit. Now I don't even have to think about space.

I may never use it all, but now I don't have to second guess any part of my purchase. I also had the means in which to do it so it made sense for me.

pdawg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Charlotte, NC
If you don't want to worry about running out of space and having to ration out the apps, get the 64 G. I personally like to have everything possible on it: pix, music, movies so I don't need to carry anything else but a phone or two.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I always get the most memory I can get but with that said I got a new laptop for work yesterday and they gave me the new Dell XPS13 Ultrabook and it's got 128gb solid state hard drive in it and I have all my work applications on it and still have 66gb left and that's after windows uses up 25gb of the storage. So then I looked at my Iphone which is a 64gb and I am only using 9gb on there and on the Ipad which is 64gb I am using 22gb. So I will most likely never use the whole amount but you never know.

AppChat

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
I pre-ordered a 32GB WiFi and ended up switching it out for a 64GB WiFi +4G. My sister had me rethinking just getting the wifi and I figured while I'm at it, I might as well future proof my purchase a bit. Now I don't even have to think about space.

I may never use it all, but now I don't have to second guess any part of my purchase. I also had the means in which to do it so it made sense for me.

Will you use 4g?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
If want to squeeze 5-6gb movies on it then you will probably want to go with 32 or 64. If you'll have an internet connection when you will probably watch most of these movies i'd recommend plex. I've got a few tb of movies and tv shows that i can access as long as i have an internet connection. I will only put a movie or two on if I'm traveling and know i won't have internet.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Will you use 4g?

I don't think I will use it a lot. But now that I have it in hand I can see using it on a limited basis. The iPad is so nice, I've been bringing to work and our wifi is horrible. But I will most likely use it when traveling.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
i was wondering if its worth spending the extra $ and getting the 64 gb iPad wi-fi (lol it seems like if i do might as well get the 4g lte version but i also have an iPhone)

i want to fit a lot of hd 1080p movies, and i assume one of those movies would be like 5-8 gigs?

and use my 64 gb iPhone for most of the good graphics game apps, other apps, jailbreak tweaks and widgets, and music.

u think it'll be worth it? and would it be harder to sell? because i can see more people wanting to spend just 250-300 for a used 16 gb wi-fi iPad rather than spend around 500-600 for a 64gb wifi iPad, because i plan to try sell my old one and get the new one at every release.

The best resale value goes to 16GB. I went 32GB and I should be fine untill next year when I upgrade to the 64GB. If you want to Jam HD Movies go with the 64GB or better yet get the Seagate Goflex Satlellite 500Gb Wifi dirve. They just upgraded it to 7 hours on a charge.

MVPinFLA

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Boynton Beach, FL
It costs $100 to double the storage from 16 to 32. It costs $100 more to double that again. So if you are willing to pay $100 for the additional 16, the additional 32 for $100 is a good deal in my opinion. I was sick of deleting stuff with my 32, so 64 was a no-brainer for me.

AppChat

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
It costs $100 to double the storage from 16 to 32. It costs $100 more to double that again. So if you are willing to pay $100 for the additional 16, the additional 32 for $100 is a good deal in my opinion. I was sick of deleting stuff with my 32, so 64 was a no-brainer for me.

Did u get 4g too?

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
thanks for all the replies, i mean I'm just wondering how useful the extra memory it is for other people. i mean no doubt i want a 64 gb iPad, but just don't want to have a feeling of regret after i spend all that money.

i don't think ill be getting the 4g version, i think wifi will do good enough, and if not ill just use my iPhone.

I'm selling my old iPad2 to a friend for 250 (prob could of sold it for more on craigslist but the friend wanted it), so initially if i get the 64 ill be basically paying for the full price of a new iPad 16b wifi.

lol i don't know, its either get the 64 gb or add those extra hundreds for my first new car (dodge challenger) downpayment that I'm saving up for.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
thanks for all the replies, i mean I'm just wondering how useful the extra memory it is for other people. i mean no doubt i want a 64 gb iPad, but just don't want to have a feeling of regret after i spend all that money.

i don't think ill be getting the 4g version, i think wifi will do good enough, and if not ill just use my iPhone.

I'm selling my old iPad2 to a friend for 250 (prob could of sold it for more on craigslist but the friend wanted it), so initially if i get the 64 ill be basically paying for the full price of a new iPad 16b wifi.

lol i don't know, its either get the 64 gb or add those extra hundreds for my first new car (dodge challenger) downpayment that I'm saving up for.

Ah, new information. Honestly, that car will be far more useful than an iPad ever would. :)

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

If you're putting pictures on it you will. iTunes resizes your photo library for the screen resolution on the iPad 3 and it almost doubles in size compared to my 2.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Yes, it is worth it. More books, videos, music, and apps. I use my iPad for work and am over 50 GB now.

mikepas

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2010
Raleigh, NC
The past few days have had news stories about the new iPad over heating and today the news stories started up about how it's now eating up data plans due to streaming video.

The one thing that will never change about Apple iOS devices is that you will never be able to add more storage space after you buy it, short of a third party solution such as wi-fi enabled hard drives. If you think you'll want to watch 1080 videos on your iPad then get a 64GB model. If you get a smaller one and plan to stream your videos over LTE then you're going to end up spending more money in the long run paying for the data than you would if you just got the larger capacity one now and pre-loaded your videos on there.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

It's not useful at all. Don't waste your $100 on another 32GB of storage space. It's useless all you can do is store more apps, music, videos, movies etc....
Complete waste of $$ and it will be very hard to sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.