Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
With the new ipad battery draining faster and taking longer to charger, I'd like to be able to charge it will I'm using it at home. However, I need extra long cord so i can comfortably use the ipad in bed or on the couch.

My third party 10ft cord came in the mail but it doesn't work. I dont see a 10ft cord on the apple accessory site.

Do I just have to buy the apple one or maybe I could just buy extension cord??

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

You can also take off the prong from your iPad and put a cord in there. It's much better than having the charger plugged into an extension cord since you don't have to worry about the cord coming off. I had a cord left over from a Macbook charger but not sure how much it'll cost to buy that separately.

So take that bit off like the image here:
1277044348640_hz-cnmyalibaba-web2_28213.jpg

And plug this cord into the iPad charger
21E0oiW-VFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

to make the charger look like this
sc012.jpg

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I just bought an extra charger at the Apple Store and it came with one of those extra long cables you swap for the little prongs in the charger itself.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
With the new ipad battery draining faster and taking longer to charger, I'd like to be able to charge it will I'm using it at home. However, I need extra long cord so i can comfortably use the ipad in bed or on the couch.

My third party 10ft cord came in the mail but it doesn't work. I dont see a 10ft cord on the apple accessory site.

Just buy an extension cord; it won't say apple on it but it works just fine.

DeuxIt

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
http://www.monoprice.com

i have their 12 foot cable. it is much heavier gauge wire to make up for the resistance caused by the length. that's why most extra-long iphone cables don't work with ipad. the cable is a bit unyielding in it's stiffness and its connector is of poor'ish quality (nothing a little superglue couldn't fix). but they are cheap. works on ipad 1, haven't tried with a 3 yet.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
You can also take off the prong from your iPad and put a cord in there. It's much better than having the charger plugged into an extension cord since you don't have to worry about the cord coming off. I had a cord left over from a Macbook charger but not sure how much it'll cost to buy that separately.

sc012.jpg

Thanks for posting photos!

----------

I just bought an extra charger at the Apple Store and it came with one of those extra long cables you swap for the little prongs in the charger itself.

cool, how long do you think the cable was??

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Finally, someone with some sense. It's just an extension cord, that's all you need. They are sold EVERYWHERE. You don't need anything special. Just use the charger that came with the iPad and get a extension cord. Why waste time and money.

I've tried both and having the integrated cord is much better and it actually costs less. Only $7.50, albeit slow shipping.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Jeeze people. Any two prong "shaver" cord will do the job. Pop off the prong module and put the extension on. Been doing this for years with cords from an old Toshiba power supply.

Much better than the three-prong Apple extension cord.
No futzing with amperage drop from some overlong third party data/power cable.

sunsluv

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Arizona
Thank you!!! Great suggestion!

Thank you!!! Great suggestion! :D

sc012.jpg

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
USE AN EXTENSION CORD! Do NOT use a longer USB cord. Use the original cord with the OEM charger plugged into a extension cord.

That is all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.