Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harpal999

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
So my family share a Mac and we each have our own iTunes account. I've been going through my purchased movies as I want to download the 1080p versions. However when I try to re-download my past purchase it says I need to wait 90 days because (i think) my brother has already used this feature to re-download his stuff so his account is now 'associated' with my Mac.

Is there any way I can get my previously purchased items without this crazy 90 day wait?

Thanks

turbotoes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
France
Are you sure you are logged in to your iTunes account? , because the only 90 day limit I know of, is the one where you associate your device with an iTunes account for automatic downloading of apps. Then you can't associate that device with another iTunes account for 90 days
I'm sure there is no limit on plain old downloading you apps

harpal999

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
yeah - it's definitely for apps and past purchases i get that message... 57 days i have to wait :/

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
So my family share a Mac and we each have our own iTunes account. I've been going through my purchased movies as I want to download the 1080p versions. However when I try to re-download my past purchase it says I need to wait 90 days because (i think) my brother has already used this feature to re-download his stuff so his account is now 'associated' with my Mac.

Is there any way I can get my previously purchased items without this crazy 90 day wait?

Thanks

When you change the iTunes account associated to a Mac, there is a 90-day waiting period before you can change the associated account again. You've already stated that his account is associated with iTunes on your machine, so that's why you cannot download your purchased items. It has nothing to do with the downloading feature itself.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I'm almost positive this applies for music only but then again, I never did try to download apps. My friend and I share our music. We built my iTunes collection together, so when I got iTunes match she of course needed to have access. So when she signed out of the "store" and tried to sign in with my apple ID, it said that her Apple ID was already associated with another device (her iPhone) and had to wait for 90 days to re-associate.

So, I tried everything I could to get around this because she should get access to my music and enabling iTunes match already deleted her music. I logged into her account and saw her device and saw that there was 90 days remaining. I tried to "remove" it so that I can associate it with mine. I was able to remove it, but I tried to log in again with my Apple ID in her iPhone and still said the same thing. The device "re-attached" itself. So, the remove option doesn't work if there is a X days remaining. Seems like Apple was doing to appease some record labels or something. That's what I read online.

Anyway, she had to wait 90 days. Re-download iTunes music and re-sync. Then on the 91st day, it finally worked. Now, her Apple ID is on my account with a X days remaining.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009

Thanks

Wait, so if you redownload movie from iCloud, they come for a free upgrade to 1080p now, even if you just have the standard version, i didnt think that was possible. :confused: Thought it just dl'd the same SD copy you own...

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
You can view your account in iTunes on your Mac.

If you scroll down and see your information, you can see devices and the device names that are associated with your accounts. I seem to recall that it even shows the number of days that it has been associated with the account. From here you can disassociate from that account, so a new account can be logged into on the device.

I just discovered this recently, I hope this helps!

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I've never been able to re-download movies, only music and apps. None of my previously purchased movies (They were purchased pre-iCloud) are available.

Now, every app I have downloaded on iOS for iPad or iPhone, and all of my Mac App store purchases are available for re-download unlimited times. I also see my iTunes music purchases are all available for re-download as well.

Just not movies.

Any help would be appreciated...So is the movie re-download thing only something Apple started since initiating iCloud?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
The problem is using more than one account on a certain device. Your device gets associated with an Apple ID. If you login with a different Apple ID you can't download past purchases unless you associate your device with that 2nd Apple ID, and you can only change that once every 90 days.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
The problem is using more than one account on a certain device. Your device gets associated with an Apple ID. If you login with a different Apple ID you can't download past purchases unless you associate your device with that 2nd Apple ID, and you can only change that once every 90 days.

how about if I buy an iphone (used) but it's was already associated with another count (previous owner ). but after wiping all the data, still showing remaining days. any ideas or need to DFU and restore buy downloading IOS, in this way this association will be restarted in the server?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.