Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
So many people on this forum are taking pleasure in what will eventually amount to a lot of job losses :(

I was nearly laid off from my job last year, and if that had happened, I knew I would be most likely going to RIM or QNX. Many of my colleagues did, and I knew they were hiring like mad and working like crazy to get their stuff out the door. Many of my friends are working hard on projects they can't tell me about, but obviously PlayBook OS 2.0 and QNX-on-Blackberry were on that list.

RIM took too long, and Apple overtook them by surprise, yes. The sudden negative media coverage sure didn't help. And naturally people on the Apple forum look down on anything that's not Apple.

The problem is that good software takes a lot of time, and many people don't realize that. They see company A release a product and company B releases the same thing two months later and everyone says "B saw A's announcement and copied it!" without realizing how absurd that timeline sounds, how many months ago both companies must have been designing, developing, testing. The corollary is that people assume RIM is sitting on their hands watching iOS take over, when they're probably madly developing and testing.

I bet RIM has some real solid stuff in the works... let's just hope it gets released soon enough to turn things around.

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
I hope the time will not come when Apple will lose its top spot to Samsung just because Apple will stick to its 3.5'' standard screen size.

So Apple, please release a bigger iPhone screen soon. Gone are the days when smartphones' screen standard is 3.5"' :)

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Oh how quickly we forget... To all the people saying that RIM is doomed, Apple was much MUCH closer to doom back in 1997 than RIM is today. RIM is still highly profitable, but yes, they've obviously lost marketshare.

Though I was never interested in any of their products, it was nice having a successful Canadian company that wasn't bought out by a larger American company, at least for a few years. :rolleyes: Oh how I miss ATI and Nortel.

This post sums it up pretty well. Well said my friend

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
The thing that iOS and Android have over Blackberry is this: Apps. You can actually code a decent application with iOS or Android.

Try editing a photo on a tiny, low-res, non-touch screen BB, or coding a good video editor app that will run smoothly. Even BlackBerry's own app world is laggy on my phone.

What new handsets, software and OSes are RIM releasing to solve these problems? Anything? No.

I use it only for texts and calls. Will buy an iPod touch asap to get all the usable, productive iOS apps.

There is a JDK to do apps, but it is PAINFUL. I worked on an app for Android and BB 2-3 years ago. So the common logic was in a common library.

Well, ****, we had to abstract String.split because RIM didn't see fit to put in the the very basic java.lang.String class!!!

That was just the drop that spilled the cup for me, as there were so many examples of crap we had to do...

Calm down now... Calm down.... ooooooom! Crap, I need to call my therapist... :-D

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I hope Apple learns from this. Perfect example of how quickly the mighty can fall.

To clarify, I don't want Apple to fall. Just hope they realise that they need to keep pushing forward and innovating. Happened to Sony with the Walkman. Happened to Sega in gaming. Now it's happened to RIM.

So, keep pushing forward Apple. :)

----------

I live around the corner from that building!

Own anything valuable? ;) :p

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I hope Apple learns from this. Perfect example of how quickly the mighty can fall.

To clarify, I don't want Apple to fall. Just hope they realise that they need to keep pushing forward and innovating. Happened to Sony with the Walkman. Happened to Sega in gaming. Now it's happened to RIM.

Happened to Apple too... I think they already learned that lesson first hand.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
Maybe they will turn around and come up with a new concept; the iPhone killer! :D

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Blackberry has absolutely no shot of return to the top, ever

Never say never, I mean look where Apple was in the 90's...

But... they're going to have to wake up and do some drastic things if they want any chance of surviving.

I mean it's the the point that I see a blackberry and I'm like, "Those things still exist?".

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Blackberry has absolutely no shot of return to the top, ever

Returning to top yeah not going to happen but they are far from dead. For an email platform the
Remember when people insisted on a hard QWERTY? LOL!

The hardware QWERTY keyboard on blackberries is by far the best one out there. It would be nice to see more hardware keyboards out there instead of them being complete phased out in favor of touch screen only. Sliders for it would be great. Big time if using the gold standard of blackberry keyboards.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
This post sums it up pretty well. Well said my friend

The thing is, times are different now. The size of Apple back then, not to mention the market itself, was tiny compared to where RIM sits now. And technology has advanced so much - which I think is the real issue RIM is where they are today. They refused to move forward technologically, thinking they had something no one else would ever have and that was good enough.

They're only now trying to un-do that culture and it's not going to change with the release of their next line of phones. Maybe the group after that, but not this one. They're scrambling now just to catch up and there is no way they've got either the people or groundbreaking technology to bring something truly creative, different and better to market this fall (if they can even hit a fall launch with a product that isn't half-baked like the playbook was).

I feel bad for the employees, but I have to think that a lot of the real talent there has already left, not being able to or wanting to work for the old co-ceo's. They, in all their ignorant bliss, have to be the biggest reason they are in trouble today. They really should be giving money back to shareholders for what they did.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
To little too late, that's what is killing RIM. They need to start investing heavier on the development side of things, as well as in their departments of advertising and public relations. If they need to, make the necessary cuts to get going again. A lot of people blame RIMs proprietary model for hurting them, but Apple operates on one just fine. I think it's possible that they'll come back, as long as they start rebranding and reworking themselves sooner rather than later. Allowing easy porting from the Android market to theirs is a step in the right direction, but it's just one of many they will need to make.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
You do realize that this is an Apple oriented site, don't you?

Don't you think that news about Apple's sales and performance, compared to it's competitors, is appropriate news on this site?:confused:

Sounds like RIM may not be long for this world if they can't sell well in their own country.

Of course, we all know that those Canadians really want to be Americans!!:rolleyes: :D

(Oh boy...here it comes. :eek:)

Of course I know that the site is for. It's so we can come out with lame-assed comments.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007

So, keep pushing forward Apple. :)

----------

Next stop for Apple: TV Industry beware. "CAN'T HAPPEN HERE" number one on the list of famous last words.

Stouver

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
The most recent commercials for Blackberry have involved somewhat obscure actors and music artists telling us they need a tool not a toy which is why they use a Blackberry. I haven't seen a single innovative or new feature since I owned one 3 years ago.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
RIM has been on a decline since the launch of the iPhone and Android platforms with sales and profits dropping.

Uh ? This is completely untrue. RIM is still growing. This shows RIM shipped 34M units in 2009 and increased that to 47M units in 2010 :

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1543014

Next we have this, showing RIM's 47M units in 2010 growing to 51M :

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1924314

Where exactly is this decline taking place ?

Their growth slowed sure, and has been under the market growth for smartphones indeed, because frankly, the smartphone market exploded in areas RIM doesn't cater to, but to say they are "Declining" is quite the bit of FUD...

CoolmaxMini

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2012
I was nearly laid off from my job last year, and if that had happened, I knew I would be most likely going to RIM or QNX. Many of my colleagues did, and I knew they were hiring like mad and working like crazy to get their stuff out the door. Many of my friends are working hard on projects they can't tell me about, but obviously PlayBook OS 2.0 and QNX-on-Blackberry were on that list.

RIM took too long, and Apple overtook them by surprise, yes. The sudden negative media coverage sure didn't help. And naturally people on the Apple forum look down on anything that's not Apple.

The problem is that good software takes a lot of time, and many people don't realize that. They see company A release a product and company B releases the same thing two months later and everyone says "B saw A's announcement and copied it!" without realizing how absurd that timeline sounds, how many months ago both companies must have been designing, developing, testing. The corollary is that people assume RIM is sitting on their hands watching iOS take over, when they're probably madly developing and testing.

I bet RIM has some real solid stuff in the works... let's just hope it gets released soon enough to turn things around.

Apple was in a very similar situation as RIM in the late 1990s. Stock went down to as low as $12. Their OS9 platform is dying because multitasking was big then and Copeland wasn't the best OS to replace it with. And their clone licensing business to UMAX, Power Computing and Motorola and a host of others went nowhere. Then they invited Steve Jobs back and see what he could do to help revive the business. First,he axed the clone licensing business (that was a shock and a lot of people claimed Apple RIP), plus making his NeXT OS to become what is now known as Mac OSX and iOS. Stock went from $12 to $600 in over a decade. It was really easy to buy 1000 shares at $12 or $18 each. Now, you could be a millionaire. I was fortunate enough to be a loyal Apple fan boy as well as owning those shares when they were at the same price as RIM shares today!

Now what does this mean to RIM? The conditions are very similar to Apple back in the 1990s. Stock is in the teens, around $13 to $15 now and their stuff are now out of date compared to what's available. But they now have BB10 and QNX much like Apple had OSX then a decade prior. QNX represents a more advanced operating system, way ahead of iOS in many ways. Personally, I like RIM to succeed, as that will drive Apple to improve iOS beyond its current state now --multitasking is not as true as QNX does in Playbook with OS 2.0
I own both RIM and Apple stuff as well as their shares. Competition is always good and innovation is always better with competition from your peers.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
3 people I know that swore by Blackberries and said they would never even try anything else are all on iPhones now, and wondering why they remained loyal to RIM.

"Why didn't you tell me you could do this and this and this!?"

"You were right, you don't need a physical keyboard at all, do you"

"Looking back, I really have no idea why I said the iPhone was a toy and not suited for company use..."

...and so on and so forth.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
The most recent commercials for Blackberry have involved somewhat obscure actors and music artists telling us they need a tool not a toy which is why they use a Blackberry. I haven't seen a single innovative or new feature since I owned one 3 years ago.

lol ya those 2 dweps spining records saying they need to tell their fans what they are doing(considering they have about 4 fans they could easily do a group text on a LG Flip Phone)

i dont use my phone for this but how does the iphone sync with outlook compared to blackberry i know that might be one thing keeping RIM alive in the corporate world

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.