Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Angry Birds Space, the latest installment of the best selling mobile game of all time, has finally arrived. Rovio, the developer behind the series, partnered with NASA, the U.S. space agency, to promote the release, including a plug filmed by an Angry Bird-toting astronaut on the International Space Station.

angrybirdsspacescreenie1.jpg

Angry Birds Space delivers the biggest change yet in the series' well-known "launch birds out of a slingshot at pigs" gameplay. Instead of dealing with the gravity of just one planet, players are dealing with several. Kotaku explains:
Yes, you still play level by level. You still have a set number of birds--birds of different types--that you'll slingshot at towers of blocks, hoping to squash some pigs.

But now you're shooting your birds through space, from one planet to the next. Each planet has a gravitational field. Gone is the simplicity of just lobbing a bird in an arc. No. Welcome to the physics of the heavenly bodies. Shoot a bird into open space and it'll fly off in a straight line. Shoot one toward another planet and it'll get caught in its gravitational field and start orbiting the planet... or slowly descend as it encircles the planet to smash into the ground.
Angry Birds Space is $0.99 on iPhone and iPod Touch. [Direct Link]
Angry Birds Space HD is $2.99 on the iPad. [Direct Link]
Angry Birds Space is $4.99 on the Mac. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Angry Birds Space Launches on iOS and Mac

DerfBWH

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Am I the only person left on Earth that thinks that Angry Birds is a mediocre game at best? It's really not that entertaining.
Yes. Angry Birds is probably the most fun I've had with a game since the N64 days.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted

i have all 4 editions yet im to dumb to finish any of them. im the worst at this game

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
I played a bit on a friend's phone and can't figure it out... but at least it looks more enjoyable than that Fruit Ninja game that my old roommate and his girlfriend/fiance used to play for HOURS at a time. It was so weird how they'd just sit on the couch and swipe their fingers at airborne fruit for literally an entire evening...

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
These guys are getting greedy, no Universal App, you have to pay an extra .99 to play the full levels available in the game and you have to pay even more if you want to play with the mighty eagle, up to 19.99 !

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
this may make me try angry birds again. it got boring after a few weeks.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
These guys are getting greedy, no Universal App, you have to pay an extra .99 to play the full levels available in the game and you have to pay even more if you want to play with the mighty eagle, up to 19.99 !

Greedy? You've got to be kidding! Would you spend thousands of hours developing a game for free? I don't think so.

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI

dear god, people are SO ridiculous entitled nowadays.

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
Greedy? You've got to be kidding! Would you spend thousands of hours developing a game for free? I don't think so.

Universal app takes a lot of space. Especially with Retina display. You rather pay $4.99 for Universal app or $0.99 for iPhone app and $2.99 for iPad?

Plus your games are not synced across devices, levels you passes on iPhone are still closed on iPad. So there's no real advantage of Universal app.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Oh well, yeah, god forbid that anyone should ever develop a product and actually make money from it. We who spend $1100 minimum for a mac and $499 minimum for a iPad are going to quibble over 99 cents? Please.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Can anyone confirm whether or not the iPad version has retina display resolution?

I only have the first Angry Birds for my iPad and I hope that they don't hold out too long (or indefinitely) on upgrading that one.

Also -- the one star reviews in the App Store for this app over the fact that there's an option to pay $1 for extra levels in a $3 game are incredibly charming.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.

You're right. Nowadays, most of the major games are being released as an universal app, so I don't see a single rational reason why Rovio couldn't do the same with the Angry Birds. Greed is the only possible explanation.
Just think about it: It is by far the best-selling iOS game or maybe the best-selling iOS app whatsoever. iPad version is basically just upscaled from iPhone. It's the same friggin' game for Christ sakes! Then why on earth does the iPad version cost three times more than the iPhone app!? Why is it not universal? It *IS* technically possible. All those "HD" versions are pissing me off BIG time.

I really hope Apple will issue some kind of regulation against this kind of crooked business manners which will prevent developers from releasing two separate versions and which will force them to universalize their apps.
Charging the customer twice for a one thing is *NOT* cool.

Last edited:

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted

i have all 4 editions yet im to dumb to finish any of them. im the worst at this game

I have two boards with 2 stars on Seasons and it is driving me insane. Original is complete, haven't tried Rio though (assume that is the other edition you are referring to). As to Space, it has done some really interesting things with the concept, and definitely worth the buy.

Universal app takes a lot of space. Especially with Retina display. You rather pay $4.99 for Universal app or $0.99 for iPhone app and $2.99 for iPad?

Plus your games are not synced across devices, levels you passes on iPhone are still closed on iPad. So there's no real advantage of Universal app.
Might be different now, but for the first Angry birds, the 'iPad' version was identical to the iPhone version, the only difference was a flag in the .plist to tell it to NOT run full screen.
Either way, I have to agree that complaining about the price/value of Angry Birds is kinda ridiculous.

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
anyone know if the iPad version is optimised for the new iPad's display? I can't seem to find whether or not it is on the app store.

I'm thinking of getting it but if it's not optimised, i might just wait until it is and play through it then.

EDIT: found a couple of reviews that said it was, so I downloaded it and yep it looks awesome on the 3rd gen iPad for anyone else interested.

EDIT 2: so after a while of playing, as nice as it looks, a few levels use enlarged versions of the same images for things such as larger plants and bubbles, and these when enlarged are not optimised for the new iPads higher resolution.

look at the bubbles around the pigs on this level.
img0411.png

it doesn't really detract from the game, it's just something i noticed.

Last edited:

dot.ducky

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
I really hope Apple will issue some kind of regulation against this kind of crooked business manners which will prevent developers from releasing two separate versions and which will force them to universalize their apps.
Charging the customer twice for a one thing is *NOT* cool.

I was with you until here. I disagree. It's like saying, "I hope the government makes it illegal for Apple to sell more than one type of mac. They all do the same basic things, so why are they being crooked and selling multiples that do some things better than the others?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.