Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indigosierra

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Bought my iPad 3 on launch day from the Apple Store on Fifth Ave. & immediately noticed the "yellow tint" when compared to my iPad 2.

I tried the "burn in" method, left it on for about 18 hours straight with the brightness at 100% on a plain white screen & now all traces of the dreaded yellow tint are gone. Below are pictures of my iPad 3 (right) next to my iPad 2 (left).

Not saying this will work for everyone, but it might be worth a try before you go through the trouble of exchanging or returning.

YMMV

Fantastic results. When you left your ipad on for 18 hours, did you cover it in any way? In a towel, or in its box? Some people have said that you need to cover it so the heat is contained, and that somehow "cures" it.

Just wondering about your process and what you did.

jw6961

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Fantastic results. When you left your ipad on for 18 hours, did you cover it in any way? In a towel, or in its box? Some people have said that you need to cover it so the heat is contained, and that somehow "cures" it.

Just wondering about your process and what you did.

I did wrap it in a towel for several hours (saw that on another thread), but noticed it was getting pretty warm (not hot - but very warm).. So, I took it out of the towel & just let it sit on a table for about 12 hours at full brightness & it seemed to do the trick.

Cantisama

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
My new iPad had minor yellow tint in top-left portrait corner, as well as along most of the trim. Tried the let it run on full brightness trick but it didn't help. I went to the Apple Store this morning but my rep couldn't see the tint (in Apple Store lighting I could barely see my screen at normal brightness, so I understand why they couldn't see the tint). Since he couldn't fault the device and offer a swap, he recommended that as I am still within my 14-day return window to do an exchange. Will try out a new iPad later today.

FYI, the 14-day return window starts when your iPad order is charged, not when you receive it. I preordered 3/10, was charged 3/11, and received it 3/16, so my return window ends on 3/25.
-Edit-
^ this info only applies if you preordered online and want to return in-store. If you return online you get 14 days from date of delivery. Thanks to indigosierra for clarification.

Last edited:

indigosierra

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
FYI, the 14-day return window starts when your iPad order is charged, not when you receive it. I preordered 3/10, was charged 3/11, and received it 3/16, so my return window ends on 3/25.

"Returns are subject to Apple's Sales and Refunds Policy. If you change your mind, you can return your Standard or Configured-to-Order hardware to us within 14 calendar days of delivery." - Apple website store refunds page

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Just wanted to post a comparison of my iPad3 vs my iPad2. Sorry for the long post. All settings on both iPads were identical. Photos taken with iPhone4.

The picture of the tree stump (that is a tree stump right? Lol). That is a great example. I don't know how many of your have actually seen cut wood, or a fresh stump in real life. But it looks much much closer to what the iPad 3 is displaying.

And to those saying running it 100% brightness for hours (almost like a plasma burn in process). I will try that today and then take readings and see if anything has changed.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Bought my iPad 3 on launch day from the Apple Store on Fifth Ave. & immediately noticed the "yellow tint" when compared to my iPad 2.

I tried the "burn in" method, left it on for about 18 hours straight with the brightness at 100% on a plain white screen & now all traces of the dreaded yellow tint are gone. Below are pictures of my iPad 3 (right) next to my iPad 2 (left).

Not saying this will work for everyone, but it might be worth a try before you go through the trouble of exchanging or returning.

YMMV

What is the method for getting it to stay on a white screen as long as you want? I can't seem to find a setting for turning off the display vs. not after a time period.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
What is the method for getting it to stay on a white screen as long as you want? I can't seem to find a setting for turning off the display vs. not after a time period.

In settings, it's "time to lock" or something like that. Change it to "Never".

Cantisama

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Replacement iPad is way worse than first. Over 50% of top has yellow tint (as opposed to just one corner). Also this one has some blb while the last one had almost none.

Letting it burn white screen at full brightness and will test the screen tomorrow morning. I don't know if I would try another exchange or simply return it and try again in a few months.

"Returns are subject to Apple's Sales and Refunds Policy. If you change your mind, you can return your Standard or Configured-to-Order hardware to us within 14 calendar days of delivery." - Apple website store refunds page
Ah, thanks for clarification. I was going off of what the Apple employee told me which must only apply to in-store returns. My replacement has a new 14-day window, though I should only need one more day to make my return decision.

Cord77

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
This is what worries me, I also had 2 perfect white screens in the original online delivery but one of those had a faulty camera. The replacement I purchased from my nearest Apple store (50 miles away) has the yellow tint and I'm dreading the trip back tomorrow to try and get one that matches the other "white screen" one I have here.

Just back from the 100 mile round trip to my closest Apple store, and I'm sorry to say it's empty handed. I took my launch day "white screen" one (that's my Mum's birthday present) as my point of reference. The Apple store chap who was dealing with me agreed my returned one had a yellow tint compared to my reference one, then we tried 2 more and they were exactly the same. I said I didn't want him to go through his entire stock, so I took a refund instead. Now I'm iPadless and am facing with a lottery of ordering online with a 1-2 week lead-time, fully expecting to get another yellow tinted one. Someone at Apple needs to admit the issue, and perhaps say it resolves itself after 2+ weeks or something.

Really don't know what to do now.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009

Well I just decided to get my money back and wait until this mess gets sorted out. There's definitely a problem with some of these batches of iPads. I went through 3 (2 from Future Shop and 1 from Apple Store) and they all had bad displays. The guy at Future Shop said they've had a lot of returns this week.

I'm typing this reply on my iPad 1 with its nice, evenly lit white screen. :)

GUCCIMAN

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Just back from the 100 mile round trip to my closest Apple store, and I'm sorry to say it's empty handed. I took my launch day "white screen" one (that's my Mum's birthday present) as my point of reference. The Apple store chap who was dealing with me agreed my returned one had a yellow tint compared to my reference one, then we tried 2 more and they were exactly the same. I said I didn't want him to go through his entire stock, so I took a refund instead. Now I'm iPadless and am facing with a lottery of ordering online with a 1-2 week lead-time, fully expecting to get another yellow tinted one. Someone at Apple needs to admit the issue, and perhaps say it resolves itself after 2+ weeks or something.

I think you should've kept it and brought it home. heres why.

Preordered a 32gig white, it came, i used it for about 5 days, loved evrything about it but the size.

went into the store, bought a 64 gig white, came home, turned it on and it had a nasty yellow hue to it.. like the whites were off, kinda yellowy, it wasn't as bright as the 32 either when i had both side by side turned on.

heres how i tested to see if i was just being anal / biased:

I restored the new 64gig ipad so that it looks exactly like my 32gig.

Asked the GF to swap em around and so i won't know whats what, i could definitely 10 for 10 times tell you which one was the 32, and which one was the 64 simply by looking at wallpapers, safari etc.

i threw the 64gig on 100% brightness, on a white blank pic, into my macbook neoprene sleeve for a few hours.

took it out, left it on all night like that while charging.

woke up, did the test again, and the one i always picked or prefered, surprisingly was the 64gig over teh 32. the screen is now better than my 32.

sorry for the long post, I read people complaining about not taking full scientific calibrated tests and what not, I'm just saying, taking bias out of the experiment, I did the screen burn thing and it changed the screen enough for me to pick it over my other one unknowingly. YMMV.

Cord77

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
sorry for the long post, I read people complaining about not taking full scientific calibrated tests and what not, I'm just saying, taking bias out of the experiment, I did the screen burn thing and it changed the screen enough for me to pick it over my other one unknowingly. YMMV.

Yeah having read the posts in here today about the 18 hour burn-in etc I am starting to think I should have given it a try (the beauty of hindsight).

I tried all my local stores on the way home, since at least I wouldn't have to travel so far if I did need to return it again, but alas none had the 64GB one in stock.

I think I'll order online from Apple and if it has yellowing, I'm going to try the burn in thing. I just wish Apple could acknowledge this (if in fact it is an evaporation of some sort), so I at least had something official to go by.

LeCookie

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Don't know if I have missed any posts but, I'll ask again if thats ok,

Has anyone been to a UK store and bought or got a replacement good white one?

I'm beginning to think there isnt any from any Apple shops that are so called "perfect."

rangen

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Don't know if I have missed any posts but, I'll ask again if thats ok,

Has anyone been to a UK store and bought or got a replacement good white one?

I'm beginning to think there isnt any from any Apple shops that are so called "perfect."

Good question... and tomorrow it goes on sale in 25 other countries, so what will that mean for production/quality control?

shashu

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
I thought I'd share my experiences.

I pre-ordered the 16gb 4g White and smartcover from Apple online in the UK but decided that I needed 32gb and the cover was overpriced at £59. So I purchased a 32gb from Curry's but soon realised the screen was heavily jaundiced yellow. I managed to exchanged the 32gb but this time the screen had uneven brightness and a pink tint. The white safari background was just not white when compared with the Iphone. I tried to return the unit to Curry's but they were having none of it, so I thought I was stuck with it. However, last night, as if by magic, a 1px black line appeared on the screen and became stuck there despite resetting etc. So today I went back and managed to get my money back.

I then reluctantly went to the Apple store to pick up a replacement (I try and avoid the place, the mayhem of it gives me nightmares). I checked out three demo units and found that two were pink, and one was white. That's the first white one I've seen, but now I'm wondering whether it was actually an Ipad 2, since I didn't actually verify the About page. Anyway, I bought one under the proviso that I wouldn't accept it unless it was the same colour as the display unit, and lo and behold, it wasn't. So the sales advisor opened another one for me, which I had to accept (since I couldn't ask for a third). This one is also pink, and I wished I'd have kept the first I'd bought in the Apple store.

I'm beginning to think that there are either none or very few around with an acceptable white, and I'm planning on returning the one I have on Monday. I'll have to wait for the +£1500 of refunds to go back onto my credit card, then I'll probably try again. I just can't put up with not having a white screen, I mean, I want to use it to read news websites. When I'm reading text on a white background, the murky pink render annoys the f*!k out of me.

Incidentally, I opened the 16gb which I'd ordered from Apple online just to have a look at the screen, and it wasn't to my satisfaction. That means I've now opened 5 and not been satisfied yet.

ImanIphone

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
MD
Well, I have a perfect screened 16GB white iPad that I planned on returning for a 32GB tomorrow but now I'm scared ******** I'll get a yellow one.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Well, I have a perfect screened 16GB white iPad that I planned on returning for a 32GB tomorrow but now I'm scared ******** I'll get a yellow one.
Be afraid be very afraid.

----------

Someone please link a plain white background

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Well i be damned, I turned up the brightness to 100% left on white background and wrapped up for a few hrs and all the yellow is gone.

It actually now looks whiter then my iPad 2 :eek::eek:

Cheers for the tip, as always you guys are the best

LeCookie

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Watchdog (UK) TV programme have just had an article about the heat issue.

Your not telling me more people have been moaning about heat/wifi/battery than the yellow screens?

I can only assume nobody here is officially complaining to Apple or the press and just moaning here.

This issue needs high profile International coverage for anything to be done.

On a lighter note Dulux the paint manufacturer are having massive issues with thier pure brilliant white paint being yellow :)

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
so i will try the wrap up method tonight...

obviously you are leaving the ipad plugged in and wrapping towel from side to side around it?

secondly, for the people having success - did you have a full yellow tint or just part of the screen? mine is having a yellow tint on the top 1/3 of the screen...just wondering.

rangen

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
I want an iPad with a white that reflects the GB Olympic Kits announced today... blue!

jw6961

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
so i will try the wrap up method tonight...

obviously you are leaving the ipad plugged in and wrapping towel from side to side around it?

secondly, for the people having success - did you have a full yellow tint or just part of the screen? mine is having a yellow tint on the top 1/3 of the screen...just wondering.

Mine had the yellow tint across the entire screen.

Just be sure to check on the iPad every so often if you wrap it in a towel to be sure it's not overheating.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
You need to get some self quality control! Seriously, his ipad is leaking all over the place!!!

My screen was (i got my money back) perfect apart from it being yellow. No leakage or such a ridiculous small about that even at 100 brightness on a black screen in a fully darkened room you could see just a whisker. It was truly impressive and I was reticent to give it up, but the yellow was too much. It didn't change for me even after constantly running movies on it for 3 days.

The light leakage from Seasurfer is bad in my opinion and I would take it back without hesitation.

Did you even read what my post was in context of? Your post makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.