Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I bought a Smart Cover with my new iPad, but I returned it. It woke my iPad just fine. But I assumed the cover would magnetically attach to the back when it was open. Instead it just sort of flopped around, which made the iPad hard for me to hold. The Smart Cover certainly was sleek, but I didn't find it that functional.

Actually the cover is designed to fold upon itself like a triangle and makes a very convenient hand hold for me. I never noticed my new iPad was getting warm in fact until I read about it here.

----------

My friend dropped his iPad 2 and iPad 3 on pavement and guess what? iPad 2 not a damn scratch but the 3 shattered. Take what you will out of it.

your friend is clumsy and is careless with his iPads? Hope he had the applecare.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
My friend dropped his iPad 2 and iPad 3 on pavement and guess what? iPad 2 not a damn scratch but the 3 shattered. Take what you will out of it.

wtf does this have to do with a smart cover? It just sounds like your friend is an idiot or has way too much money to burn. He can send some of it to me!

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I got a smart cover when they first went on sale for the iPad 2, works fine on my New iPad and even my housemates non-apple smart cover works too..

Why do some work and some don't ?

Same experience. Bought the black leather one on opening day of the iPad 2 (a year ago) and it works fine with my new iPad. Shrugs. Weird. Since its a polarity issue perhaps the way the magnets were placed during manufacturing is why some work and some do not. My guess is now they only orient them in one way, in the past did not pay attention. Which would result in a 50/50 chance of not having a problem (or of having a problem depending on if you are a pessimist)

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
For those asking why some work and some don't:

The original iPads didn't have a polarity sensing magnetic switch. So it didn't matter if the magnetic field was N-S or S-N. As a result it didn't matter what direction the magnet was built into the case.

Now with the new sensors the magnet can only be oriented in one direction for the cover to work properly. In the older covers it was random which way the magnet was oriented - kind of like flipping a coin. Sometimes it will be N-S and the rest of the time it will be S-N.

This also means that any new covers will also work with all iPads using the older sensor.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
I've not noticed any problems with the smart cover that I bought on iPad 2 launch day last year with my new iPad. I've noticed it get warm, but primarily when I had it sitting on the passenger seat for an 11-hour drive in the sun while running the GPS- and every iPhone I've owned has had the exact same issue (as well as pretty much everything in existence that sits out in the sun for a while...).

Frankly, I have a bigger complaint with Apple and calling it the 'new iPad' and something less confusing like 'iPad 3' or 'iPad HD'...

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
For those asking why some work and some don't:

The original iPads didn't have a polarity sensing magnetic switch. So it didn't matter if the magnetic field was N-S or S-N. As a result it didn't matter what direction the magnet was built into the case.

Now with the new sensors the magnet can only be oriented in one direction for the cover to work properly. In the older covers it was random which way the magnet was oriented - kind of like flipping a coin. Sometimes it will be N-S and the rest of the time it will be S-N.

This also means that any new covers will also work with all iPads using the older sensor.

That's interesting. Why would they introduce the polarity sensing? Is there some new functionality with the Smart Cover in the new iPad?

Otherwise, it's just case of "Let's introduce a component which arbitrarily stops ~50% of existing smart covers from working".

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
That's interesting. Why would they introduce the polarity sensing? Is there some new functionality with the Smart Cover in the new iPad?

Otherwise, it's just case of "Let's introduce a component which arbitrarily stops ~50% of existing smart covers from working".

Read the original article - some iPads would turn off when the cover was flipped around to the other side (opened). It was to solve an existing problem.

onomike

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Hawaii
In the older covers it was random which way the magnet was oriented - kind of like flipping a coin. Sometimes it will be N-S and the rest of the time it will be S-N.

Thank you! This makes perfect sense. Often times the simplest answer is the best answer.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009

please tell your clumsily friend to report back next year when he or she drops their iPad 4.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Mine doesn't even get warm unless I crank the backlight, which I never have a need to do, it charges fine and the smart cover from my dad's iPad 2 works fine on it.

Well, clearly you didn't get the memo, because this means the End of the World as We Know It. :cool:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
wtf does this have to do with a smart cover? It just sounds like your friend is an idiot or has way too much money to burn. He can send some of it to me!

Isn't his first against iPad 3 post tbh. 'someone' carrying both iPad and dropping them sounds ....... Likely :)

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Same issue with 3ed party SC.
It was for iP2, for lark tried to fit on iP3, and to get it to switch off had to move the cover 2 to 3 mm up.

Carbon Cover??

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
weird. I bought a black leather smart cover for my iPad2 when it launched last year and a dark grey one for my iPad3. Both work on the iPad3 perfectly.

edit: Ah... I see that some people are posting that it didn't matter which way the polarity was, so it only affected some.

CupertinoRat

macrumors member
May 27, 2011
I get flamed. Nice. Allow me to state some facts for you about the iPad 3:

- its bigger
- it's heavier
- it gets hot
- it won't charge
- covers don't work

What next?

Do you really think we would be talking about these issues under Jobs' watch?

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
I get flamed. Nice. Allow me to state some facts for you about the iPad 3:

- its bigger
- it's heavier
- it gets hot
- it won't charge
- covers don't work

What next?

Do you really think we would be talking about these issues under Jobs' watch?

Such a Negative Nelly you are.

Bigger and heavier? Yes, but barely noticeable. It runs hotter than the iPad 2? Isn't that to be expected? Won't charge? It DOES charge, it just takes longer, and there's a glitch with the battery sensor. OLDER covers don't work. You're not a person who pays attention to detail, are you?

-LTE
-Faster Processor
-Retina Display
-5MP Camera

Were you expecting all of this on an iPad as thin as paper, that charges in an hour, and runs on cold fusion?

Edit:
And didn't we have the "antennagate" under Jobs? What about location logging? Exploding iPhones? People always find issues to complain about, some are valid, some aren't

Last edited:

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Mine doesn't even get warm unless I crank the backlight, which I never have a need to do, it charges fine and the smart cover from my dad's iPad 2 works fine on it.

Same for me, except not my dad's iPad. It's so sad that most people actually believe what they hear, read, and see. They live in a make believe world of non-reality.

Rumple

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I bought one of the very first smart covers. Still use it I ordered it like 3 minutes after it was available online. Works perfect with the new iPad.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
First the thing overheats then it won't charge properly and now smart covers don't work.

This wouldn't be happening under Steve's watch.

did you read the post? It statest that the iPad 3 has a polarity sensitive switch to address a problem that occurred with the iPad 2...this isn't a problem with the current model

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
if is 100% likely that Apple Smart Covers will be hit and miss until Apple notified the supplier that they had to 100% orient the magnets in a certain way.

The good thing here about Apple is you can bring the nonfunction cover to a store and they will likely replace it (as reported by a number of customers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.