Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borcanm

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
It's all RIMs fault. RIM wasn't innovative and slept on the job while Apple and Google got on top. I mean, Samsung is now a big time phone maker. When did this happen???? Obviously it happened because Samsung worked hard at it, while RIM slept on the job. There is a chance for RIM to come back but I don't know if the company can pull it off.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
People are breaking the chain of their BlackBerrys.

The name Blackberry, is the informal name of the old iron prison ball and chain that prisoners used to have in his ankles in Jail.
Iron ball is Black, and looks like a large Berry.

Edward C.

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Georgia
As an owner of iPhones 3GS and 4 as well as an iPad and on the Mac OS since 1995 I must say that I do enjoy my Apple products really back before they were cool and can remember when Apple was in the same boat as RIM. With that being said I also use a Blackberry 9800 as my daily driver and own a Playbook with OS2 and I'm here to say I love my Blackberry's just as much and the Playbook is SWEET especially for the $200.00 I paid for it! I hope the best for RIM and have my next upgrade coming in the fall just in time for the iPhone 5 or the new Blackberry 10, we shall see which one looks the best and decide then! Best regards to all!!

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I don't know, after further reading through this thread all I really want to say is good riddance if they go under. I really don't see them delivering for anyone but their own bottom line at this point. Consumers have got wind of it, and it's all downhill for them, thanks to their lackluster products. Like the other guy said, there's no room for them in this market if that's how they're going to do things. They can either supply a useful product or close their doors. I'd rather not join the RIM pity party, as so many have. And yeah it's horrible that people will get laid off or become unemployed, but that's a reality of business. Any business risks shutting the doors.

I mean the jobs will be there if they aren't providing them, for example not too long ago Apple hired a ton of new workers in Texas.

Stay competitive or die out, that's a free market.

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Does not look like they can stop the bleeding.

In order to prevent more losses, someone over at RIM needs to admit their current strategy isnt working.

They could aim for the lowend market, but even there they have a lot of competition from Andriod.

One solution that could but seem too prideful to do is to just adopt Andriod as their O/S and just make new phones running Andriod.

Most of their software *CAN* be ported over to Andriod. Then update their hardware to run Andriod. I think their customers would LOVE that.

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
I've been a Mac user since 1992, when I was 7 years old. I've been a huge Apple fan ever since, learning every Mac model, reading MacRumors from when it first started...I eventually worked at an Apple retail store then Education Sales after that. I currently own an Apple TV, iPod Touch, MacBook Pro 17", and an iMac.

Yet, I'm a happy and proud owner of the BlackBerry Bold 9900.

I've been a real estate agent for years, and while some agents out there prefer the iPhone or Android-based devices, I still have not found anything to match the quickness and speed of "getting things done" on my BlackBerry. If I get 50-100 emails in a day or 10-15 voicemails; I'd rather have my BlackBerry for my communication device.

That's the thing - BlackBerry has always been a communication device. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not as user-friendly as the iPhone, nor does it have apps to let you pass time while waiting at the doctor's office...but if you know how to get around (example - From the main screen, hit "C", and it composes an email), it is so much easier and faster to get work done. (Another example - I can find an email from three months ago in 5 seconds by hitting "S")

Just my two cents! :) Wanted to let you guys know that there are people who still love their BlackBerry smartphones...and their iPod touches. ;)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Oh how quickly we forget... To all the people saying that RIM is doomed, Apple was much MUCH closer to doom back in 1997 than RIM is today. RIM is still highly profitable, but yes, they've obviously lost marketshare.

Though I was never interested in any of their products, it was nice having a successful Canadian company that wasn't bought out by a larger American company, at least for a few years. :rolleyes: Oh how I miss ATI and Nortel.

True... Apple was a troubled computer company.

Then they broke out of their shell and made MP3 players, touchscreen phones, and tablets... all high-margin devices.

RIM won't make MP3 players since they are going out of style.

And RIM tried both touchscreen phones and tablets with little success.

RIM probably won't go out of business in my lifetime... but I doubt they will have a re-invention like Apple had either.

I mean... what could they possibly do?

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
True... Apple was a troubled computer company.

Then they broke out of their shell and made MP3 players, touchscreen phones, and tablets... all high-margin devices.

RIM won't make MP3 players since they are going out of style.

And RIM tried both touchscreen phones and tablets with little success.

RIM probably won't go out of business in my lifetime... but I doubt they will have a re-invention like Apple had either.

I mean... what could they possibly do?

Become the third major OS. Palm tried to be it, Microsoft has been struggling to get major marketshare...the answer is to become the third OS.

You don't need to be #1 in order to be successful or profitable. Look at Apple - incredibly profitable Macintosh line...yet marketshare has not been the goal. It was all about making great products at high margins.

BlackBerry OS 10 is a complete reboot of the BBOS - it doesn't look anything like previous BlackBerry phones. That is their last chance.

If they mess that up, then yes - I'm right there with you. But I want to wait and see what they've got up their sleeves. They need to do it before Windows Phone 8 comes out for sure...because God knows how much money Microsoft will put into the marketing for that this fall.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
snip And no matter fanboys say, QWERTY is still the way to go if you are into texting. After more than a year after my touch transition, I still cannot type as fast as on my Nokia E71.
This is an individual issue. Like mobile flash, keyboards on phones are dead. iPhone gave the fatal wound. Android twisted the knife.

Again, how is a company that is still growing in bad shape ?
Maybe because the stock has plummeted significantly since a year ago?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The thing that iOS and Android have over Blackberry is this: Apps. You can actually code a decent application with iOS or Android.

Try editing a photo on a tiny, low-res, non-touch screen BB, or coding a good video editor app that will run smoothly. Even BlackBerry's own app world is laggy on my phone.

What new handsets, software and OSes are RIM releasing to solve these problems? Anything? No.

I use it only for texts and calls. Will buy an iPod touch asap to get all the usable, productive iOS apps.
The lack of modern apps was certainly my biggest issue when I owned a BlackBerry Storm. Though I suppose the main reason it didn't get the support was due to its horrendous memory structure. (ie. apps could only be installed to a 128MB partition, more than half of which was already occupied by the built-in software, and since it also kept a cache in this space having more apps would degrade performance)

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
What could RIM do to keep their business running? Could they build Android based Blackberries?
What can they do? They are hiring IOS developers :D

Huh? RIM looking to hire iOS app developer

"Senior iOS Mobile Developer." According to the listing, the person will "create exciting enterprise applications for distribution on the iOS platform," and must know how to build and deploy "complex applications for iPhone and iPad devices."

Renzatic

Suspended
Blackberry Storm: iPhone killer... LOL

I own a Storm. At the time, Blackberry was still a well respected brand, and thought it'd make for an excellent first foray into into the wonderful world of smartphones. Let me tell you, it was an absolutely wonderful experience watching the OS crash just from getting a phone call. Truely magical. And the user experience! I'd actually have to take the battery out and wait 10 minutes after every one of these aforementioned crashes. It was STUPENDOUS! And apps? Oh, I had a whole three to choose from. Three! The vast selection made me dizzy with excitement! And they barely ran! I sometimes had to wait 3 minutes for some of them to load! And don't even get me started on the internet. I could go on forever! No 3G or Wifi capabilities, despite the salesman claiming the opposite? It...flew. Pages would load up in :snap: 5 minutes. And the battery life! Oh my GOOWWWAADD! If I didn't mess with any apps, barely texted, and kept conversations down to a minimum, I bet I could get an hour out of the thing. AN HOUR!

I'm honestly surprised RIM isn't doing better than what they are. I mean they make such quality products.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Because they had no reason to do major innovations. Up through 2006 all phones pretty much sucked, but until the iPhone came out there was no alternative. Once the iPhone was released RIM couldn't adapt.

----------

You still have choice, there are still phones made with a physical keyboard.

You don't sit and wait for something to happen, a good company has reserves. They plan ahead, think to the future. If they don't, they sink. That's what's happening to RIM. They waited to long to catch up and they are paying for it.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I own a Storm. At the time, Blackberry was still a well respected brand, and thought it'd make for an excellent first foray into into the wonderful world of smartphones. Let me tell you, it was an absolutely wonderful experience watching the OS crash just from getting a phone call. Truely magical. And the user experience! I'd actually have to take the battery out and wait 10 minutes after every one of these aforementioned crashes. It was STUPENDOUS! And apps? Oh, I had a whole three to choose from. Three! The vast selection made me dizzy with excitement! And they barely ran! I sometimes had to wait 3 minutes for some of them to load! And don't even get me started on the internet. I could go on forever! No 3G or Wifi capabilities, despite the salesman claiming the opposite? It...flew. Pages would load up in :snap: 5 minutes. And the battery life! Oh my GOOWWWAADD! If I didn't mess with any apps, barely texted, and kept conversations down to a minimum, I bet I could get an hour out of the thing. AN HOUR!

I'm honestly surprised RIM isn't doing better than what they are. I mean they make such quality products.

Oh yes, I also remember having to take out the battery when my Storm decided to completely lock up. Or even just every few days when it ran out of memory and started asking me if I wanted to delete apps just to clear out room for the cache!

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
Maybe this is what RIM needs to get them to hurry up with the qnx based phones...

I have a Bold 9900, it is a wonderful device, touch and qwerty combined, so intuitive, it is much better than my bold 9800 (except for the camera, I take umbrage with the 9900's camera). I've looked at iphones and others, but I've found the blackberry works for me.

I have an ipod touch had a 1G and now a 4G) so I can run the ios apps I want if I want to, meaning I've never felt the need for an iphone. I've found the bb works very well for what is was meant to do, email, bbm, and phone. i also appreciate the data compression and security features of bb os.

RIM can innovate, they just need a push to do so. I think they can stay near the top if they can just get some new innovation into their devices and stop trying to copy apple or andriod, rather innovating and improving what they already have done well for so long.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Maybe because the stock has plummeted significantly since a year ago?

How does a stock being traded on a public stock exchange that is manipulated by media hype an indication of company health ? Last I checked, units sold, profits, everything is still in the green.

If anything, RIM is undervalued because some players in the media are making up these doom and gloom stories.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
I've been a Mac user since 1992, when I was 7 years old. I've been a huge Apple fan ever since, learning every Mac model, reading MacRumors from when it first started...I eventually worked at an Apple retail store then Education Sales after that. I currently own an Apple TV, iPod Touch, MacBook Pro 17", and an iMac.

Yet, I'm a happy and proud owner of the BlackBerry Bold 9900.

I've been a real estate agent for years, and while some agents out there prefer the iPhone or Android-based devices, I still have not found anything to match the quickness and speed of "getting things done" on my BlackBerry. If I get 50-100 emails in a day or 10-15 voicemails; I'd rather have my BlackBerry for my communication device.

That's the thing - BlackBerry has always been a communication device. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not as user-friendly as the iPhone, nor does it have apps to let you pass time while waiting at the doctor's office...but if you know how to get around (example - From the main screen, hit "C", and it composes an email), it is so much easier and faster to get work done. (Another example - I can find an email from three months ago in 5 seconds by hitting "S")

Just my two cents! :) Wanted to let you guys know that there are people who still love their BlackBerry smartphones...and their iPod touches. ;)

I own various Apple products and switched from a terrible Android phone to a Blackberry Bold 9780 (mainly because TMobile still lacks the iPhone) and it was a decent choice. Overall I like the Bold but it's clear it's eons beyond in terms of technology, speed, functionality.

For example none of your shortcut examples actually work anymore.

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2011
If there was a day when the iPhone no longer exists I would happily go back to my Blackberry Curve before an Android. Loved it!

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Well it's RIM's fault for hiring a incompetent management team.

Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie are completely to blame for their complete failure to ensure successful future at RIM. Management Teams take direction from the people higher up.

I feel sorry for everyone at RIM, and I know a *lot* of them too, I live in Waterloo and many of my friends are employed there.

However, the company is still pulling in lots of profits, but as the market in smartphones grows, their numbers are still high in all categories except smartphone market share. I get really irritated by all the apple and android fanboys laughing at RIM and hoping for their demise.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
What i would do if i was Rimm's CEO.

Phone Ballmer tommorrow! asap...take a pure stock swap at todays closing price (RIMM 13.78)...For Microsofts part they should then work a deal with nokia to provide free! lumina 900 phones to all Rimm users.

Yes in short term it's gonna cost msft tons of money!!! Put if they want any chance of playing in the smartphone game (which is the future..not pc's) they need to take the chance!

Now what will happen.

Rimm will go bankrupt within a few years,microsoft will continue to be run into the toilet by Ballmer...oh well i could have saved them both!

ps: i own apple stock,but have a $199 playbook (which i really like!)

Renzatic

Suspended
Oh yes, I also remember having to take out the battery when my Storm decided to completely lock up. Or even just every few days when it ran out of memory and started asking me if I wanted to delete apps just to clear out room for the cache!

Oh, damn. Appreciate you reminding me of that. All the time I spent repressing the memory of that particular pain in the ass...ffft...gone. Now here I am, remembering those long, dark days I spent screaming "What else do you want me to do? I've already deleted all my apps, emails, and pictures, but you still want more! WHY CAN'T I MAKE YOU HAPPY" at that useless hunk of brushed aluminum and plastic are now flooding back in.

Yeah. Thanks. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.