Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IBneel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
I had a thought today ...
I need a new audio player.

I like technology, I like to use different devices, which is why for the last 4 years I haven't actually gotten many apple devices.
I got an HTC hero, which was cool for the first few months but I started to really hate android. Then I switched to a WebOS and had a palm pre plus for 2 years, it was a great little device, but it had its flaws, one of which was the battery. So, because of this I got myself a Zune HD, I liked the way the UI looked and the design of the body, however, being in the UK, it was no easy task finding one on the high street, eventually I got one from CEX.
Recently I switched to WP7 and have a Lumia 800, and the first thing I noticed about it was that I had to choose songs, I know this might sound stupid but I have a lot of music, and I got thinking that I don't want to have to choose which music I have to take with me, and 16 gig is not that much space, considering apps and other files and what not.
So I decided today that I'm going to get an iPod Classic.
I've always liked the iPod, the last 'classic' model I had was the iPod video with 30 gig storage.
So went to the apple store online and ordered a black classic.
However, it hit me then, that this model has been exactly the same since 2009.
To me this is the best model, it has more storage than any other media player readily available on the high street, its slim enough to fit in your pocket comfortably and it looks stunning. Its the perfect audio player.
But how does one make it better. Looking at my macbook pro, I knew the answer!
give it a aluminium unibody, making it slimmer and totally aluminium, the stainless steel on the underside looks classic and nice, but it scratches easily. Make the display slightly bigger and more glassier, shrink the click wheel a little.
I have a little picture in my mind of how it could look, keeping the same lines and everything we know and love about the classic, but making it slimmer and more robust with a unibody, and possibly a slightly bigger and higher resolution screen (not on a retina level or anything).
I wish that this could happen, and who knows, it could breathe more life into the iPod Classic.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Sounds like remastering Gone With The Wind. You can only breathe so much new life into an old classic before you wind up just making a new product.

PieVine96

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
London
Sounds like remastering Gone With The Wind. You can only breathe so much new life into an old classic before you wind up just making a new product.

As long as its not too different (ie not a touchscreen app-machine) and has a massive flash-drive, I think it could easily sell- the 'Classic needs a big looking at, and the longer Apple leaves it the more of a remaster it will be

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.