Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by bousozoku

No overclockers here! Maybe that stuff flies where you are, but not in my house. :D
No, not you. The overclocker that used his name as anti-mac propaganda on our team. :)
Besides, Jaguar seems to slow down my G3. Probably, it's a lack of memory. Looks like G4 memory isn't too bad right now. :)
Jaguar runs here on my 9600 fast. Must be lack of mem, slow CPU, or sucky video card.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by mc68k

No, not you. The overclocker that used his name as anti-mac propaganda on our team. :)
Jaguar runs here on my 9600 fast. Must be lack of mem, slow CPU, or sucky video card.

As usual, the initial developer preview speeded things dramatically and the final product is a bit safer and slower. I'd rather have accurate data somewhat later though. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ok, we've slipped back to 40th place! Damn, that sucks, we made it to 37 for a while. We need more members!

D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Our fears about the lab coming up short are starting to bear fruit. We can't monitor the lab the whole time to make sure that the computers are left on at all times...:(

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
time to get the lable maker out and start putting on the 'Do Not Shut Down The Computer When You Are Finished'

But will the process run in the background if the people log out?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
No login/out in our lab...the machines are logged in permanently. The students don't need to mount personal folders or any of that.

It's just a matter of telling the new lab aides what to do...and what not to...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
We're running graphical in the systray. It is a lot better than the console, since people quit out of that more frequently. The majority of people won't know what the little red protein symbolizes, so we should be safe there.

We came in today to find most of them turned off! :eek: :eek: :eek:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by dukestreet
Ok, we've slipped back to 40th place! Damn, that sucks, we made it to 37 for a while. We need more members!

D

I know. I keep trying to find a way to boost my machines without buying memory but nothing really helps. Besides that, and being able to return results, I haven't had much luck lately.

It seems as though their integration sequence is manual. Everything that went over right before the Labor Day weekend just sat until after the holday. :(

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Bad news…

Our lab will be down for the weekend. If you see our ouput a little lower than normal, that's why.

If the Dells were macs, we wouldn't be having this little problem.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm going to stop coming here. I don't know whether I'll still add my CPU cycles to the team or not.

Thanks to those of you who've been friendly.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm going to stop coming here. I don't know whether I'll still add my CPU cycles to the team or not.

what! You're leaving the folding team or MacRumors? Why?

D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002

Pleasure having you on the team. Maybe you can help us out again someday?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I feel very much a pain to everyone here right now. I don't feel I belong so I will stop coming to macrumors.com.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
I've decided to contribute my spare CPU cycles to folding seeing as the SETI project is winding down.

I would start now but the website seems to be down...:(

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
glad to see more people getting on board - congrats pc-convert

but bousozoku - what in the hell are you talking about?

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Seems I've been crunching for a whole year...

Attachments

• ef2000.jpg
    ef2000.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 256

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i don't think those dates are accurate

Attachments

• picture-2.gif
    picture-2.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 217

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Now that I think about it...

I got my iBook three days before 9/11, which is about right. But I was crunching Genome@Home data with my PC a few months before that, I believe.

Must do some spirited scrounging of my download folder and other places.

---

Where did I get those stats? Goto the MR team page and click on yer name -- THEN BOOKMARK IT. For my stats, click my signature below.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
well, the downward cycle continues - team rank now at 41.

What was our high? 38, 37?

Hopefully we will get more members, we're still below 100.

D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by dukestreet
well, the downward cycle continues - team rank now at 41.

What was our high? 38, 37?

Hopefully we will get more members, we're still below 100.

D

Thanks for that ray of sunshine, duke, that'll really get people joining in droves. :rolleyes:

Actually, since our lab is back up now, our numbers should hopefully get back up to 2000 a week. There are only like 3 or 4 teams behind us that show any threat of passing...but not for some time. Let's keep the drive going and shoot for passing MacNN, they are only a few thousand in front of us.:D

http://statsman.org/folding2stats/html/

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
keep in mind that statsman and folding.stanford.org always have a 1 rank difference... don't think that's going on here. just reminding.

the key is that i now have my dual going with console. that will bring us up to top 20 in a couple hours

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

the key is that i now have my dual going with console. that will bring us up to top 20 in a couple hours

ha - well, i've been cranking away on both my machines and I've put up over 30 points so far. Not much in the big picture, but still, all of it helps.

but does anyone have any good ideas on how to attract new members? we need something.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.