Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonLDavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
After looking at this forum for hours, that's what I've come to understand.

I want a back case that:

1) lightweight and form fitting

2) comes in a color that matches well with the iPad and the black leather smart cover

3) made of durable, comfortable "grippable" material (because the naked iPad can be uncomfortable to hold in book form.)

4) secures to the smart cover

5) covers the iPad, including top and bottom, with sleek cut out that don't prevent docking...

6) this is more optional: metal thingee that allows you to keep your smart over folded over.

It seems like there's a lot of covers that do 1-3 but there are NONE that do 1-6. I wonder why that is? Also, I've only had the old iPad so I really don't know how important 4 is.. I kept my iPad in its Apple folio case all the time, so I'm going off that. Here's my take on the leading three products.

a)The readily available Incipio Feather does 1-4 and it does 1-4 really well. People seem to like it, but it falls short on features.

b) The elusive Belkin secure snap shield does 1-3, 5,6. People like the Belkin a lot. And they also, quite improbably, seem to enjoy the process of exchanging their broken Belkin for another one.

c) The (upcoming) Speck Smartshell does 1-3, 5,6. I have the HD pixel brand for my iphone. It's rough to the touch but it's saved me from a broken phone about 24 times. Seems like a good company, but there's a lot of complaints on here about the material. Unlike the Belkin, people don't like exchanging the Smartshell.

From what I understand, those are the three best options. Or those are the three I am looking at. I'm kinda waiting a bit longer, to hear more of what people have to say. This forum is great for my apparent OCD.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I'm waiting for the update to the Zum SC Ultimate, my favorite iPad 2 case to use in combination with the Smart Cover. I looked at the Incipio Feather at the MacMall store here in Chicago today and almost pulled the trigger but the exposure of the top and bottom of the iPad was a deal breaker for me, I'll wait a few more weeks for a Zum.

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
I was looking for something similar and settled on the Incipio Smart Feather. When it arrives I'll let you know how good it is.

DarthElevator

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
I'm waiting for the update to the Zum SC Ultimate, my favorite iPad 2 case to use in combination with the Smart Cover. I looked at the Incipio Feather at the MacMall store here in Chicago today and almost pulled the trigger but the exposure of the top and bottom of the iPad was a deal breaker for me, I'll wait a few more weeks for a Zum.
Zum SC Ultimate sounds like what I'm looking for. Does it have magnets in the back so the smart cover will stick to it when you flip the smart cover around to the back?

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
ZUM SC Ultimate is a perfect back case in every respect. I love it on my iPad 2 and eagerly await its arrival for the new iPad.

Mine does not have magnets on the back, however. Perhaps the new one will.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
a)The readily available Incipio Feather does 1-4 and it does 1-4 really well. People seem to like it, but it falls short on features.

What features does the Incipio Feather fall short on? Do you mean because it doesn't completely cover the ends and have a back magnet?

JonLDavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
What features does the Incipio Feather fall short on? Do you mean because it doesn't completely cover the ends and have a back magnet?

Yeah, those two. That doesn't mean I won't choose it; I don't know if those two factors are THAT important if people feel that the Incipio is the best case. I am fairly certain that the back magnet is NOT a deal breaker, sounds like something that's cool only in theory.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Yeah, those two. That doesn't mean I won't choose it; I don't know if those two factors are THAT important if people feel that the Incipio is the best case. I am fairly certain that the back magnet is NOT a deal breaker, sounds like something that's cool only in theory.

Gotcha. I gotta say I really like it, but others want more of the edges protected.

JonLDavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Over the last week, it has seemed like this forum has mostly been dominated with talk about incipio and belkin and maroo .

There's some threads on Zum now that I check back but it doesn't get a lot of reviews outside of this forum. Is this Zum thing for real; it sounds great. Or is it one of those weird things where people are secretly pitching their product?

It sounds crazy too care this much about a back cover, but I use the iPad every day for a lot of things. I've found the device invaluable for reading scripts and other materials. For typing emails. For watching movies and TV, which is part of the job here in Los Angeles. On the stairmaster. I used it to type up my wedding vows last year. Sorry ladies, I watch Game of Thrones and read Marvel Comics on my iPad while I'm in the bathroom -- and I'm taken.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Over the last week, it has seemed like this forum has mostly been dominated with talk about incipio and belkin and maroo .

There's some threads on Zum now that I check back but it doesn't get a lot of reviews outside of this forum. Is this Zum thing for real; it sounds great. Or is it one of those weird things where people are secretly pitching their product?

Zum is not out yet..as it is a form fitting back , there was no way it was gonna fit a i3....no shills here - go search zum, hundreds of us swear by them...

JonLDavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Sounds good, Glen! What do you recommend, black pearl or frost... to go with a black leather smart cover case? And when do the zum people announce their update? Do we know? Or are they the Dharma Initiative, and they're mysterious about that stuff?

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I don't care for the perforated portion of the Zum that covers the speaker. The holes don't line perfectly up and can slightly muffle the sound (haven't used a Zum, but my brother has a similar one from another manufacturer). Do they offer it in a true black?

sandydlc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
I got the Incipio Smart Feather in Frost to go with the Dark GreySmart Cover I bought a few days ago. Just came in this afternoon. It was just what I was looking for. Some pics here in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1346770/

I got the same Incipio with my leather smart cover and I really like it. I've only had it since yesterday but it's really well made and I love the way that it secures the smart cover from falling off the ipad (a problem with my previous Belkin cover).

I think it's a great combination and I like that the texture of the Incipio cover is not slippery. Great back cover!!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I can't wait to get my incipio smart feather. I got it in red. But I'm really liking the frost the more I see it. :eek:

I really wish I knew it was that clear before I ordered the red...

jpmxch

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
I got a smart cover today to go with a back case which im trying for the first time. My original iPad had the Otterbox and I wanted to go with something thinner and lighter this time around. After using the smart cover, I found it really annoying that I have to hold it up when its folded on the back due to it being multiple pieces. I'm probably going to get the Belkin since i'd rather have 5+6 over 4.

Genebaby

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
My Smartfeather in Frost arrived today and it's great. Will look into the Zum thing now though.

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
I have a Zum (for the 2) and an Incipio Feather -(also for the 2)

The existing Zum 2 - will go onto the 3 - but it doesn't quite fit properly side to side.

I would say the Zum offers a good deal more protection to the exposed edges and corners of the iPad than the Feather...however...whilst it possibly seems more substantial and thicker than the Incipio - the material is not particularly strong....the one I have on my iPad 2 has all the corners broken off - and several cracks from some fairly limited and light impacts - so I think it looks the part but I am not convinced it will give much, if any, protection in the event of, say, a drop from waist height onto a hard floor.....mind you neither would the Incipio....

So for day to day light wear I think I might wait for the Zum....just wish they would use a more robust material to make it from...

MaddyV

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
I also got the Incipio smart feather in frost with the apple smart cover. I am happy with this set up also. I did purchase the Incipio Lexington, but do not like it, therefore, I am returning it.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

It sounds crazy too care this much about a back cover, but I use the iPad every day for a lot of things. I've found the device invaluable for reading scripts and other materials. For typing emails. For watching movies and TV, which is part of the job here in Los Angeles. On the stairmaster. I used it to type up my wedding vows last year. Sorry ladies, I watch Game of Thrones and read Marvel Comics on my iPad while I'm in the bathroom -- and I'm taken.

Take a look at zerochroma's cover. I have it and its great:

Click Me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.