Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL

Hmmm. Maybe I don't have a Yoobao case after all? :eek: LOL
I just assumed it was, but after looking at the product description in my Amazon order history, I realize it's being marketed as an AYL Leather Case. It worked and fit perfectly on my iPad 2, but not with my new iPad. A shame because I was actually very impressed by its quality.

95046763.png

Maybe I should order an actual rev-3 Yoobao case and see if it works. Where did you buy yours, if you don't mind me asking?

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
All of these comments that their covers work. Define work. The article states that the new iPad was redesigned and the cover no longer causes the iPad to turn off when the cover is closed. How can it be that some covers cause the new iPad to turn off, but others do not?
The fail is strong with this one.

So you managed to read and quote several people that said their covers work but missed all the others that explained why this is so? In the simplest terms: The iPad 2 didn't care what direction the magnet was facing, it could be "up" or "down." Now the new switch requires it to be placed in a specific direction. As a result it is random chance if the older covers will work with the new iPads.

Want to get an idea on how that works? Say 20 million covers were sold. Flip a coin 20 million times and count how many times it comes up heads. This is about how many of the old covers will work on the new iPad. Go ahead and try it, we'll wait...

peb123

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
just too many issues with this new iPad.:(

Don't believe it. Its all blown out of proportion. My son has been using his new iPad 4-5 hours a day since the day it released doing school work, email and lots gaming (including infinity blade 2). It does not get hot, the display looks great and its battery life is the same as my iPad 2.

The display is warmer (color-wise NOT heat) than my iPad 2 but I do not think its yellow. I think it actually looks better.

The new voice dictation in the keyboard is awesome! It even recognizes my mixed up UK/Aust/US accent.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Don't believe it. Its all blown out of proportion. My son has been using his new iPad 4-5 hours a day since the day it released doing school work, email and lots gaming (including infinite blade 2). It does not get hot, the display looks great and its battery life is the same as my iPad 2.

The display is warmer than my iPad 2 but I do not think its yellow. I think it actually looks better.

The new voice dictation in the keyboard is awesome! It even recognizes my mixed up UK/Aust/US accent.

not too many with every single new iPad, but in general it doesn't appear to have been such a smooth release as previous products.

When it comes to this kind of thing personal experience means next to nothing, you need to look at aggregates, averages and general response, not just your personal experience with the product.

I'm glad you're liking your new iPad though.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
My cover works great. I think people are nuts and are looking for things to complain about.

GeniusJon

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Canada
I dropped my iPad 2 about 6 months ago on my hardwood floor from a standing position, so it probably fell 5 to 5 1/2 feet.... NOT A SINGLE SCRATCH ON IT!!! However, there was a huge gash in the wooden floor! I haven't dropped my new iPad (knock on wood) so I can't compare the durability, but I can say I was extremely surprised and pleased that the iPad 2 came away unscathed from that drop!

Same thing happened to my iPad 2. Dropped it at 3 feet and landed on a corner. The floor was dented and the aluminum casing was slighting shifted. It's okay though, the thing still works.

djmodifyd

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I have a smart cover from the launch day of the iPad 2 and it works fine with the new iPad

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I bought a Smart Cover with my new iPad, but I returned it. It woke my iPad just fine. But I assumed the cover would magnetically attach to the back when it was open. Instead it just sort of flopped around, which made the iPad hard for me to hold. The Smart Cover certainly was sleek, but I didn't find it that functional.

Yes it is to bad it does not stay put on the back side, I tend to take it off when I am holding the iPad or find a place to put it flat.

Does anyone know if the iPad A5X is using the same glass or gen 2 glass that is suppose to be even stronger and thinner. :confused:

----------

wtf does this have to do with a smart cover? It just sounds like your friend is an idiot or has way too much money to burn. He can send some of it to me!

Oh come on you know there is always a few in the crowd with stories of end of days doom

My friend whose friend had this friend that dropped his lunch which then cause this other guy to slip which then... dropped his/her (insert Apple product) and it broke.

You will notice that is always the new product that breaks vs the older product. ROFL :rolleyes:

----------

My cover works great. I think people are nuts and are looking for things to complain about.

Like most things a percentage will have the problem but yes a small loud minority will scream the end of the world is coming. Its electronic people things happen, take it back and get a new one. Apple is good at this. Can't say the same for a lot of other things I buy.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have a smart cover from the launch day of the iPad 2 and it works fine with the new iPad

How nice for you but that's totally irrelevant.
What matters is that this is a problem that Apple created and could have handled in a way that would have negated any bad press or bad customer service.

There was a reasonable complaint about the 1st gen smart cover and Apple quite reasonably made a design change to remedy it.
They replaced the non-polarity sensitive magnet that controls the wake/sleep feature with a polarity sensitive magnet.
So why wasn't the design change announced during the iPad reveal?
"Hey people. We listened to all of the compaints about some covers putting the iPad to sleep when wrapped around the back and we fixed it."
New smart covers will be available on such-and-such date.
Old smart covers may be traded in by following this procedure."

No, they didn't announce anything, they just waited for the complaints and the bad press.
People who could have bought their new smart covers along with their new iPads or traded in their old ones right there on the spot were instead sent home without the knowledge that Apple had created a possible product conflict that would render their old smart covers defective.

This was a problem that Apple knew about because they had caused it intentionally and instead of turning it into the positive that it really is, they let it become yet an other negative.

This is nothing but bad management.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
For those asking why some work and some don't:

The original iPads didn't have a polarity sensing magnetic switch. So it didn't matter if the magnetic field was N-S or S-N. As a result it didn't matter what direction the magnet was built into the case.

Now with the new sensors the magnet can only be oriented in one direction for the cover to work properly. In the older covers it was random which way the magnet was oriented - kind of like flipping a coin. Sometimes it will be N-S and the rest of the time it will be S-N.

This also means that any new covers will also work with all iPads using the older sensor.

THANK YOU!! With this information, I was able to slice along the seam of my third party smart cover case, flip the magnet, re-seal and now I have my favorite iPad case on my 3rd gen iPad!

Thanks again! :D:D:D:D:D

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
So who is trolling this BS!
My smart cover works flawlessly with the new iPad. And overheating? Please! I have no experience of any overheating.
Trolls make me sick but corporate trolls are even worse. I'm sure the competition has paid folks to bash Apple because of their success.

jonhas

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
I would just like to say that my "iPad 2 release day" smart cover works just fine on my iPad 3.

radio893fm

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2004
Boston
Same for me, except not my dad's iPad. It's so sad that most people actually believe what they hear, read, and see. They live in a make believe world of non-reality.

Doesn't this apply the other way too? Dont we repeat "magical product", "revolutionary", "the best", "the most", "it just works", "there are no problems", "you are holding it wrong".

At the end of the day, these things are made by humans, that means, they are not perfect, they don't cure cancer, and some of them are not as magical or revolutionary as they try to make us believe. (And no, the guys in the apple stores are not Genius either)

SimonMTL

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2005
Montreal Canada
THANK YOU!! With this information, I was able to slice along the seam of my third party smart cover case, flip the magnet, re-seal and now I have my favorite iPad case on my 3rd gen iPad!

Do you mind sharing with us? I have been going through this discussion thread looking for a fix. Any pictures of where that magnet is located?

Thanks in advance...

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Do you mind sharing with us? I have been going through this discussion thread looking for a fix. Any pictures of where that magnet is located?

Thanks in advance...

Read the first post in the thread. Click over to the link to my site. I provide pictures in the form of a video.

Every case will have the magnet in question located in the same spot.

Mark

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I just got a new Boxwave case. I wasn't expecting it to activate my iPad's screen, but it does maybe 30% of the time (and it has a really weak magnet).

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I just got a new Boxwave case. I wasn't expecting it to activate my iPad's screen, but it does maybe 30% of the time (and it has a really weak magnet).

If it is only activating it 30% of the time, it's more likely that the magnet is upside-down (reversed polarity) than it being a really weak magnet. Even when the polarity is wrong, the very edge of the magnet can activate the sleep/wake. I suspect your 30% of the time is when you case cover is slightly misaligned or not closed quite fully.

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.