Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Sorry! Some of that was me. Had visitors so needed to shutdown a few machines in the spare room!

They've gone, so ramping back up to full speed:)

free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Been folding now for around 6 months I would say, risen up the ranks and it's going 24/7 (yay for Uni paying electric bill).
However, I have a question. Would it be possible to increase my Average Load from a the 8.8 that it's currently at to around 12-16? Reason I ask is that whenever I use handbrake, it jumps to those numbers, but whenever I'm folding I can never get them that high.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Would it be possible to increase my Average Load from a the 8.8 that it's currently at to around 12-16? Reason I ask is that whenever I use handbrake, it jumps to those numbers, but whenever I'm folding I can never get them that high.

This is a quad-core 8-thread iMac right?
If so, you don't really want to see the load factor much over your number of threads.

A little over 8 prevents the threads running out of work, but way above means that you issuing much more work than can be processed, so you get contention and inefficiencies as you have to constantly switch between tasks.

That's just my simplified understanding of it - reality may vary:)

Anyway, keep up the good folding!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
glad you're back up to full throttle!

Sorry! Some of that was me. Had visitors so needed to shutdown a few machines in the spare room!

They've gone, so ramping back up to full speed:)

you mean your guests didn't appreciate the extra warmth? :D

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
i just joined and got a passkey. i'm running a 2.2ghz 2011 mbp. but my computer is only using 2% of the processor. is something wrong? i checked the activity monitor and there is a process called fah6 but it isn't using any cpu??

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
i just joined and got a passkey. i'm running a 2.2ghz 2011 mbp. but my computer is only using 2% of the processor. is something wrong? i checked the activity monitor and there is a process called fah6 but it isn't using any cpu??

How quickly were you checking activity monitor since starting FAH? It takes a little while sometimes to download a unit. Also, make sure you have the added the argument
Code:
-smp
added.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
How quickly were you checking activity monitor since starting FAH? It takes a little while sometimes to download a unit. Also, make sure you have the added the argument
Code:
-smp
added.

added smp. last night. i had checked it 1/2 hr after i had fah started. im on university internet so it shouldn't take too long to dl work units.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

wywern209 said:
Code:
-smp
added.

added smp. last night. i had checked it 1/2 hr after i had fah started. im on university internet so it shouldn't take too long to dl work units.

I got version 7 of fah and it's working now. Is it normal/ safe to keep my computer running at 90-92 C for hours on end?
EDIT: i limited the client to only use 2 cores. so i'm limiting it so i don't my computer too soon. :). it didn't affect my output too much though. only 1 more hour added to actual time to completion and my temps remain reasonable in the 70s. If i were to uninstall F@H though, i noticed that just draging the client and viewer applications from my applications folder only removed the icons but the processes kept on going, only that activity monitor just said the processes belong to nobody.

Last edited:

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
just joined. got passkey.

any speed benefits to console mode versus system preferences version?

edit: what parameters should I use (-smp or something else for big units)?

edit2: I had to add "-smp -advmethods" to the extra parameters line in system preferences panel.

Last edited:

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
just joined. got passkey.

any speed benefits to console mode versus system preferences version?

edit: what parameters should I use (-smp or something else for big units)?

edit2: I had to add "-smp -advmethods" to the extra parameters line in system preferences panel.

Welcome onboard!

I don't think there is any difference in performance between the two.
If you've got the system prefs one going smoothly, then stick with it, but personally I've had issues with it resuming units or acknowledging passkeys and extra parameters.

As you've figured out, you'll need the -advmethods flag for v6, although even then work might be a bit sparse.

The v7 client is going to be the future and although approaching maturity for Windows, it's still very much beta on the Mac. (If you choose to give it a go, there is an uninstaller that you'll want to use - you can't just drag v7 to the trash!)

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Welcome onboard!

I don't think there is any difference in performance between the two.
If you've got the system prefs one going smoothly, then stick with it, but personally I've had issues with it resuming units or acknowledging passkeys and extra parameters.

As you've figured out, you'll need the -advmethods flag for v6, although even then work might be a bit sparse.

The v7 client is going to be the future and although approaching maturity for Windows, it's still very much beta on the Mac. (If you choose to give it a go, there is an uninstaller that you'll want to use - you can't just drag v7 to the trash!)

Will v7 work with 10.5.8? That's my main issue

:(

I just tried the newest beta version and it said that I was filling files in my / directory and to contact the manufacturer

lol

still running 6.29.3 and seems that I'll be around only 2000 pts/day (with the bonus)

running the -smp and -advmethods switches.

Last edited:

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
What name as you folding under? I'm not seeing you on the list of team members. Or have you not completed a WU yet?

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
What name as you folding under? I'm not seeing you on the list of team members. Or have you not completed a WU yet?

Sorry. I didn't realize this forum would be so active with the date of the original threads.

Using my current username (have passkey)

Rig: 2008 iMac 20" w/2.66GHz C2D and 4GB DDR2 running OS 10.5.8

Set-up: FAH 6.29.3 (FAH 7 not working on OS 10.5) "installed" running the "-smp -advmethods" switches

I guess that I don't really need the "-smp" switch

Should be only 400pts/day until the bonus kicks in :(

Not much else I can do at the moment (as the Blackbook/Al unibody MB/13.3"MBA are used for other software in environments where fan noises are bad.)

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I guess that I don't really need the "-smp" switch

You probably want the smp flag. It's what allows you to use all cores of the processer rather than just one. The advmethods flag isn't really necessary. You could get better units, you could get worse units.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
You probably want the smp flag. It's what allows you to use all cores of the processer rather than just one. The advmethods flag isn't really necessary. You could get better units, you could get worse units.

thanks for the info. will the -advmethods flag potentially avoid the lack of appropriate units that i was experiencing.

also, it seems that the group is working on making fah v7 compatible for 10.5, but it's not in the beta version yet.

maybe it's time for a new machine, how the best i7 iMac do? does it still run at 85+C core temp?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Finally hooked my new mac mini server up yesterday and hoping to get it folding. Anybody use a mini server for folding? I've noticed what seem to me to be higher temps than what my other machines run at for just normal use.

Once i get my iMac ironed out i'lll bring it back online as well. Its a mid 07 but I'm playing with upgrading the processor to something newer.

this is my first time runningg a machine with hyper threading i added -smp -advmethods parameters and it seems to be up. It's running at %770~ does that seem correct? i always used to see %400~ on my mac pro

Last edited:

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Finally hooked my new mac mini server up yesterday and hoping to get it folding. Anybody use a mini server for folding? I've noticed what seem to me to be higher temps than what my other machines run at for just normal use.

Once i get my iMac ironed out i'lll bring it back online as well. Its a mid 07 but I'm playing with upgrading the processor to something newer.

this is my first time runningg a machine with hyper threading i added -smp -advmethods parameters and it seems to be up. It's running at %770~ does that seem correct? i always used to see %400~ on my mac pro

Close to 800% would be a quad core processor with hyperthreading, which the Mini server would be.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Close to 800% would be a quad core processor with hyperthreading, which the Mini server would be.

Cool just making sure.

Temps shot up to 90 degrees celcius within a minute or two of it starting. Seems to have leveled out around 86 now but fans going at 4500rpm which I think is full blast

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
not that it produces a lot of points, but i let the machine run over the weekend and everything went ok.

i'll just let it run until the end of time and look around for some new hardware, in the meantime.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I've been doing this anonymously for a while. That's the nick that shows up in the list. Currently #136. Anonymous.

I have a different nick in system preferences.

Can someone explain to me how to change from anonymous to my nick that is in system preferences ?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I'm not liking these temps I'm seeing on the mac mini. 90 celsius and the fan maxed out. I shut the machine down when i left this morning cause i just wasn't comfortable leaving it running when i wasn't here. I may see if i can devise a cooling solution for it. Since the only work it does is transcoding video i figured i'll run it on folding the rest of the time so hopefully i can figure something out.

In other news i've got a penryn chip on the way for my mid 07 iMac. Hopefully it will work if it. The T9300 i put in it is a penryn as well but its reading an incorrect clock speed and not much of an improvement over what the stock 2.4ghz would do. This new one is a 3.06 so hopefully i'll see some better results. If it goes well i may try and find a core2extreme penryn chip which is quad core and stuff that in there. Though i'm sure that will need a better cooling system as well.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I've been doing this anonymously for a while. That's the nick that shows up in the list. Currently #136. Anonymous.

I have a different nick in system preferences.

Can someone explain to me how to change from anonymous to my nick that is in system preferences ?

what are you folding on under anonymous? and what client are you using?

I'm not liking these temps I'm seeing on the mac mini. 90 celsius and the fan maxed out. I shut the machine down when i left this morning cause i just wasn't comfortable leaving it running when i wasn't here. I may see if i can devise a cooling solution for it. Since the only work it does is transcoding video i figured i'll run it on folding the rest of the time so hopefully i can figure something out.

let us know what you figure out. i also recently got a mini server, and i may try to fold with it later. i'm curious to know what kind of ppd you get

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
what are you folding on under anonymous? and what client are you using?

let us know what you figure out. i also recently got a mini server, and i may try to fold with it later. i'm curious to know what kind of ppd you get

how do you check the PPD?

The temp doesn't bother me that much its more the fan running between 5000and 5500pm which is its max. It looks like it pulls are in thru a tiny gap between that plastic bottom and the aluminum casing and then spits it out the back thru a small opening. Maybe pull the bottom off make some kind of stand that incorporates a PC fan pushing air up into the intake to try and force more cool air into it. just need to make it look nice to sit on my desk and probably incorporate some type of filter so it doesn't build up so much dust

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
how do you check the PPD?

The temp doesn't bother me that much its more the fan running between 5000and 5500pm which is its max. It looks like it pulls are in thru a tiny gap between that plastic bottom and the aluminum casing and then spits it out the back thru a small opening. Maybe pull the bottom off make some kind of stand that incorporates a PC fan pushing air up into the intake to try and force more cool air into it. just need to make it look nice to sit on my desk and probably incorporate some type of filter so it doesn't build up so much dust

I thought I read somewhere that someone with a quad-core iMac was folding with 2 out of 4 cores because the temps were around 95C with all 4 cores folding. They didn't see a huge performance hit, maybe 15% or so (or so they said).

I think you can do this with the "-smp 2" switch.

IIRC, correctly, their temps dropped to around 70-75C from 90-95C.

Also, can one swap the processors in an iMac?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I thought I read somewhere that someone with a quad-core iMac was folding with 2 out of 4 cores because the temps were around 95C with all 4 cores folding. They didn't see a huge performance hit, maybe 15% or so (or so they said).

I think you can do this with the "-smp 2" switch.

IIRC, correctly, their temps dropped to around 70-75C from 90-95C.

Also, can one swap the processors in an iMac?

Thanks I'll try this till I find a better solution.

I have the mid 2007 model which was the first aluminum one and it is possible. Cheap too. I looked at chips up to the 09 models. I'd assume 2010 and 2011 are swappable also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.