Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Bummer. I really wanted that 4 inch screen...

I would have been fine with a 3.7" screen, even. I had a Blackberry torch on Verizon for a few days and I noticed the difference in size compared to the iPhone. Then again... I didn't like the blackberry compared to my iPhone :p

Still with my Android phone, 4.3" works fine for me.

I'm somewhat unhappy with this rumour as well; I would prefer a larger screen if they were able to maintain the phone's relative dimensions. Otherwise, I would prefer the screen to remain similar.

Some people would consider a bigger screen to be more awkward to hold, but my HTC Rezound phone has a 4.3" screen, higher pixel density and higher resolution than my iPhone and I don't feel like I am gonna drop it. It also fits in my pocket just fine

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
If this ends up being the case I'll keep my 4S for another year and wait for the 7th gen iPhone. I'm waiting for a 4" screen.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Needs a bigger screen. The iPhone looks dwarfed next to competitors. With all the multitasking, new apps like garageband, iPhoto, we need every half inch we can get.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I think it's safe to assume the iphone 5 will be 4G(LTE). I would bet money on it. I also think, contrary to this article, that it will indeed get a bigger screen. That seems to be the trend lately. And I for one would welcome a 4" screen.

I would also think a re-design is a good bet. Although, you never know. Apple could just slap in LTE capabilities into the current form factor. But i doubt it. It's time for a new look in my book. :)

Other than that, i hope they improve the battery life from the iphone 4S....another reason a larger screen makes sense. Larger screen....more room for a slightly larger battery. Heh heh heh

Anyway...i guess we will find out in June/July...um or is it September/October now? lol.

Whenever!

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm still on an iPad hangover, this news is too soon for me.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll be upgrading to this if the big upgrade is LTE. However, I'm sure the A5X will be included. The only thing that sucks is the fact that if I don't upgrade, I'll be stuck with AT&T for another year.

Le Buzz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
I'm really not clamoring for a bigger screen, 3.5 is just fine. If I want a little more screen real estate, I'm going to pick up my iPad.

I need my iPhone to be ultra portable, comfortable to hold, and not put a huge bulge in my front jeans pocket. I've never had a problem doing what I need to do on the move with my iPhone because of the screen size. I'm not going to spend the entire day surfing the web on the thing, because I don't need to, I'm going to use my iPad or my desktop for that.

I would hate to see a huge beast of an iPhone released. Keep it small and tidy.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
A microdock connector? Nothing like making all those spare docking cables we have bough over the years useless. Thanks Apple.

You're worried about Dock connector cables?

Removing the standardized connector pretty much means every officially licensed accessory is useless going forward. Most of those are pretty pricey and many of us have spent years investing in them.

I love my Geneva Model S, but won't be buying another one for awhile yet. I'll just put off getting a new iPhone for awhile.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Then I'm out. I need something with a bigger screen for my tired old eyes.

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
The haters should be commencing shortly hehe. Prediction: This iPhone is the most successful one yet, and then the haters have to wait another year to rehash the "it's over for apple" stuff hehe :D

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
No way will they keep 3.5" screen, it's far too outdated.
Only if you consider the human hand outdated, and the idea of a handheld device being usable with one hand.

SuperSizing for the sake of marketing/supersizing is outdated, I grew out of that phase in my teen years and have long since left the McDonalds mentality behind.

Want to use two hands? Try an iPad.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Make it a smaller phone, with the same screen size. Make the battery last for a loooong time, and watch the Koreans realize once again they cannot lead, only follow.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Another iPhone that looks exactly the same then? People are gonna get bored, I am already. It won't look any different from my iPhone 4.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
No way will they keep 3.5" screen, it's far too outdated.

Everyone has pretty much moved on to at least 4"...

I do love the size of my iPhone... but I've really started to hate the screen size. So many of the apps I use would just be stellar with a bit more screen real-estate. Seeing all the mock-ups of a bezel-less iPhone show they can pull off the best of both worlds, or only marginally increase the size of the device.

To the people who said there is no software evidence... well, considering that would probably be all in IOS 6, I doubt you'd have seen any. When the developer preview comes out, then you can make those statements fairly.

I personally think Apple should consider more than 1 model. (Keeping old models in production is hardly the same thing.) Sure the iPhone sells like hotcakes, and when you compare devices by vendor its at the top of the lists... but IOS marketshare has been declining to Android. That thing about choice does make a difference. Why couldn't they offer both? I'm sure they wouldn't...

But we shall see. I'm rumored out. Tomorrow a new source will make all new and different claims... however, the 4" screen was widely expected for what turned out to be the 4S, and this source is one of the few not claiming a 4" screen. We know they've had a 4" in the labs from part leaks and the like, so that they've played with the idea for awhile give me some hope.

ARCoria

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
What about this quote, I just saw this morn'n?

"(Reuters) - Apple Inc's new iPhone will have a sharper and bigger 4.6-inch "retina" display and is set to be launched around the second quarter, a South Korean media reported on Thursday."
Is it a false article? hmmmmm

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Of course it is.

There's been little suggestion other than rumours of a bigger screen (i.e. no software related hints).

I'd like a 4" screen however. But happy with 3.5".

The thing is, I don't think there would be any software hints. If the new iPhone went to 4" I believe they would keep the same resolution. I'm pretty sure it would still be close to 300 dpi.

Buttons and such would be fine, only marginally bigger. But text would be more readable because the screen is larger, you just wouldn't get any extra "content area". Compared to the iPad's screen buttons and toolbars would still be smaller

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Why is Liquid Metal better than normal metal for the end user?

LiquidMetal is extremely strong, much stronger than glass. From what I understand it can also be made to be electromagnetically transparent, so it wouldn't interfere with antennae reception like most metals would.

Having said that, I doubt they're ready to debut a LiquidMetal body. But who knows - maybe they've spent the past two years perfecting the manufacturing process for consumer electronics. I didn't think they'd make a 10-inch Retina display either :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.