Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skyland

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
I love my Mac and because I'm a gamer, especially when it lets me play PC-only games. Have your cake and eat it too. Any questions about bootcamp, feel free to ask! :)

Sorry to bump but I do have a question. I do use bootcamp on my little 13 inch laptop and it actually runs well. The only game I played on it is League of Legends. But my question is, do you think that it will run well on bootcamp? Im kinda scared the screen will black out or the game will close. What do you think?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sorry to bump but I do have a question. I do use bootcamp on my little 13 inch laptop and it actually runs well. The only game I played on it is League of Legends. But my question is, do you think that it will run well on bootcamp? Im kinda scared the screen will black out or the game will close. What do you think?

Welcome to the MR forums! :) What is your hardware specs? I've got mine listed in my signature.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

Here's a best guess of the spec requirements.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.7 KB · Views: 542

Zelnaga

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
21.5-inch: 2.7GHz
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

Anyone tried the Guild Wars 2 beta with the iMac 2011 spec? Im tempted to install Windows 7 to play this game but would like to know how it runs!

lc25

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
I literally can't way after completing the original on two accounts and having nothing left to do this past year has been like torture. Shame i can't play it natively but boot camping won't be to much of an issue and hopefully Crossover make a port quick enough.

RickTheRigged

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
7 years ago, I started playing the first GW game and i got addicted pretty quickly, played it intensely for more than 4 years and then quit because I felt like there was nothing more to discover in the game... Now I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that the sequel seems even more innovative. Actually I never considered installing Windows 7 via Boot Camp, but because of this game I changed my mind!

21.5-inch: 2.7GHz
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

Anyone tried the Guild Wars 2 beta with the iMac 2011 spec? Im tempted to install Windows 7 to play this game but would like to know how it runs!

Well I'm pretty sure your iMac will be good enough to run the game... But you could try it yourself: according to https://buy.guildwars2.com/ , if you pre-order the game right now, you'll get access to all beta events, which means you could possibly start playing GW2 as soon as the next beta event is scheduled.

Collected

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Anyone know how the most recent 15 inch MPB is likely to handle this game? Core i5, 2.4GHz, GeForce GT 330M, 256MB.

I appreciate full details will be out of the question but reasonable detail and 30+ FPS i'm interested in. Obviously running under bootcamp.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Guildwars 2 Preview @ PCGamer.

You don’t need to hate the way things are to look forward to change. The Guild Wars 2 hype has set it up as a rebuttal to the way things are done in MMOs: a rejection of unchanging worlds, heroism without consequence and epic battles that are more about logistics than bravado.

These expectations have been generated as much by the gaming community as by NCsoft’s marketing. Simply by promising to do things differently, Guild Wars 2 has found itself nominated as the saviour of its genre. Lead designer Eric Flannum is more modest. “What we tried to do was take a look at what an MMO could be, and try to make it appeal to not only people who love MMOs but also people who maybe haven’t tried an MMO for various reasons.”

As someone who likes MMOs – and who isn’t necessarily convinced they need saving – I’m treating my uninterrupted weekend with the game as an opportunity to see how far it can deliver on its big ideas. If it can convince me that we really have been doing everything wrong since World of Warcraft, then ArenaNet could be on to something.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
So I've been playing beta this weekend, and my impression of the game is very good.
Quests are very dynamic, some trivial, some hard and all of them very fun.
Almost all quests can be solved in different ways.
Since there is no mob tagging, your own loot (loot drops drop for you, not for the group).
If someone has attacked an veteran of champion mob, you can help out and get xp and loot!
This makes people very helpful!

You get XP for ressing people, so if you die and someone is close by, you'll get ressed 99% of the time!

The client is very beta. On friday performance was awful, even people with newest ivy bridge i7s and GTX680/Radeon7970 had low FPS.
There was a small hot fix and performance is now ok, but not great.

On my system I can play it on max settings (looks gorgeous) and keep 30ish FPS, low settings (which is ok) gives me a +5 FPS, so there is optimizing to be done.

And yes, there are server lag and disconnects, but hey, it's beta.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
So I've been playing beta this weekend, and my impression of the game is very good.
Quests are very dynamic, some trivial, some hard and all of them very fun.
Almost all quests can be solved in different ways.
Since there is no mob tagging, your own loot (loot drops drop for you, not for the group).
If someone has attacked an veteran of champion mob, you can help out and get xp and loot!
This makes people very helpful!

I keep hearing how dynamic the gameplay is and how even though it's a themepark MMO, it feels like a sandbox.

What's the difference between this and WOW?

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Guild Wars 2 sounds like a lot of fun so far. I'd love a new MMORPG to get into that can still be fun while being challenging, while at the same time not be insanely difficult. Maybe that's too much to hope for though, especially since games seem to either be World of Warcraft simple or Ever Quest difficult .

Since I'm already dreaming big I'll hope for a Playstation 3 version while I'm at it lol.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I keep hearing how dynamic the gameplay is and how even though it's a themepark MMO, it feels like a sandbox.

What's the difference between this and WOW?

You don't get quests that sends you around (except your solo story line),
events spawn and a farm can be overrun with centaurs, where you can help take it back, this can of course fail. This mean the zones are changing from time to time (although if you stay the same place for a longer time you might see it repeats).

All quests have several ways to be solved, f.ex you have to prove yourself to be a great hunter. Go kill something big, it does not to be that particular "lion", you can go kill an elephant instead.

it's still a theme park, but you never have to kill X goblins, you can do a variation of other tasks instead.

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Anyone played the beta on a MBP 15? Am I expecting too much to play it on that hardware?

I played it on my early 2011 2.3GHz MPB. The FPS was enough to make it playable.

Changing the graphics settings to either Low or High didn't make the FPS much different on my MBP.

Since the beta was CPU-bound and only utilized single core, i'm expecting a lot higher performance when it gets optimized to use GPU and multiple CPU cores closer to release.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
You don't get quests that sends you around (except your solo story line),
events spawn and a farm can be overrun with centaurs, where you can help take it back, this can of course fail. This mean the zones are changing from time to time (although if you stay the same place for a longer time you might see it repeats).

All quests have several ways to be solved, f.ex you have to prove yourself to be a great hunter. Go kill something big, it does not to be that particular "lion", you can go kill an elephant instead.

it's still a theme park, but you never have to kill X goblins, you can do a variation of other tasks instead.

Reminds me a little bit of Warhammer Online, but much more complex and not stuck to a particular area. I like that there's no handholding either. I'm gonna preorder next month.

Read Section 7 and 8 of the MacRumors GW2 Quick & Dirty Guide.

Thanks. Nice job on the guide btw

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
I played it on my early 2011 2.3GHz MPB. The FPS was enough to make it playable.

Changing the graphics settings to either Low or High didn't make the FPS much different on my MBP.

Since the beta was CPU-bound and only utilized single core, i'm expecting a lot higher performance when it gets optimized to use GPU and multiple CPU cores closer to release.

Are you using bootcamp drivers for your GPU?

App King

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The beta was fun. I have a i7 gtx 285 6 gig ram and it ran well. The towns were a bit laggy when graphics were on max.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Two weeks to retail. Who is planning on playing?

I purchased a digital download yesterday from Best Buy. For their digital downloads, you have to use their Best Buy PC App. From this App, I downloaded the GW2 starter file and then nothing. There is a manual start button which clicked but nothing happened. Through Best Buy's tech support, I discovered you have to make invisible files visible, then go find the Best Buy App and locate the file within it. Once I did that I was good to go. Downloading from Arena Net's was incredibly fast, much faster than previously during beta. I was getting 2MB per second. It seemed like it only took a couple of hours to download.

moreofalot

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
Two weeks to retail. Who is planning on playing?

I purchased a digital download yesterday from Best Buy. For their digital downloads, you have to use their Best Buy PC App. From this App, I downloaded the GW2 starter file and then nothing. There is a manual start button which clicked but nothing happened. Through Best Buy's tech support, I discovered you have to make invisible files visible, then go find the Best Buy App and locate the file within it. Once I did that I was good to go. Downloading from Arena Net's was incredibly fast, much faster than previously during beta. I was getting 2MB per second. It seemed like it only took a couple of hours to download.

Did you create an account at guildwars2.com? Take the code from the Best Buy App (there should be one somewhere), enter it, and you should be good to go. Well, unless you already did this?

EDIT: Also, for anyone who would like to know. I played on my mid-2010 macbook (the last one made) with the same specs except for 4gb instead of 2gb and I ran the game fine. I played mostly on "Best Performance" (sometimes on "Balanced") and there was some lag in WvW, but not really in PvE. I blame most performance issues on Stress Testing and lack of optimization though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Did you create an account at guildwars2.com? Take the code from the Best Buy App (there should be one somewhere), enter it, and you should be good to go. Well, unless you already did this?

EDIT: Also, for anyone who would like to know. I played on my mid-2010 macbook (the last one made) with the same specs except for 4gb instead of 2gb and I ran the game fine. I played mostly on "Best Performance" (sometimes on "Balanced") and there was some lag in WvW, but not really in PvE. I blame most performance issues on Stress Testing and lack of optimization though.

If you read my post, you'd see that I did get the game installed. :) However that is good advice about going straight to guildwars2.com and just using your serial number there to create an account or download the client. The Best Buy PC App is on the lame side...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.