Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
But is the Mac OS X any closer to having resolution independence?

I want to stop running my 1680x1050 15" MBP in the slightly blurry non-native 1440x852 resolution. (I do that because all the text at 1680x1050 looks too small.)
It's assumed Apple's stopped working on that in favor of HiDPI bitmaps and larger fonts. If they do the conversion they way they did iOS (from non retina to retina) then the user won't notice a difference with the exception of a much sharper screen. The text will scale perfectly and look sharper to boot.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The text should not be so pixelated like the graphics. Text is a vector by default and will not get fuzzy when it's increased.
Oh he was talking about the left image. Got it. Should've thought of that.

Either way, as you said, text is easy to scale, it's the bitmaps that show you the big difference and that was my main point.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
It's assumed Apple's stopped working on that in favor of HiDPI bitmaps and larger fonts. If they do the conversion they way they did iOS (from non retina to retina) then the user won't notice a difference with the exception of a much sharper screen. The text will scale perfectly and look sharper to boot.

Agreed essentially its all about apple getting the GUI sorted for Different DPI's
The View of an application is already where it should be, You can already zoom apps like Safari to what ever suits you

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
Retina display would be awesome but I really want IPS display!!
Though it would be pricey, at least it is a pricey option for those HP notebooks, I would love an IPS display.

I am sure if Apple brought out a "Retina" display on the MBA/MBP line there would be a lot of people complaining the text is a bit small. Hell, when the Sony Vaio Z came out with its optional 1080p display there were a few Apple fans saying that too high of a res for 13in display. Hell, I even read a few people who own that model with that particular res, found a bit hard to use as text is a bit small.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
New displayS for my Mac Pro! :)

(and please make the cables long enough to reach, and more than one size would be nice, say 20/23/30 - seem familiar ;) )

I tried this on one of my 24" LED LCD's at 960x600 (HiDPI) and I was amazed! What a difference, I would love to see this at higher resolutions with HiDPI displays. Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
The good news is when Apple puts the beautiful hires displays in the iMac and MacBook Pros they will finally have to put a decent video card into them by default.

The bad news is Apple will once again put in just enough horse power to drive the new display but we won't see any real improvement for gaming. Just like the iPad 3rd gen.

Of course when you're looking at a 27 inch Retina display you'll be too busy drooling for much of that to matter.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
I dunno how much we would be drooling if that retina display is a bog standard LCD display. IPS on the other hand we would drool, but only away from the computer as at least on some brands its a $400-600 option over LCD. Hopefully, that means if they do keep it LCD, they would increase the color gamut from crappy budget levels(seriously 50% level for the MBA is abysmal) to a more respectable 85% or higher(and matte options on all models would be nice).

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
No

I am very happy with my screen, everything looks as clear as it needs to be from where I sit.

I don't want a 'retina' display mac, especially on the 13in MacBooks. These MacBooks just have enough graphic performance for me to play my games, a retina display would require a much beefier graphics card would it not?

I would much prefer a better graphics card that in my macbook that will help me to run games, render etc, that have it use its power to give me a hi res screen.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
The bad news is Apple will once again put in just enough horse power to drive the new display but we won't see any real improvement for gaming. Just like the iPad 3rd gen.
You forget that you have the option to play the games at a lower resolution. With a retina display and a good scaling algorithm it should not result in fuzzy graphics like it does today. If you play on a 20% lower res it looks bad.
If you play at 50% the res it looks perfect.
It is back to CRT scaling for gaming in a way. You can pick the resolution you want and it will always look good. Today I usually prefer to play at native (1080p) and disable AA rather than play at 900p or 720p and enable more details.

A stronger GPU, decent scaling logic and the resolution to choose sounds like a very good deal to me.

I still doubt it will show. I just don't believe it is viable yet. The cost is too high and no real pressure on Apple to do it. The iPad had lots of competition with screens at least as good. Samsung developed the display and it would have ended up in some tablets. The higher power consumption doesn't hurt as much.
MBP's there is hardly any real competition. Most notebook displays are crap. A bigger screen cost a lot and you'd need a bigger battery to balance it out. Not sure if they think it is worth it.

CarlosTheJackl

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Thoughts?

MBA = new standard Macbook Line?

MBP = old MBP with design / tech queues from the MBA, such as no optical drive and flash memory etc., however will still be thicker due to a retina display?

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
You forget that you have the option to play the games at a lower resolution.

Good point. I often play at lower than native resolution but as you also said it can look fuzzy so it's not optimal.

With a Crossfire 6870 setup on a PC you can play at 2650 x 1600 with virtually no problems and that setup will only cost you about $380. That's about what Apple would charge you for video card upgrade and a tiny bit of memory that won't make a bit of difference.

Of course we all know it's not about the cost it's about the experience and gaming on Macs isn't an optimal experience when compared to the PC.

Gruber

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
It's assumed Apple's stopped working on that [Resolution Independence] in favor of HiDPI bitmaps and larger fonts. ... The text will scale perfectly and look sharper to boot.

At the moment, MacOS is designed for a resolution below 100dpi (extremely noticeable in the scaling of Office documents!) and current Macbooks already run above that. As a result, people above the age of 35 often have difficulty using MacOS.

If Apple simply quadruples the resolution, the squinting problem won't change. Especially since every Macbook form factor has its own resolution.

It is embarrassing that Microsoft has nailed resolution independence since Windows XP, while Apple has given up on it.

Gruber

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
We'll have retina display MBPs before summer!!

That is what the rumors say. However, some caveats:

1. The Macbook Air has been the technology showcase in the past. Also, its last refresh has been quite a while ago.

2. Lion has HiDpi modes still hidden, so the update is likely to appear at or after the launch of Mountain Lion (June). Also, Ivy Bridge, which will help in rendering all that goodness, is due in summer.

3. 13in MBPs are Apple's low end model, so the 13in MBA would be a more logical choice.

The current max resolution for Thunderbolt displays is 2560×1440. It might make sense to keep it that way for now, so the logical resolution of HiDpi screens would be 1280 x 720. That means a noticeable drop in what you can fit on your screen on all models, but it is close to the 11in MBA (1380 x 768) and the 13in MBP (1280 x 800). On the other hand, while the 15in MBP would loose a lot of useable space, its current dot pitch is the lowest (at 110dpi). A retina update might bring that up to a reasonable 200dpi.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
But is the Mac OS X any closer to having resolution independence?

I want to stop running my 1680x1050 15" MBP in the slightly blurry non-native 1440x852 resolution. (I do that because all the text at 1680x1050 looks too small.)

Agreed. Macs work with many different screens with many different pixel sizes. HiDPI only makes sense when you have constant screen sizes - e.g. 3.5" and 9.7" iOS devices.

However, I'm sure Apple's reasoning is that it's mitigated on the desktop by the use of a high precision pointing device rather than a touch based UI.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
At the moment, MacOS is designed for a resolution below 100dpi (extremely noticeable in the scaling of Office documents!) and current Macbooks already run above that. As a result, people above the age of 35 often have difficulty using MacOS.

If Apple simply quadruples the resolution, the squinting problem won't change. Especially since every Macbook form factor has its own resolution.

It is embarrassing that Microsoft has nailed resolution independence since Windows XP, while Apple has given up on it.
The point was that Apple will use a larger font so that the user will have no idea that anything has changed other than the screen sharpness increasing. Think about going from the iPhone 3G's screen to the iPhone 4's. They look identical (the font doesn't look smaller) other than the iPhone 4's screen is incredibly sharp. Same thing will happen here.

I get the point of different screen sizes but there are also different font sizes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.