Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
The thing that scares me is that MVNOs can fold over, overnight, and you would just lose your phone number. Look what happened to Amp'd Mobile, Helio, and the other MVNOs out there. The only MVNO that seems to have stuck around is Tracfone and Virgin Mobile.

Is Red Pocket Mobile stable, business wise?

----------

YouMail is not only on Cydia, but the Apple app store as well, see for yourself :).

It is worth it for the "hangup" notification alone.
check out straight talk....only $45/month.

i'm not worried about it...i ported my number to google voice when i left AT&T. you could do the same if you are worried about it...google voice is awesome.

iag48

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Just wondering how many different APN settings are there for Red Pocket Mobile/Stargate?

My service seems to suffer in my apartment and various locations. I was thinking perhaps I can remedy the problem by changing APNs. Also, do you think that because I have a Stargate sim and Stargate carrier name, that my service quality is different than those with Red Pocket sims?

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Hey all

Looking into Redpocket for my wife.

So what needs to be changed for MMS to work? Is there anyway to do this without a JB?

Any other issues I should know about?

Thanks

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wait, how will it work on an unlocked Vzw or sprint 4S?

Can anyone confirm this? I have a unlocked Verizon 4S and although I've only tried once, and it was before my restore after the unlock had been issued, i still don't see it working.

Note I didn't use a red pocket sim, only a hand cut sim from family mobile. Will have to try again.

The GSM sim slot unlock for Verizon and Sprint is for international carriers only, not for US carriers, so it will not work.

808MacFan

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
porting

I entered my account information in the activate web form on goredpocket.com
and have not heard a word back yet. Tmobile phone number im porting says its still ACTIVE. If you have ported, how long did it take? I havent even gotten a email from red pocket yet, and its a waste of time calling their 888 number for support, i hng up after waiting for 28 minutes...

thanks for your reply in advance...

808MacFan

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
I guess they dont email you til theres a problem with the port in process...

heres what it says on the port webpage...

ERROR: Port In request already in progress

Yours sincerely,

Red Pocket Mobile Customer Service
Toll Free: 1-888-993-3888
Email: cs@redpocketmobile.com
Online at: goredpocket.com

psnARMEDps3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
US
I guess they dont email you til theres a problem with the port in process...

heres what it says on the port webpage...

ERROR: Port In request already in progress

Yours sincerely,

Red Pocket Mobile Customer Service
Toll Free: 1-888-993-3888
Email: cs@redpocketmobile.com
Online at: goredpocket.com

How long ago did you submit the request. For me(switching from h2o) I called my previous carrier and asked if they received a port request and to allow it. Not to long after that, I ported my number

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Swithed to Red Pocket on Friday, loving it so far. Getting the same download speeds as I did on AT&T and the same service, and for half the price I was paying before, cannot beat it.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
check out straight talk....only $45/month.

i'm not worried about it...i ported my number to google voice when i left AT&T. you could do the same if you are worried about it...google voice is awesome.
The thing about Google voice is not being able to use the native SMS app to send texts out of.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
The thing about Google voice is not being able to use the native SMS app to send texts out of.

you can man. you just have to save that unique google voice number that google assigns to all your friends numbers. Once you save that with the contact info just text that number instead of your friends real phone number.

macrazee

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
you can man. you just have to save that unique google voice number that google assigns to all your friends numbers. Once you save that with the contact info just text that number instead of your friends real phone number.

This, but it is kind of a PITA, especially if you have a large contact list. I only have a handful of them so not too difficult to go back and add a "GV" tag with each contacts "GV" assigned number.

rich210

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
verizon iphone 4s t red pocket

has anyone used a Verizon iphone 4s on Red pocket yet?

and if so,do you still get the download internet speeds as if the phone was an att phone?

i think you have to ulock the phone to work on red pocket.

just wondering if ill get the same features as if i was on att like siri facetime and such.

Please help!

:apple::confused:

ChocolatPistol

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
I ordered my Red Pocket SIMS on Amazon for 80¢ each (beats paying $20 on their website) and so far I have no complaints. I ported my number from GoPhone because of AT&T's smartphone restrictions and my Android phone's working just fine on RPM. I plan on switching to an iPhone, so I'll update my experience then but this is definitely a worthwhile consideration if you don't wanna pay $100+ just for a phone.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
has anyone used a Verizon iphone 4s on Red pocket yet?

and if so,do you still get the download internet speeds as if the phone was an att phone?

i think you have to ulock the phone to work on red pocket.

just wondering if ill get the same features as if i was on att like siri facetime and such.

Please help!

:apple::confused:
Best to use either an AT&T one or an unlocked GSM one. THe Verizon models I believe have US carriers blocked out, so the SIM cards would be rejected every time....then its a whole unlocking and jail breaking mess all over again.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I am loving Red Pocket. :D

27y8tu8.png

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
IF you don't call internationally then your best bet is Straight Talk, They have been around for a long time(owned by Tracfone) $15 cheaper+they do have international texting as well(don't abuse obviously) plus about 1.5-2GB Data(before they get upset)

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
misteake

yep, just tested my new h2o acc & my 3g throttled at 1mb vs att's 5mb at the same spot before, but ... no other mvno has that sweet $25/m plan ... yes you only get 80mb with that, but i already have LTE mywi with verizon from work

yes, h2o phone customer service sucks, although ... their on-line chat is not bad (1-2 min) ... again, i'm saving $600/year ... as in new iPhone every year :)

but i'll keep hot pocket in mind if h2o doesn't work out

Ndiaz2006

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
What do I have to do to receive MMS on my iPhone?? Please help me :)

Last edited:

applemessiah

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2011
I am using a sprint 4s with straight talk and it works perfect. I unlocked using r-sim and after jailbreaking and adjusting apn settings I got data and mms working. 3G coverage is the same as if I were on AT&T and you just can't beat $45 for unlimited everything.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
H2o was doing just fine and then they dropped the ball, they changed the terms of their plans no longer offering unlimited DATA, and the call quality is not that great at night time for some odd reason < i get one bar of service, now my question is doesnt red pocket use the same network as h2o? I dont want to experience the same horrible call quality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.