Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
So I just added replaced my hard drive, and now I need to transfer some files over, and some of the files were located in the user/library folder. I know that Lion hides it by default, but you can get around it easily on the built in hard drive. But how would I access the user/library folder on my external hard drive with my old data?

Nov 28, 2010
located
2012_03_120_pA1_GoToLibraryFolder.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion:
  • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
  • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
  • Make it permanently visible by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library​
  • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, I've heard all of these steps before.

But I need to see the library folder for the EXTERNAL DRIVE. Not the internal one.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

But I need to see the library folder for the EXTERNAL DRIVE. Not the internal one.
You should be able to see it on the external drive, as it shouldn't be hidden there. If it is, just change it to show all files, using the method in the link I posted.

waxrain

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
Come on. This is all over Google.....

Open the Terminal.app and type this:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

S-

This is all over Google, yes. Too bad it doesn't work.

The only way I've been able to have it permanently show is the "Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu" and then drag the icon in the tab to the Finder menu.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This is all over Google, yes. Too bad it doesn't work.

The only way I've been able to have it permanently show is the "Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu" and then drag the icon in the tab to the Finder menu.
Read post #5, as well as the link there. It does work.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California

Fine. Use your brain. Get the full path to the folder you want to see in the Finder and put this command in front of it:

chflags nohidden

So the command in the Terminal.app will look something like this:

chflags nohidden /Volumes/<volume_name>/Users/<username>/Library/

If the volume name is "External" and the username is "adam", the command would look something like this:

chflags nohidden /Volumes/External/Users/adam/Library/

S-

tron2005

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Planet Earth
Come on. This is all over Google.....

Open the Terminal.app and type this:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

S-

Well this is NOT working on my MacBook Air running OS X 10.8

Yes I can click Go from Finder and then hold down the Option key to
see the Library folder BUT I cannot make that damn Library folder
appear permanently.

Like I said "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" does NOT work!!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"But I need to see the library folder for the EXTERNAL DRIVE. Not the internal one."

Is the external drive bootable?
That is, a "bootable clone"?

If that's the case, I would:
1. boot from the external drive
2. run the terminal command while booted from the external, then..
3. reboot from the internal drive.

May or may not work, but might be worth a try.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well this is NOT working on my MacBook Air running OS X 10.8

Yes I can click Go from Finder and then hold down the Option key to
see the Library folder BUT I cannot make that damn Library folder
appear permanently.

Like I said "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" does NOT work!!
Did you try relaunching Finder after entering that command in Terminal? The command does work, if you do it right.

tron2005

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Planet Earth
Did you try relaunching Finder after entering that command in Terminal? The command does work, if you do it right.

OMG I'm gonna type that command via Terminal then I'm gonna walk
away and not even check to see if it works.

Get real, of course I checked and now, read my lips...

ENTERING THE TERMINAL COMMAND "chflags nohidden ~/Library/"
ON MY MACBOOK AIR RUNNING 10.8 DOES NOT WORK!!!

Sheesh, stop telling people it works when it doesn't, full stop!!

Have since bought a decent Finder (Path Finder) and lo and behold the
Library folder is now always visible.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OMG I'm gonna type that command via Terminal then I'm gonna walk
away and not even check to see if it works.

Get real, of course I checked and now, read my lips...

ENTERING THE TERMINAL COMMAND "chflags nohidden ~/Library/"
ON MY MACBOOK AIR RUNNING 10.8 DOES NOT WORK!!!

Sheesh, stop telling people it works when it doesn't, full stop!!

Have since bought a decent Finder (Path Finder) and lo and behold the
Library folder is now always visible.
Calm down. It works for everyone but you, so no, I won't quit telling people that it works. When something works for the vast majority but doesn't for a very few, the likelihood is great that the very few either didn't do it correctly, or there is some other mitigating factor. You still didn't answer my question about relaunching Finder.

tron2005

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Planet Earth
Calm down. It works for everyone but you, so no, I won't quit telling people that it works. When something works for the vast majority but doesn't for a very few, the likelihood is great that the very few either didn't do it correctly, or there is some other mitigating factor. You still didn't answer my question about relaunching Finder.

I thought my sarcastic response...

"OMG I'm gonna type that command via Terminal then I'm gonna walk
away and not even check to see if it works."

was answer enough.

But just for you I will spell it out, YES I did relaunch Finder and like I said,
NO visible Library folder shown.

I have the impression that you think I've owned a computer for all of 20 minutes and don't know RAM from ROM, but google TRS-80 and that will tell you how long I've been into computers.

BTW, I have read quite a few responses in various forums from people with the same issue as me and the command "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" doesn't work for them either. No surprise there for me.

Believe me, I'd love to show you personally that "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" does NOT work on my MacBook Air so I could see the expression of surprise on your face when you finally realise I was right.

So it now seems to be (as you stated), "some other mitigating factor" for me and I suggest that rather than blaming people as you also stated - "few either didn't do it correctly", that you would be better off researching what exactly that mitigating factor is.

But for me I don't care anymore as (like I said), I now have Path Finder that does actually display what Finder doesn't.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have the impression that you think I've owned a computer for all of 20 minutes and don't know RAM from ROM, but google TRS-80 and that will tell you how long I've been into computers.
I have no such impression. On a forum, it's impossible to know the extent of a poster's knowledge or experience unless they disclose it. I make no assumptions and try to keep instructions simple enough for any level of computer literacy. And I don't need to Google TRS-80, as I remember clearly when Radio Shack came out with it. I was working and living not far from CEO Charles Tandy at the time the TRS-80 was introduced.
Believe me, I'd love to show you personally that "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" does NOT work on my MacBook Air so I could see the expression of surprise on your face when you finally realise I was right.
I don't question that it's not working for you. Determining why is another matter.
So it now seems to be (as you stated), "some other mitigating factor" for me and I suggest that rather than blaming people as you also stated - "few either didn't do it correctly", that you would be better off researching what exactly that mitigating factor is.
I'm not blaming anyone for anything. Many times people follow procedures incorrectly, claiming the procedure itself doesn't work. It's not a matter of blaming them; it's just fact. This command works. If it doesn't work for a particular person, there is a reason. One possibility is that the person didn't enter the command correctly. Another is that they may not have relaunched Finder. There are other possibilities that would need to be explored. The exact reason it doesn't work for you would need to be determined, but as you have elected a different solution, it's moot.

The point is, the command does work, so it doesn't make sense to stop helping other people with a solution that works for most, just because it didn't work for you.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
tron2005, if you can do so without getting into a pissing match, try this:

Open Terminal, enter the command (copy and paste eliminates any typing errors), and then before you hit enter, take a screenshot with Cmd-Shift-4 and let us see exactly what you see before you push through the command. That way we can help troubleshoot your specific situation. The chflags command definitely works on all of the machines I've ever tried it on, so if there's a problem, it's specific to your setup.

jW

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
for the person/persons the say it doesnt work do you mean it doesnt add it to "Go" menu? because i can confirm it doesn't for me either but it "DOES" unhide it from with my users/myname folder in finder

tron2005

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Planet Earth
tron2005, if you can do so without getting into a pissing match, try this:

Yeah I guess I do tend to get a tad hot under the collar when things don't
go according to plan. I sometimes feel I should change my surname to
Murphy because if something ain't gonna go right then it ain't gonna go
right for me. :eek:

Open Terminal, enter the command (copy and paste eliminates any typing errors), and then before you hit enter, take a screenshot with Cmd-Shift-4 and let us see exactly what you see before you push through the command. That way we can help troubleshoot your specific situation. The chflags command definitely works on all of the machines I've ever tried it on, so if there's a problem, it's specific to your setup.

jW

Ok here we go...

Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 10.52.42 AM.png

BTW, I really do like Path Finder (almost as good as Windows Explorer)... :p
Nah just joking, actually it's waaaaay heaps better and well worth the 40 bucks. :D

tron2005

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Planet Earth
for the person/persons the say it doesnt work do you mean it doesnt add it to "Go" menu? because i can confirm it doesn't for me either but it "DOES" unhide it from with my users/myname folder in finder

I simply wanted the Library folder to be displayed within the Go menu like every other folder does.
When I hold down the Option key inside the Go menu, there it is (Library) until I release the Option key, then poof, it's gone.
It's obviously not a big ask, it works like a gem in Path Finder.
And yes, it does unhide it from my users/myname folder but that's not what
I was after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.